Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:03 am 

Just ordered this fine piece from Pyramyd Air, was wondering if someone had real-life experience with this revolver regarding range, accuracy, shot count and reliability. I just noticed the ''Bear River Holdings, LLC'' markings, seems they started to make it again :?: . I ordered the one in gun metal finish, but it's also available in polished nickel, and as a dual-ammo/nickel finish kit:

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Schofiel ... Metal/4159

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Schofiel ... Metal/4179

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Schofiel ... Metal/4689

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:53 pm 

You should be happy with your purchase airmec, esp. if you like old west revolvers.

I have one, got it more than 3 years ago, at Walmart when I was traveling in the USA. Regular price at the time was dirt cheap, $87 US (approx. $120 CDN).

I get around 65 good shots & 70+ max. shots using a combination of Umarex steel BB's & Crosman Wadcutter pellets (7.4 gr.) with one Umarex CO2. Very reliable airgun, have used it regularly for past 3 years, and never had a problem with it. Other than once a BB got jammed in the barrel & needed to push it out with a the wood dowel I use as a ramrod.

In regards to accuracy, using it on my 24' indoor range, I find the 7" Schofield to be the most accurate of the single action western revolvers. I found it more accurate than the pellet Umarex Colt Peacemaker (NRA version) with 7.5" rifled barrel & the 7" smooth bore Remington/Crosman 1875. I think it is because of the better open sights on the Schofield.

Also, I found that the break open design of the Schofield allows for much quicker reloads than the Colt Peacemaker & Remington 1875. Esp. if you use a speedloader. I have 12 spare BB shells & 12 spare pellet shells. Found the ASG, Dan Wesson GNB speedloader works well. I have 4 of them. I also got some Dan Wesson speedloader pouches to fit the speedloaders on my gun belt. Got both from Replica Airguns.

BTW, the model you purchased is from the original Bear River production. The new production models that Barra, the new owners, are making is this one:

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Barra_Sc ... Metal/5250

Spoke to a product tech at Barra. Only small cosmetic differences between the new & old production. Most of the white lettering has been removed, esp. by the right grip. The color has been changed slightly (see recent post). And it now comes in a nice box vs. the plastic clam shell packaging. The new box says 410 FPS, but I'm told that all the internal mechanics are the same, so the 410 may be the pellet fps. The new model seems more like the Schofield that was sold in Europe.

I think AGS in Ontario still has some of these Bear River Schofield's in stock.

Was told by the people at Barra that the 5" Schofield, in both aged & nickle will be out before the holidays.

There are a lot of reviews & videos for this gun on Youtube & the Pyramyd site.

I don't think you will be disappointed with your purchase.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:11 pm 

Good buy airmec, you purchased exactly the same as me (got it a month ago) with 12 spare shell and a set of ivory grip. As said by BB1shooter I agree to every thing he said, range/accuracy at 50'+ is still very good, shot count' is 60 after it drops quite fast, loading is more fun then the Colt, I love that gun, realy, even if I'm not a revolver guy.

Just that after maybe 350 shot's the shell ejector ''ejected'' itself with the shell, so back to PA under warranty, waiting for it to come back, can't wait for it to come back and not regretting it, even if it's broken

SilentMan... :drinkers:

SA 1911 TRS, Brodax 44, Schofield #3

6mm
M1911A1 twin barrel, M1911 Dragon 7'' Hi-Capa
M1911 twin Hi-Capa, DT4 Nemesis,Glock G17 Gen3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:46 pm 

Thank you very much guys!

Gerald, very nice mini-review! Did I hit a soft spot? LOL!

Thanks for the hint SilentMan, I'll keep an eye open on that, WHEN I get the gun :roll: . I just had an email from PyramydAir saying my order have been backordered, so I have no idea when I can expect it to arrive here...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:20 pm 

Oh shoot, that mean's that the replacement of mine will be delayed to.. :cry: :cry: :cry:

6mm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:45 pm 

silentman wrote:
Oh shoot, that mean's that the replacement of mine will be delayed to.. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Quite possible... Wish you good luck!

I made the step and ordered a nickel one from AGS :) . Let's see how it turns out!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:31 pm 

Maybe offer to pay the $6 extra and get the newer model. Looks like they are in stock.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:41 pm 

Dennis Adler is now doing a 3 part review of the new version of the Schofield.

He is part 1:

https://www.pyramydair.com/airgun-exper ... ld-part-1/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:24 pm 

BB1Shooter wrote:
Maybe offer to pay the $6 extra and get the newer model. Looks like they are in stock.

Hmm, I didn't see them? Do you have a link? :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:23 pm 

New version of the Schofield. Similar to the Bear River one, except less white lettering & more aged finish. See Dennis Adler's post on the Pyramyd website.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:16 pm 

BB1Shooter wrote:
New version of the Schofield. Similar to the Bear River one, except less white lettering & more aged finish. See Dennis Adler's post on the Pyramyd website.

@ BB1Shooter: I got my Schofield today, and it's actually a Barra, not a Bear River. Kudos to AGS :) . Haven't shot it yet, will see this week-end. Very nice finish with no markings on the right side, just discrete few markings underneath. It uses a similar system as the Ux Colt SAA to pierce the CO2 cartridge, an Allen key is embedded in the left side grip panel. Said grip panels are synthetic, but have an ''antique'' shade very similar to aged maple. Quality of work seem very good, and barrel lock-up is smooth and solid. So far, I love it :D

Attachments:
S1.JPG
S1.JPG [ 60.22 KiB | Viewed 314 times ]
S2.JPG
S2.JPG [ 63 KiB | Viewed 314 times ]
S3.JPG
S3.JPG [ 51.41 KiB | Viewed 314 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:18 pm 

A couple more pics:

Attachments:
S4.JPG
S4.JPG [ 65.19 KiB | Viewed 314 times ]
S5.JPG
S5.JPG [ 45.85 KiB | Viewed 314 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:31 pm 

NICE!!!!!

If I did not already have one, I would buy it. Looks much nicer than the prior model.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:08 am 

BB1Shooter wrote:
NICE!!!!!

If I did not already have one, I would buy it. Looks much nicer than the prior model.

X2 for me to :drinkers:

6mm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:29 pm 

Part 2 of the review for the new Schofield:

https://www.pyramydair.com/airgun-exper ... ld-part-2/