Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Qb chief creep issue
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:25 am 

Hi all, just bought a used qb chief through a member here, found one issue is if let the gun sitting for few hours or longer, the first 2-3 shots feels low power, then it will back to normal. I can tell from dry fire, the sound is much quieter for the first few shots.
Any idea what could be wrong or this is normal?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Qb chief creep issue
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:07 am 

probably you'll need a regulator if you don't like this low 2 shot initial, what's happening I think is sitting for a while is causing the pressure in the plenum chamber and the tank pressure to have a equal pressure, that is adding pressure to your valve pin besides the spring pressure, this is causing that low exhaust in your first 2 shot, because of the equal pressure from your tank and plenum chamber.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:15 am 

pistolero wrote:
probably you'll need a regulator, what's happening is sitting for a while is causing the pressure in the plenum chamber and the tank pressure to have a equal pressure, that is adding pressure to your valve pin besides the spring pressure, this is causing that low exhaust in your first 2 shot, because of the equal pressure from your tank and plenum chamber.
Thanks for the advice. So does it mean it's normal for a non regulated pcp, such as stormrider, maximus etc.?
As I was thinking take it for grouse hunting this year, and so I either install a regulator, or dry fire 2 shots before aim a grouse when I see one:) , if it's still there:))

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:44 am 

yes its normal for a non regulated, it happens to my cr600w if I pressurized the tank to about 2500psi, need to relieve that plenum pressure, if I pressurized it to 2000 psi, it was behaving normal and not need to waste some air to reach that pressure. its basically up to you on how you like to use the gun, either you find that ideal pressure in the tank or add a regulator.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:25 pm 

pistolero wrote:
yes its normal for a non regulated, it happens to my cr600w if I pressurized the tank to about 2500psi, need to relieve that plenum pressure, if I pressurized it to 2000 psi, it was behaving normal and not need to waste some air to reach that pressure. its basically up to you on how you like to use the gun, either you find that ideal pressure in the tank or add a regulator.
Appreciate your help. [emoji111]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:10 pm 

pistolero wrote:
By the way, is there any recommendation for the regulator? I see one on the Ebay around $120.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:27 pm 

try Wes of airgunarchery.com, its cheaper than ebay, send him a pm, I think the Altaros regulator will fit your QB Chief, double check with him for the diameter and counter check yours internal diameter of your airtube, because I know that this will fit a discovery as they have the same inner diameter for the discovery and the cr600w.
https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/altaros-reg ... 00w-pp800/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:59 pm 

pistolero wrote:
try Wes of airgunarchery.com, its cheaper than ebay, send him a pm, I think the Altaros regulator will fit your QB Chief, double check with him for the diameter and counter check yours internal diameter of your airtube, because I know that this will fit a discovery as they have the same inner diameter for the discovery and the cr600w.
https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/altaros-reg ... 00w-pp800/
Thanks. Will do.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:28 pm 

I do have a Lane Regulator for the Chief. It's a lot bigger diameter than a Discovery or Stormrider. But I think you'd just be better off filling it not quite so full, a few 100 psi less and you'll be in the sweet spot. However just a warning that quieter doesn't always mean less velocity. The fact is your gun is more efficient at the top end of the pressure and the Valve is closing before the pellet gets to the end of the barrel making the gun a lot quieter. This can be deceiving because it can actually be going faster when it's quieter than when it's louder. Of course if the pellets are dropping more then you're right, it's overpowering the hammer spring too much and you're losing power. A chronograph is always a very handy tool to see what is really going on.

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:15 am 

While a regulator is one solution (and a complete retune to go with it).... you have two other choices.... You can fill to a lower pressure so that you don't experience the low velocity on the first few shots (since they are unusable anyways).... or you can increase the hammer spring preload until you move the bell-curve up.... You want a velocity on the first shot about 4% below the peak, and then when the velocity drops 4% below the peak at the end of the string, stop shooting and refill....

Bob