Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Why an airgun for me ??
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:54 am 

Hi everybody !

I am a black powder long range shooter.

I want to practice prone shooting, with open sights, during winter.

I am looking for airgun technics AND an airgun for that kind of practice.

Thank you

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:17 pm 

Welcome Etienne!

Looking for something to shoot in the basement?
- Then a sub 500fps would be good

How much are you planning to spend$ ?
- Break barrel/springer/Single Stroke pneumatic are usually cheaper, but there are more movements involved to reload
- PCP are easier/simpler... but more $$

Are you planing to use the same sights are you black powder?
Shooting from a rest or a sling?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:27 pm 

Welcome. I would say a Daisy 953, with a stock spacer. Since the OEM setup is for kids it seems. You can get 5 shot clips, that cuts down the movement, while shooting prone. Also you can upgrade to diopter sights. Or the 753/853 for 300-400$.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:39 pm 

Welcome Etienne Brule. I am also a BP shooter, but closer ranges with open sights and
including flinters. I have done some 300 meter shooting in the past, but that's it, except
for the BP ctg, guns (Sharps and Winchester). Shot those to 1000 meters.
For prone shooting, I would suggest a repeating PCP rifle, bolt or side lever. The springer
match rifles like the Feinwerkbau M300, are single shot rifles (mostly side lever, but a long stroke).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:10 am 

Springers and pumpers are a royal pain to cock and load when you're shooting prone. If you particularly like to shoot prone, I recommend a bolt action CO2 sub-500 fps rifle. They can be found with good aperture sights, or scoped, and a compressor or hand pump is not required like a pre-charged pneumatic (PCP).

Too soon old too late smart.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:52 am 

Welcome to the forum.

As a BP shooter I would think time between shooting cycles to load/cock is ok. Practicing how you play/compete is good. As sillymike has mentioned preferred powerplant and budget would help with recommendations.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:32 pm 

something like this, then?
https://www.airgundepot.com/beeman-ar2078a.html

responses:

"I purchased the .22 Model. With this gun at 10 Meters you get a single ragged hole with RWS Hobby Wadcutter pellets. The diopter sights are easy to get used to and work well.
Gun balances extremely well in your hands when standing. The airgun is generally not pellet picky and does very well with lead free pellets too. Accuracy at 10-20 Meters is awesome. Have shot it out to 30-40 yards also to hit cans without any trouble. I like that this airgun has a degassing tool so you can purge what is left of the CO2 without having to dry fire until pressure is low enough to remove the cap. I missed the during winter bit. So - indoors - CO2 likely a good suggestion - something like this, maybe?"

"The gun is more accurate with the RWS R10 Match Plus Premium Line 7.0 grain pistol pellets.

Pros
Update on my review back in 2017. I love this rifle, good trigger, now that I’m accustomed to the sights, I’m constantly shooting 36 to 38 out of 40. The sights are entry level, I realized I was left eye dominate so now I wear a blinder. I consistently get over 100 shots out of the CO2 bulbs, but I can hear the report of rifle that the CO2 is starting to drop around 82 shots, I have an indoor range so I can hear it, I go up in elevation, until the I don’t waste pellets.

Cons
Needs a adjustable cheek comb and stock. Better sights. But that would raise the price. "

"I'm very, very new to this, actually first air rifle, I don't count the BB gun I had as a kid. I'm very familiar with firearms, having shot IDPA, IPSIC, skeet, sporting clays and 3 gun events. Having alway wanted to get into biathlons and thought this rifle would be an excellent practice rifle. The trigger is excellent, for a $200 rifle I was impressed. The sights, which I am still getting use to, is in my opinion adequate and was no illusion would be anything but adequate. Accuracy, is in my opinion adequate, mainly because I am still getting familiar with everything about this rifle and trying to find out what pellets this rifle likes. I think it's an outstanding rifle for $200. Fit and finish seems adequate for a Chinese made rifle. I am throughly addicted to air rifles. Even with all the perceived "faults" I still think this is a 5 star rifle because of the "fun value".
Pros
Excellent trigger.
Cons
The sights, adequate for a $200 entry level rifle."

"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:47 pm 

great post, Daryl. 8)