Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:30 pm 

trying to install a full power spring. I got the spring installed but cant get the gun to cock literaly looks like the sear wont catch by 2 3 mm if that. I'm thinking somthing to do with the top hat and spring guide. any ideas? should I trim down the spring guide?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:36 am 

You’re mostlikely at coilbind . I cut a coil at at time until it cocks . Or you can shorten the spring guide a bit at a time .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:01 am 

ok what's the recommended tool for cutting spring coils? and what can I use to shorten the spring guide?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:44 am 

If this happens, which is a simple math question... The total length of the fully compressed spring plus top hat plus guide is larger than the max travel distance to make the trigger unit can hook up the piston.

If in the cocking, the spring is not fully compressed but the top hat touches the guide make it no more compressable, cut the guide. Otherwise, the spring will be the only thing you should cut...

HW 40+Extender / Scoped P3 / 45 / 75
Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine
Camo Chaser long barrel carbine
PP700SA long barrel carbine

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:46 am 

I have a question on this matter. if the spring guide touches the top hat and gun will not cock. Then cutting spring would do no good. only the guide needs to be cut down. Right ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:26 pm 

the spring is what ended up needing to be cut. I cut the spring guide and still no luck. I guess the spring was fully compressed. I dont have a dremel any other way I can cut the spring?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:32 pm 

Ravenairgun wrote:
the spring is what ended up needing to be cut. I cut the spring guide and still no luck. I guess the spring was fully compressed. I dont have a dremel any other way I can cut the spring?

A good hacksaw will do it. Then file the cut nice and flat. If you have a torch, heat the last coil at 1 rev from the end and close the end of the spring. I do it with the last 2 coils clamped tight in a vice grip. Quench in water when done, and then file or grind the end flat and 90 degrees to the spring. Of course, then polish and moly for that smooth shot cycle. :drinkers:

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:20 pm 

sierous with the hacksaw? dont have a blow torch any other ways?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:58 pm 

Ravenairgun wrote:
sierous with the hacksaw? dont have a blow torch any other ways?

PA has cheap rotary kit:
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8865065e
And blowtorch:
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8845505e

Might as well get kitted out, I use my "dremel" regularly (I have 3 of them) and blowtorch just as often - although I only have 2. :drinkers:
It may be a challenge to hack the spring, I concede. But if you had a torch and could soften it where you were going to do the cut, that would help. BTW to keep the coils from overheating I soak a cloth in water and wrap the spring where I don't want it to overheat, just focus the flame on the spot you want to soften. HIH.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:03 pm 

Q propane torch is all that is needed. (with a mapp gas head if possible)
A sharp hacksaw will work, as Duke noted. A sharp hacksaw will likely cut the spring without annealing, but it is hard on the blade.

The torch head Duke posted at PA, will work nicely. It has the holes to allow oxygen to mix with the gas, making it hotter than the old style
propane torches that had solid tubes to the head. The increase in temp is roughly 500 to 1,000F depending on the head and gas used.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:47 pm 

thanks not bad 40$ do you think I could heat it with a soldering iron and make it weak enough to cut?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:22 pm 

Ravenairgun wrote:
thanks not bad 40$ do you think I could heat it with a soldering iron and make it weak enough to cut?

Nope.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:25 pm 

Ravenairgun wrote:

Nope, soldering irons will make about 400C at most, and that's the fancy ones. You need to get that sucker cherry red say 600-700C or better.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:20 pm 

Following the tread and found it's that difficult to cut a coil from a springer main spring?!..... I was thinking use a kitchen scissors or a pilers at most a heavy duty cutting pilers etc can have it done nicely.... :eek:

HW 40+Extender / Scoped P3 / 45 / 75
Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine
Camo Chaser long barrel carbine
PP700SA long barrel carbine

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:25 pm 

Get a Drexel tool you'll find it is a wonderful tool to have! Lots of sanding & cutting discs to be had . KEN.