Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:43 am 

Hello to all

I hope everyone is doing fine, all good here in Hamilton.
Early this year I considered getting back into bird hunting, after about 25 years. My question concerns the reliability of the versa max, and if it would be a safe buy? Because of a pinched nerve in my neck I am looking for a soft shooter.

Thanks in advance
Travis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:12 am 

You best bet is to ask on Canadian Gun Nutz. You would get faster and more responses. I know alot of people used that gun for 3 gun. I only dealt with Rem 1100, and 1187s 12ga semis.

My buddy swears by his Winchester SX3.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:40 pm 

If the gun weighs 8 pounds and is a semi-auto, it will have less recoil than a pump-gun, same gauge and weight.
I've never heard of Remington semi's as having troubles, whether Sportsman 48 (like mine) or 58's or the 1100's.
Beneli semi's have the softest recoil, apparently, with less muzzle rise and fastest 2nd and 3rd shots - but they
may or may not be prohibited firearms nowadays - any semi or pump, for that matter.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:26 am 

Thanks for the prompt response for sure, and the information provided. Many moons ago I shot and hunted weekly, i stuck to this forum just by my preference and level of trust from the members here. From what I read though the versa max has the softest recoil, and the issues pertaining to the model are easy fixes. I have put a lot of shells through my 870 and never found the recoil all that bad, my thought was to buy something easier on the neck.

Travis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:48 pm 

M870's are the fastest shooting of all shotguns. With training, they will outshoot just about any semi-auto
for speed. I mentioned the Beneli shotgun as it seems to have no muzzle rise on recoil & thus can beat the
M870 for speed of aimed fire.
M870's are what I trained my boys with.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:48 pm 

Navy wrote:
Thanks for the prompt response for sure, and the information provided. Many moons ago I shot and hunted weekly, i stuck to this forum just by my preference and level of trust from the members here. From what I read though the versa max has the softest recoil, and the issues pertaining to the model are easy fixes. I have put a lot of shells through my 870 and never found the recoil all that bad, my thought was to buy something easier on the neck.

Travis

Well I just said CGN because you will get more responses. Because they are fairly popular. As you can tell not much responses to your question here. Sometimes one forum cannot do all. And I've been with CGN since the start. You dont have to trust everything. But you'll get more opinions to make a decision on.

And I cannot agree that a pump is faster than a semi when it comes to 3 gun or speed shooting. I could empty my 1100 in under 1.5 seconds. That was 6 shots.

Personally I went with 20ga for softer shooting.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:14 pm 

Well then, your 1.5 seconds for 6 shots is better my 6 shots in 2 seconds with the M870 except mine are 12 bore with with issue 9 pellet standard 00 buck,
on 6 sils. at 20yards.
20 bore would indeed to softer shooting.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:33 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Well then, your 1.5 seconds for 6 shots is better my 6 shots in 2 seconds with the M870 except mine are 12 bore with with issue 9 pellet standard 00 buck,
on 6 sils. at 20yards.
20 bore would indeed to softer shooting.

My 1100 and 1187 were 12 gauges. I only started to run 20 guage this year. But no need to get into a pissing match. Had a pistol grip 870 overseas with rem sluggers 12g. That was hard on the wrist. It was mainly just to shoot engine blocks. Semi is proven to be faster in competition. Why the versamax was popular because at the time you legally could hold 8 2-3/4. Because it was a 3.5" and rules were 5 rd of the caliber it was designed for. Wasn't stamped 2-3/4".

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:02 pm 

Interesting - all our M870's had 20" bl. with 7-shot tube extensions,
+ one in the chamber.
It was no problem to run 8 rounds in barely over 2 seconds with them.
I understand many/most people think autos are faster, but a trained shooter
can shoot a M870 as fast or faster with accuracy. With less training, I acknowledge
an auto is faster, however, the auto must be brought back to bear, whereas
with the pump, that is automatically accomplished when slamming the slide
forewards.
Ammo used in 3-gun is also of less recoil than standard issue 2 3/4" buckshot.
We used Federal 00.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:28 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Interesting - all our M870's had 20" bl. with 7-shot tube extensions,
+ one in the chamber.
It was no problem to run 8 rounds in barely over 2 seconds with them.
I understand many/most people think autos are faster, but a trained shooter
can shoot a M870 as fast or faster with accuracy. With less training, I acknowledge
an auto is faster, however, the auto must be brought back to bear, whereas
with the pump, that is automatically accomplished when slamming the slide
forewards.
Ammo used in 3-gun is also of less recoil than standard issue 2 3/4" buckshot.
We used Federal 00.

Jerry Miculek can do 6 shots in 2 seconds, with a pump. At a stationary target with shot. You keep on bringing up that you used 00. So hats off to you that you can beat the fastest shooter in the world. If you got video proof of this 6 shot with 00, 20M 6 targets. I'd like to see it? But I'm done, I don't think anything I say, you won't try and chest puff.

Hopefully OP gets his answer to his question. But a semi auto is much nicer on the neck.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:40 am 

Jerry can do 6 in 1 1/2 seconds, just like you - "chest puffed" a few posts ago.
1 1/2 seconds I can't. So, there you go, you win.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:23 am 

Well I got the versa max after all, two trips later at the range with the boys all is good. Two hundred shots later I have to say its true the softest recoil of all the shotguns at the range of two days. Shoots a goid pattern and easy for me to shoulder, now a duck or two for the pot please.
Travis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:22 pm 

What chokes came with it?
Steel &/or lead chokes?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:23 am 

I decided to get the waterfowl edition, case chokes and nifty trigger lock.. Remington put four chokes in the case, i have only tried the improved cylinder so far. So far twelve in the freezer, and heading to long point next week for two days of fun. Take care .
Travis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:30 am 

When I get the time I will give the full breakdown of the included chokes by name, between hunting and work time is in short supply. To anyone in the Hamilton area who wants to try my max drop me a pm.