Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Diana 470TH review
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:00 pm 

Some hundreds of pellets through my new Diana 470TH and thought that I would offer some observations:

1) I'm not convinced that I have fired enough pellets to accomplish break-in so accuracy may improve. It's "OK" but any of my 22 rimfires will group better, even Ruger 10-22. That's a bit of a disappointment but will continue to play and to experiment with technique. My air guns are only toys (don't hunt at all) so the problem solving and learning are engaging.

2) Velocity seems to vary only about 10 fps with several pellet weights so it seems that the piston seal has settled in but will check again when next at the outdoor range as my Chrony doesn't like my indoor lighting.

3) I'm extremely disappointed by the trigger and am not encouraged to buy another Diana product, given the lack of sear engagement (second stage) creep. It's not much different from that of a stock military Mauser 98 trigger IMO and almost insulting for the kind of money invested. <Yeah, I'm a bit bitter about the trigger>

I've long experience with internal combustion gun triggers, from competitive centerfire bench rest, metallic silhouette, long-range varminting, etc. so triggers are not a new experience.

4) Loading pellets into the breach (same as other Dianas with which I am familiar is a thorough PITA. I can live with the awkward access but the lack of provision for dropped pellets is extremely annoying as they tend to land in the channel of the cocking mechanism from where they don't readily come out by inverting the rifle. It shouldn't be rocket science to deal with that problem.

Leaving a pellet in the mechanism goes against the grain, so to speak because one cannot predict its next destination. The pleasure in switching to my Webley Viscount with its petcock loading which allows pellets to be dropped in with little attention is significant.

5) The trigger guard adjustment hole is sharp, as well as positioned such that the pressure of my second finger will cut my knuckle, especially while shooting offhand, although inserting a "wooden screw hole plug" solves the problem. Another poor execution/finish issue with that was a fairly expensive purchase. I could counterbore the hole and re-black the guard but why should that be necessary?

6) Accuracy allows 100% hits on chicken (40 metres) and pig (60 metres) which is part credit to the 470TH and part to the Hawke VANTAGE SF 3-12x44 scope.

7) The under-cocking lever works like a Swiss watch and stock shape is very good for my use. The grip is a bit fat creating a longer reach for trigger finger than is ideal, despite that my hands aren't small.

Would I buy another 470TH or Diana in a similar configuration? Doubtful as a friend's side lever has the same loading port issues. I will be looking diligently for other options than Diana once I purchase a Stormrider2 (22) as the smaller size should work for grandkids.

Weihrauch and Feinwebach were the other main brands on my list and will be looking to those for the next springer.

The intention wasn't a "sour grapes" exercise, just thought the impressions might be of interest or useful to someone.

Webley Viscount .177
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite
FX Dynamic 500 .22

Post subject: Re: Diana 470TH review
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:21 pm 

Being that you brought up 22LR. Powder burners shoot way different than a spring airgun. Spring airguns require a special hold. They also require more practice over any other power plant. So probably why you are being discouraged. Is this your first spring gun?

I can shoot a 22 Cooey nickel size group at 25, 3" with peeps at 100. But I cannot shoot no less than 1.5" at 20m with my spring air gun. Just the nature of the dual recoil, and the piston slamming forward that you are not used to in powder burners.

Also seems like alot of stock piston airguns the triggers are 5-6#, What a K98 Mauser trigger is like.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:20 pm 

NormK - my new HW97 in .22 put 9 out of 10 shots into .840" at 45 yards, first day at the range. It is shooting better now
that is has a hundred or so pellets through it. The HW98KT .177 shoots even better, but it is 5 or more years old now & has
shot a few thousand pellets.
I have not adjusted the .22's trigger yet as it seems just fine so far & is not difficult to shoot. As with the HW97 in .177KT,
it is not picky about stock placement on the bags. I drop the odd pellet when loading, but the port on the HW is open on both
sides, so more room than provided by the Air Arms or the Diana. Tipping the rifle upside-down and the dropped pellet falls out.
.22 on the bottom.

Attachments:
HW 97s resized2.jpg
HW 97s resized2.jpg [ 428.44 KiB | Viewed 2495 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:18 pm 

leadslinger- I've had springers for over 60 years but that doesn't mean that I am more competent than someone new to the sport. I have friends who have HW's and Weinrauch which shoot better than this Diana. My old Webley Viscount gives a good account of itself in comparison. The Viscount only suffers badly in comparison out at 60 meters, I assume because of the significant difference in velocity which may hide some hits on the silhouette.

I have a Stormrider2 22 on the way and ordered a UTG SCP-M392AOLW BugBuster 3-9x 32mm so when both are joined, will see how that pans out.

I'm open to being the deficiency in the equation and am looking for an adapter for cell phone to scope to see if the video will point the finger somewhere.

Having shot competitively in many classes over decades, and done much long-range, including varminting, I do appreciate how variable and important technique generally is.

That said, even a newbie who holds consistently and aligns crosshairs at sear release should achieve better results for the money invested.

Webley Viscount .177
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:05 am 

Normk wrote:
leadslinger- I've had springers for over 60 years but that doesn't mean that I am more competent than someone new to the sport. I have friends who have HW's and Weinrauch which shoot better than this Diana. My old Webley Viscount gives a good account of itself in comparison. The Viscount only suffers badly in comparison out at 60 meters, I assume because of the significant difference in velocity which may hide some hits on the silhouette.

I have a Stormrider2 22 on the way and ordered a UTG SCP-M392AOLW BugBuster 3-9x 32mm so when both are joined, will see how that pans out.

I'm open to being the deficiency in the equation and am looking for an adapter for cell phone to scope to see if the video will point the finger somewhere.

Having shot competitively in many classes over decades, and done much long-range, including varminting, I do appreciate how variable and important technique generally is.

That said, even a newbie who holds consistently and aligns crosshairs at sear release should achieve better results for the money invested.

Sorry. But airgunning and PB are just totally different league. When ppl compare, they are normally new to it. So I assumed based on what you said, that you were new to these.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:08 pm 

Yikes... this is a little disheartening. I was considering this exact model for a really flat shooting 17 cal. It's been two weeks since the review. Has it gotten better/broken in Normk? I wonder if your rifle may benefit from a vortek pg3 kit? Or some fitted guides and a piston liner... that being said, for what this gun costs, it should shoot well ootb. It's roughly the price of a 97kt for crying out loud. It's a bit tough to stomach having to get a tune kit just to get this shooting decent.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:17 am 

Spring guns have many variables that affect their performance. Most are capable of cloverleafs to 20yds with the correct pellet, hold and follow through.

Different weights of pellets and the difference in fit due to head diameter and skirt expansion is very important to the shot cycle. The more resistance from the pellet, the higher the pressure at which the pellet begins to move down the barrel. While the pellet is moving down the barrel it is increasing the volume available for pressurized air coming from the piston/comp tube...

There are different aspects of this to suit different power levels, you don't want to ltitle resistance in a high power gun as it can lead to the piston "slamming" in the end of the comp tube

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:56 pm 

Norm had a thread a few weeks back asking about heavy pellet velocities in the 470, so I assume he's been using or has tried heavy pellets in this magnum springer. But definitely Jgoodz may be on the right track here. The pellet does act live a valve and resistance/release pressure/cushioning effect does matter. There's this guy that used 13 and 16 grain 177s on his 470 with great groups at 30 meters:

https://youtu.be/bz-IfoH6jPU

Maybe you need to go even heavier Norm? Anyway, I wish you success with this rifle. Hope you tell us what works for you in the end.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:59 pm 

Thanks for the review. That model popped on my radar as I am researching a new rifle. It may have nosedived.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:02 pm 

I had one as well. Got it from D&L.

My issue is that accuracy suffered due to velocity issues. Culprit breech seal.

John from D&L sent me a replacement seal and I also got a couple from Vortek and changed them out. No improvement.

John took the gun in for repair and sent it back, no improvement. Got a refund.

I really liked the feel, look, and handling of the gun. It had a good trigger and when the gun would perform, it was accurate. Which wasn't often.

The flat finish was very prone to scuffing.

Apparently, according to other forums, the design of the seal was an issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:25 am 

I have tried a host of pellets from Crosman to several H&N, and others, heavy to light. The trigger is poor, IMO and since I'm not new to the trigger game, I expect far more.

Extensive chronograph measurements don't indicate that a faulty breech seal is likely, IMO. H&N FTT Power Copper 8.8 gr 832 fps, 838, 832. Another string 854, 872, 897, 868. Another 877, 862, 885, 874, 878.

FTT lead 897, 898, 899, 892. Best 25-yard groups are around 1-1/4", and 10 yard 1/2". Any of my 22 LR rifles will beat that easily.

Push the range out and I may as well throw pellets with a grain shovel.

At 10 metres my QB78 will easily shoot tighter groups and is much more pleasant to shoot.

I will be putting the 470TH up for sale.

Perhaps I should have taken recommendations for FWB or Weinrauch.

Webley Viscount .177
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Dynamic 500 .22