Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:20 pm 

Hi,

I'm Joe. Located near Toronto. I've been lurking a bit and this seems like a nice group with some real experience. I figured this would be the right place to seek some recommendations. I'm not new to firearms but I am fairly new to airguns. I'm looking for a decent airgun that will be effective for small game hunting.

I don't need too many bells and whistles, just something simple and reasonably priced that's effective with a lot of punch at modest ranges. I prefer hard sights and don't care for scopes.

I have a PAL so above 500 fps is fine.... I assume needed.

Please share your recommendations.... Did I mention I'm cheap? :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:39 am 

hi

welcome to CAF, you're right, great core knowledge on this site

not sure if mean hunting small game as in rabbit hunting or pesting like squirrels, i'll assume pesting, either will require you to check with your province laws to see if hunting with an airgun is allowed

cheap huh, you speak my language :lol: ok so that eliminates german springers and pcp's cause those will run you 500 $ and up and up and up

my recommendations would be; Hatsan 125, Gamo swarm multishot, or Xisico Xs28, all in 22 caliber and full power, yup PAL required as you mentioned you had

i had the same quest and ended up with the Xisico Xs28, zero recoil mount, and a Utg scope i already had, the rifle alone was 200 $ plus shipping and taxes....give you an idea of what to expect

other members might have recommendations that i did not consider

good luck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:31 am 

Welcome to the forum.

Decent and cheap. That could mean many different things to many different people. What is your budget? Are you looking for spring powered, co2, pcp? As robipaul has brought up what is your intended target? What is your accuracy expectation at what yardage?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:32 am 

Thanks!

Of course keeping it legal is first priority. I appreciate you pointing that out.

I may be wrong but I think PCP would be out of my range and I don't know if CO2 provides the sort of punch I need. My lack of experience here may mean I'm way off base.

I will have a look at the units you noted here. Indeed, if I could get something sub $200 that would be ideal.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:34 am 

OntarioJoe wrote:
Thanks!

Of course keeping it legal is first priority. I appreciate you pointing that out.

I may be wrong but I think PCP would be out of my range and I don't know if CO2 provides the sort of punch I need. My lack of experience here may mean I'm way off base.

I will have a look at the units you noted here. Indeed, if I could get something sub $200 that would be ideal.

Artemis LR700W, or older Benjamin 312/393.. Or Crosman 2200. All multipump. I'm not a huge fan of Co2 myself because the temperature fluxation effecting accuracy and power, and spring rifles. Because takes way too much practice.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:07 pm 

Hi Joe,
I agreeing with the multi-pump in a PAL rifle.
I would also suggest .22 calibre. With the multipump, about any scope
will work. There are several outlets having decent scopes, right in
your home Province. Air-gun specific scopes usually have mil dots or
1/2 mil dot reticles which can be wonderful when shooting longer ranges.
A .22 cal. multi-pump rifle delivering over 500fps, say 550fps with a 16
gr. pellet is producing 10.7fpe & should work well to 35 - 40yards, maybe further.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:59 pm 

This is great info. Thanks all.

Any recommendations for a good online source? I’ve found a few bumpy Googling. I wonder how much of a used market there is for these....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:06 pm 

https://www.canadashootingsupply.ca is near you.
WesB's https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/ in Sask is also a good place to shop.
Of all the multipump models, this one might fit the bill best & it is even magazine fed.

https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/artemis-mul ... pal-rated/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:08 pm 

https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/xisico-xs46 ... nderlever/
TCS has close to the same one, very seldom.

Also had good luck with 3 Ruger Airhawk(Diana 34) copy with full spring. $140. Will need to find used for that price, Walmart no longer carries.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:17 pm 

Try and find something moderate if buying a springer.
My first was D350, not the best choice, slowed with heaviest lead I could find and eventually tuning.
Still shoot the medium powered gun the most. Easy loading, less recoil, shoots every weight around 700fps.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:25 pm 

Wow! It's amazing how little stock there is out there. I guess the recent lack of social interaction has people looking for other things to do and they're taking up the sport.

I'm curious... I was previously unfamiliar with KRAL. There seems to be some experience here on the forum with the NP-03 but I don't see anything on the N-01

Does anyone have any opinions on these? Because the price is almost too good to be true for a new unit.

https://www.canadashootingsupply.ca/kra ... 2-cal.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:49 pm 

i think you're a bit SOL in these times, i noticed the same thing; out of stock on the most common airguns, i did the same thing you're doing and looked for the cheapest, after doing some research and what is currently available, i did note the Kral and also something call a Pardus on D&L airguns, i could not find any written reviews or vids on those rifles; accuracy, trigger pull, Ft-lb of energy, etc

i disagree with a pumper as a hunting rifle, imagine having a take a second shot if you miss, but that's just me :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:16 pm 

Second shot? What's that? :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:32 am 

The main problem here, is looking for a decently accurate rifle for $200.00.
The pumpers (especially the Artemis) will likely be the best bet for that price.