Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:30 pm 

OK - usually the chokes (I am familiar with) have marked on them whether they are for lead or steel or both.
I am surprised the IMP Cyl which is the most open choke other than "cylinder" gave you good results on ducks,
however ducks over decoys would work for that choke. Pass shooting, at longer ranges, usually needs modified
or full choke. Extra-full chokes are sually used for turkey.
What size shot are you using?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:50 pm 

I guess better late than never , haha
.004 improved cylinder ===skeet
.009 modified====improved cylinder
.014 full===light modified
.036 extra full===full

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:24 pm 

Are those chokes for steel shot?
I've always read that for lead:
IC is .005"
Mod is .025
Full is "40 points of choke", or .040"
Thus in a standard 12 bore with .730" bore, a full choke measures .690". These were the normal measurements until
mfgr's started back-boring barrels in the 80's or 90's, enlarging them to .735 (my current Mossberg) to.740" from .730"
and maybe larger yet. 11 bore is .750". 10 bore is .774". Those are nominal standard sizes.
Bore size is determined by the # of pure lead round balls of that size there are in a pound. Thus, a 12 bore is supposed to
mean 12 pure lead balls that fit the bore weigh 1 pound. 7,000 divided by 12 = 583.33gr. which is the weight of a .730" pure lead ball.
The .410 "bore" is a misnomer in that it is a calibre, ie: .410".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:26 am 

From what I read steel and lead, all I have shot so far is steel. So far its been cycling through what ever I throw at it, it also works wonderful as an oar when you have to chase the kayak paddle. I also ended buying a bever tail phantom sneak boat so my experience the versa max oar is true to heart. Silly things happen when birds are in the air, God help me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:09 am 

Navy wrote:
When I get the time I will give the full breakdown of the included chokes by name, between hunting and work time is in short supply. To anyone in the Hamilton area who wants to try my max drop me a pm.

And if you're interested in shooting airguns in the Hamilton area, there's lots of organized action in that part of the world. Check it out on this forum.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:06 pm 

Thanks for the offer, when things slow down with covid I might give it a go. As for now I have been luck enough to get permission to do some posting at a farm near by, and a friend has 30 acres a little further out.
Travis