Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: TX200 & Vortek PG3-SHO
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:31 pm 

I just installed the Vortek PG3-SHO kit into my TX200 today. It came with a new seal so I installed that too. I tried to clean out as much as the old grease and grunge as I could and used the grease that came with the kit to apply a light film to most contact surfaces.

Before: JSB 8.4 @ 937 fps
After: JSB 8.4 @ 877 fps

I've run about 20-30 shots thru it and most of the smoke has stopped. The cocking stroke seems worse than before. The kit is supposed to give about 950 fps with the CP 7.9g so that should be close to what I was getting originally.

Is the new seal causing 60 fps loss? If so, how many shots might it take to break itself in?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:15 pm 

How tight was the seal going into the compression tube? A tight seal can definitely affect velocity, but the velocity will start to rise as the seal breaks in.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:15 pm 

Mac wrote:
How tight was the seal going into the compression tube? A tight seal can definitely affect velocity, but the velocity will start to rise as the seal breaks in.

The piston pushed into the tube fairly easy. I just had to wiggle it a bit for alignment. The cocking effort seems really high to the point I start to feel it in my elbow. I was hoping the seal would wear in within a 100 shots

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:43 pm 

I have a hw97k which I just installed pg3 ho kit as well.the kit recommends you lightly sand and polish your compression tube as well as your piston use 600 then 800 and finaly 1200 grit. then polish your internals. you dont need to polish the spring imnpretty sure they come polished with the kit. Also remeber it takes around 500 to 1000 rounds to break in your spring your spring is factory new it takes time to break in you'll notice it. For seals if you got the black one which is the one I got it's called the vac seal it may increase your fps...none of the seals decrease fps. high % rubbing alchohol works best for degreasing. Also you can adjust your top hat on your kit to slightly increase or decrease your fps usualy changes around 15 fps.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:15 am 

Ravenairgun wrote:
...none of the seals decrease fps.

Are you saying the seals in the Vortek kits or seals in general? I have only used one Vortek kit many years back, so not familiar with the recent kits. A seal that is too tight can definitely reduce the fps.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:43 am 

ya I. talking about vortek seals. all i ment was none of the seals are made to decrease fps.