Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: Hand pumping
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:01 am 

"Argon isn't cheap. A 20CF tank of Mig mix gas, is 234$ and then may be limited to where you can get it filled. For that price, you are more than 1/2 way to a PCP compressor."

Agreed, which is why I am considering options. There is also the factor that I could only use the cylinder to fill at home and would require a different regulator for filling the air guns. On the other hand, IME failing to investigate all available options can lead to poor decisions. Filling argon, CO2, nitrogen or mixed gasses is easy to access and convenient in this area, but finding a source for high pressure air is not. I used to have to drive 120 km to have scuba tanks filled so that's not an option, IMO.

I won't sideline this thread into a "which pump shall I buy" but will be considering that in future, if I decide to move up to higher level PCP. I hope that you will be kind enough to offer advice. Thanks.

Webley Viscount .177
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:51 am 

Normk wrote:
"Argon isn't cheap. A 20CF tank of Mig mix gas, is 234$ and then may be limited to where you can get it filled. For that price, you are more than 1/2 way to a PCP compressor."

Agreed, which is why I am considering options. There is also the factor that I could only use the cylinder to fill at home and would require a different regulator for filling the air guns. On the other hand, IME failing to investigate all available options can lead to poor decisions. Filling argon, CO2, nitrogen or mixed gasses is easy to access and convenient in this area, but finding a source for high pressure air is not. I used to have to drive 120 km to have scuba tanks filled so that's not an option, IMO.

I won't sideline this thread into a "which pump shall I buy" but will be considering that in future, if I decide to move up to higher level PCP. I hope that you will be kind enough to offer advice. Thanks.

Well sounds like a compressor would be a worth wile investment. Never have to travel, never have to worry about rental fees. And Argon mix is only 2600 PSI, alot of PCP are in the 3000 PSI range.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:41 pm 

Mr lead slinger, I'm sorry for being such a jerk. You went through the trouble of posting pictures for me , and I didn't have the sense to come back and thank you. Thanks , better late than never. Chuck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:58 pm 

csitas wrote:
Mr lead slinger, I'm sorry for being such a jerk. You went through the trouble of posting pictures for me , and I didn't have the sense to come back and thank you. Thanks , better late than never. Chuck

No problem, and didn't think you were a jerk. They were already hosted on a site, so wasn't a problem re posting. So no need to appoligize.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:37 pm 

All thumbs up to both of you for your posts/responses

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:09 pm 

Just for what it's worth, the gent talking about argon and helium and such. Don't forget the tanks your talking about only come with about 2000 psi in them . Not good if your using 3or 4 thousand psi. I've always looked at them as a mith, not really what they are cracked up to be. I just got done reading about a lad that jumped into this all the way only to find out he "wasted his money", cause he didn't research enough. He purchased all the crap and found out something was wrong, he asked if maybe he had the wrong mix of gas or something. For what he had tied up you could almost have had a compressor. Seems like a lot of folks in this hobby are so turned on to performance that they go ahead and jump before noticing where they might land. The only reason I know about the gas is because I've bought a lot it over the years, I used to weld a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:43 pm 

I agree regarding understanding the options before jumping in, which is why I wished to explore options such as locally available high-pressure gasses. I'm a power engineer as well as qualified in several technical trades which include welding and high-pressure gasses. There is a significant downside to the purchase of a pump, which also should not be overlooked, despite that it seems to be: that of pump life, the potential for repair, etc.

One needs little experience with equipment to understand that it does tend to break down, that some equipment on the market is of poor quality, the cost or unavailability of parts or service can be a big problem. In other words, one should not discount the $1,000-2,000 pump which lasts only to the end of the warranty period, or which cannot be satisfactorily warrantied, can be a very uneconomic choice. The Canadian dollar, the fact that so much is made by "less than ideal" manufacturers, all multiply these issues, IME.

There is much useful and enlightening information coming to the fore and I appreciate the generosity of the members.

Webley Viscount .177
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:41 pm 

As long as it was mentioned about buying tanked air, I want to mention I read about a chap on another forum. He blew up a texan air rifle and landed in the hospital in real bad shape. Apparently the supplier mistakenly gave him the wrong tank. Instead of helium , it was oxegen. Another pitfall on your way to high performance. Just my opinion, if you need that kind of performance, why not use a powder burner. They are proven much safer as far as these kinds of mishaps go.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:29 pm 

I guess these are the new colours for tanks of gasses
My nitrogen tanks from Praaxair have always been solid black.
I can see where there might be problems with getting the wrong tank, now.

Attachments:
colours-s_tcm410-514434.gif
colours-s_tcm410-514434.gif [ 13.61 KiB | Viewed 252 times ]
color_codes.jpg
color_codes.jpg [ 29.83 KiB | Viewed 252 times ]