Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: my new hunter
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:09 pm 

greetings

received my new Hunter from Airgun and Archery fun today, its a Xisico XS28M in .22, and its a beast :shock:

i chronied her right out of the box with CHP pellets and got the following; 983, 1001, 948, 1001, 1162. i realize that those won't be the final numbers, that's before she's broken in and done dieseling

i took her apart and cleaned the barrel as well as the compression chamber, de-burred the chamber, polish the springs ends, polished the piston, i found a new Diana 34 seal in my parts bin and replaced the OEM one, under a magnifying glass the original had little chunks missing but not big enough that would have made that much of a difference IMO, i lubed her sparingly with Moly and put her back together, after that i decided to shoot her open sight at 25 yards and see if she at least groups, i shot Crossman HP's and JSB's jumbo rs, can't wait to scope her and see what she can do with a good glass

she feels a bit crunchy when you cock it, and requires quite a bit of effort, the trigger is what you would expect from an imitation T05, its not a T06 or a rekord but very very good, i'm happy with it

i thought my Diana 34 was a big gun(see pic, top rifle is my D34, XS at the bottom), this is even bigger !!!!

i intend to put in at least 100 shots before i scope her...50 shots to go :D

cheers

Attachments:
d34 xs28m.JPG
d34 xs28m.JPG [ 681.93 KiB | Viewed 1455 times ]
test shots.JPG
test shots.JPG [ 693.63 KiB | Viewed 1455 times ]

Post subject: Re: my new hunter
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:39 pm 

Not bad for springer with open sights at 25 yards. Groups likely to tighten up when the spring settles in. I'd stay with open sights but I'm a sucker for punishment.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:54 pm 

It's a nice looking rifle. Let us know how it settles down.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:08 pm 

As Duke says, but you might want to move to a heavier pellet, though. Your rifle appears to be running too hot, and while that may be a temporary state, you'll get a truer feeling for how it's settling in if you're shooting consistently around the 850-900 range during your break-in. Then you can look for that perfect pellet and weight.

JMO
$0.00

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:11 pm 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
As Duke says, but you might want to move to a heavier pellet, though. Your rifle appears to be running too hot, and while that may be a temporary state, you'll get a truer feeling for how it's settling in if you're shooting consistently around the 850-900 range during your break-in. Then you can look for that perfect pellet and weight.

JMO
$0.00

Advice definitely worth more than $0.00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:06 pm 

update;
from shot 95 to 105

chronied her today with two kinds of pellets

CHP; 902, 937, 939, 928, 929

Jsb exact jumbo heavy 1.175g; 795, 798, 793, 794, 793

pretty consistent with the JSB's, but if you compare with the first string out of the box, even the CHP's have come down and now more consistent

i would say that the spring is settling down nicely, another factor to consider is the swap of the seal i did, and also neglected to mention that i did hone the inside of the compression chamber in my tune

i have more types of pellets coming, but i think she's ready to attempt putting a glass on it, maybe i'll do that tomorrow :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:43 pm 

well final

500 shots later; had 3 spare scope and none held up to the recoil, though i think they were in my parts bin for a reason, ordered a Tasco 3x9 x40 rated for airguns, not the clearest reticle but good enough for what i want to do, and this one is holding zero

initially installed a zero recoil mount, that didn't hold up so i installed a UTG compensator mount

removed 2 coil off the main spring to reduce the recoil, chronied her with her favorite RS pellets and got 758, 761, 759, 754, 761, i have a diana 350 spring coming if this doesn't pan out, i would like to see 800 and still shoot straight...if possible, live up to the magnum name :lol:

had to tighten and re-tighten everything with blue lock thread, just when i thought she would be ok, the screwed on dove tail fell off, had to lock tight that too !!!

tried all the pellets in the pic, only the RS produces reasonable groups, but since i fought so much with loosening stuff, i'll retry a few groups with the other pellets just in case, and i have one or two more brands coming, i posted these shots as i can do them consistently

my finale take; this is not a rifle for newbies, you can make it shoot straight if you're willing and able to finish the rifle, or tune it

Attachments:
pellets.jpg
pellets.jpg [ 624.17 KiB | Viewed 1210 times ]
shots.jpg
shots.jpg [ 286.61 KiB | Viewed 1210 times ]
IMG_2770.JPG
IMG_2770.JPG [ 628.84 KiB | Viewed 1210 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:58 pm 

Before PCPs there weren't alternatives to the kicking mule action of magnum springers for high power airgun hunting. But it takes a lot of effort and control (and expense in scopes) to use them, and then placing your shot can be a frustrating problem. IMO, PCP is the way to go for high power hunting airguns. Maybe magnum springers will die out like the ether fueled ones.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:19 am 

Dukemeister wrote:
Before PCPs there weren't alternatives to the kicking mule action of magnum springers for high power airgun hunting. But it takes a lot of effort and control (and expense in scopes) to use them, and then placing your shot can be a frustrating problem. IMO, PCP is the way to go for high power hunting airguns. Maybe magnum springers will die out like the ether fueled ones.

This statement doesn't need anymore however I do love my springers. heck I love my ssp's and co2 variants as well. Sorry I don't have any multi pumps.

Nice to see the groups tighten up.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:54 am 

I like my springers for the simplicity of cracking the barrel...loading it up and shooting...with them you have an unlimited and free power supply....no Co2..no tanks to fill etc.....However when you want a bump up in power pcps ARE the next step....Better to buy a 25fpe pcp than a 25fpe springer....My Gas Ram Phantom .22 is only 15.5 fpe...710fps/13.8gr...This lower speed and a smoother shot cycle is great for accuracy and you just wont get that with a super powerful coiled spring. I USED to want a 25fpe springer until I shot the neighbors Ruger Air Magnum....its just TOO much spring...I'll stick with 16fpe :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:47 am 

My Crossman - I hear you loud and clear. The simplicity of the springers is a very strong incentive to liking them.
I absolutely love the HW97's that I have & the .22 K was shooting just over an inch at 46 yards, the first time out with it.
I suspect it is running in the 14fpe range, same as my KT .177.
I need some new 9volt batteries for my chrony.
I've now got some .22 Hades to try in the HW97K as I gave my 500 (400 left) tin of Hades to the friend who bought my HW98 in .22. It really liked
those pellets better then all the rest.
Hades also worked well in both the AirForce Condor and the Artemis M11 .25's.
Robipaul - good shooting for a hard kicking springer. I had a Bam 28C in .22 for a while but could not get it shooting as well as I wanted.
It also seized up a 3-9X Bugbuster scope I had on it, maybe 20 shots. I didn't chronograph that one, but it was whacking the steel plate in my
pellet trap really hard, bending it and eventually started shooting through it. It was about .080" thick, over 1/16".

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:57 pm 

thanks guys

Duke, i don't think magnum springers are going to disappear anytime soon, too much money to be made and as long as demand is there :ANAL: i agree PCP's are the ultimate in all categories, however they are still cost prohibitive despite a few going in the lower range of the cost spectrum

in the meantime, enjoy this pic of me dispatching this evil paper squirrel, standing off hand at 25 yards, 10 shots, 2 misses, one in the eye for good measure............yeah like i was really aiming for the eye :rolleyes:

Attachments:
sq.jpg
sq.jpg [ 375.35 KiB | Viewed 1111 times ]