Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:01 pm 

Good Afternoon Fellow Canucks;

Without much thought and with my oldest having turned 7 recently, we purchased a little Daisy BB gun for the kid to start his into to firearms with. Have used it as a friends cottage and a bit in the backyard.

Recently, I got a Gamo Swarm 10x thinking this would be far better and more accurate of a rifle to move to the next level with.

The thing is, this thing is loud as litter! After hearing it for the first time I did a bit of research and found out that one cannot legally discharge a pellet gun (even if its less than 500 fps, which is why I bought this thing) in the city of Markham - what the *bad word*!?

Since when!?

Luckily I live on a ravine and only 1 neighbour - but still, I am not sure how comfortable I am now shooting this thing out back - so I turn to you all....

Where do you folks shoot? Is this Gamo just a loud bastard and I need to get something quieter?

Am I missing something?

Many thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:38 pm 

The Gamo Swarm is a high powered (therefore firearm) air rifle. If that is what you want,
you will have to put up with the noise.
Many folks, who want a good, accurate low powered air rifle for plinking, would start with something like a 495fps HW30 or HW35
or a 495fps Diana 34.
As for needing a rifle for hunting, the Gamo high powered will likely fill the bill. You may have to try different pellets to find ones it likes.
We usually advise to use heavy for calibre pellets in the high powered cheaper air rifles. I0ndeed, even my HW's also like the heavier pellets
10.5gr. to 13.4gr. in .177 and 18 to 21gr. in .22 cal.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:46 pm 

TicTac wrote:
..Without much thought and with my oldest having turned 7 recently, we purchased a little Daisy BB gun for the kid ... I got a Gamo Swarm 10x thinking this would be far better and more accurate of a rifle to move to the next level with. Am I missing something?

ya, he's only 7.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:18 pm 

Leon Yrag wrote:
TicTac wrote:
..Without much thought and with my oldest having turned 7 recently, we purchased a little Daisy BB gun for the kid ... I got a Gamo Swarm 10x thinking this would be far better and more accurate of a rifle to move to the next level with. Am I missing something?

ya, he's only 7.

As mentioned, I did not realize that this thing (which is only rated at 495 fps) had such a kick. I have fired many air pistols which are at that velocity which were not only quieter but also far less aggressive.

Clearly not the best choice for a 7 year old. We live and we learn!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:19 pm 

Daryl wrote:
The Gamo Swarm is a high powered (therefore firearm) air rifle. If that is what you want,
Many folks, who want a good, accurate low powered air rifle for plinking, would start with something like a 495fps HW30 or HW35
or a 495fps Diana 34.
As for needing a rifle for hunting, the Gamo high powered will likely fill the bill. You may have to try different pellets to find ones it likes.
We usually advise to use heavy for calibre pellets in the high powered cheaper air rifles. I0ndeed, even my HW's also like the heavier pellets

Hey Daryl;

This one is a 495FPS model, therefor something that does not require a PAL and what I would have assumed would be far more subdued. Clearly not the case.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Curious to hear where you guys shoot as well - shocked to learn that one cannot shoot a BB gun outside if being safe in ones backyard....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:29 pm 

I shoot up a mountain road not far from my house about 5 miles ..And the gun my kids like when they were young under 10 was a Diana 24 C the gun they all ways wanted to shoot ..........

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:41 pm 

Many Canadian kids whet their appetite on the Daisy 853 or less expensive 953. It's the rifle our Cadets use for marksmanship and firearm training, although I believe they only start Cadets at 11 or 12 yrs old.
But pumping may be a bit of a challenge for a 7 yr old, you may have to do it.

Duke ))))----//----------==

HW97K .22
Cometa Fusion Premiere Star .22 /.177 (For sale on CAF)
Hatsan AT44-10W .22
Hatsan AT44-10MW .22

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:12 am 

Or as mentioned in other tread not long ago... Find a co2 powered one, so not need to worry about the cocking and pumping which would be a big issue discouraging the kids to shoot....

HW45 with customized grips from UK
Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine
Camo Chaser long barrel carbine
PP700SA long barrel carbine

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:51 am 

TicTac wrote:

Curious to hear where you guys shoot as well - shocked to learn that one cannot shoot a BB gun outside if being safe in ones backyard....

Tie to start petionning your city councillors :axe:

As for your 7 years old boy... Daisy make a nice "competition" Red Rider, the 499B Champion... for 5M competition, +/-240 fps
https://www.daisy.com/product/daisy-mod ... ion-rifle/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:00 pm 

TicTac wrote:
Daryl wrote:
or a 495fps Diana 34.

Hey Daryl;

This one is a 495FPS model, therefor something that does not require a PAL and what I would have assumed would be far more subdued. Clearly not the case.

We also have a no shooting Bylaw within city limits I expect. I have no low powered air guns, except for the .22 cal. Artemis handguns. Those I shoot at the range, usually indoors in the winter
time. The rifles I take hunting or shooting anywhere I want, out of town. With air rifles, the bush (Crown Land) is your range (B.C.). I can be shooting legally, 6 minute drive from home.
In Southern Ontario, land is all privately owned, so you need to have some farmer or other land owner friends, out of town. That makes it difficult.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:09 pm 

Daryl is right, doesn't hurt to politely ask a farmer to use a area of his choice to teach the little-one firearm safety and enjoyment
They are usually willing to let a father and son shoot in an area on their land, least in Niagara, my parents own a good piece 20 mins from St Catharines and they have been letting a father and now 3rd generation son target shoot and hunt on it because they have been respectful and "always" call well in advance before coming

The odd offering goes over well too lol

Steve

Walther Falcon .25
Benji XL 1100