Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Beginner's question
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:51 pm 

I just joined today because I know NOTHING about guns but am hoping to purchase a SIG SAUER MCX AIR RIFLE .177 CALIBRE

I am sure you all know the rules about this type of gun. Do I need any kind of papers or license to own such a gun? If so, where do I go to get the necessary paperwork? I live in Alberta.

I apologize for intruding on your forum but I have read everything on the internet that I can but cannot figure it all out. Is this gun considered a "firearm" under Canada's code? It is a pellet gun with up o 700 fp velocity.

This gun is for my husband, not for me! :?:

Thank you.
Shir

Post subject: Re: Beginner's question
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:57 pm 

If the rifle push the pellet to 700 feet/sec
- You will need a firearm's license

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:59 pm 

shir wrote:
I just joined today because I know NOTHING about guns but am hoping to purchase a SIG SAUER MCX AIR RIFLE .177 CALIBRE

I am sure you all know the rules about this type of gun. Do I need any kind of papers or license to own such a gun? If so, where do I go to get the necessary paperwork? I live in Alberta.

I apologize for intruding on your forum but I have read everything on the internet that I can but cannot figure it all out. Is this gun considered a "firearm" under Canada's code? It is a pellet gun with up o 700 fp velocity.

This gun is for my husband, not for me! :?:

Thank you.
Shir

Hi Shir

Yes any airgun over 500 FPS and 4.2 foot lbs of energy, requires a non restricted firearm license in Canada.

You would need to take the Canadian firearm course, or PAL course (possession and acquisition) Its anywheres from 100-250 for the course, plus 50-80$ to file the paperwork. You can google "where to take the PAL/firearm course in AB" But I don't think anyone due to covid, is teaching them, plus you may not see your license once completed for several months.

But if it for your husband. HE would need to take the course or you would have to supervise him.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:04 pm 

1st of all, welcome to the forum Shir. Your husband is also welcome.
So - sub 500fps & 4.2fpe., semi-auto pellet firing air rifle on CO2. Thus
not a firearm, no license (P.A.L) needed, but you must be 18 or older to
purchase(usually a store thing), so - NP I must assume you are OK at this
point in time.

This is the result from Googling this rifle's specs.
https://www.replicaairguns.ca/sig-sauer ... llet-rifle
"Type: Pellet Rifle
Manufacturer: Sig Sauer ASP
Model: Sig Sauer MCX ASP
Materials: Metal and Nylon Fiber build.
Weight: 7.75 Pounds (3.5 kg).
Barrel: 17.7 inch steel rifled.
Propulsion: 88 or 90 Gram CO2.
Action: Semi auto with internal blowback. Single stage trigger single action trigger.
Ammunition Type: .177 caliber pellets.
Ammunition Capacity: 30 rounds belt fed.
FPS: Claimed up to 495 fps with 4.2 foot pounds of energy (5.7 Joules).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:23 pm 

One additional question: Is it okay to travel with this gun in checked baggage to go into USA? Do you know if there are additional requirements?

I have read the airline info and it seems that if it is NOT designated as a firearm, as long as it is in checked baggage and in a case, it should be fine.

Has anyone travelled to another country with one of these?

thanks again
shirl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:13 pm 

shir wrote:
One additional question: Is it okay to travel with this gun in checked baggage to go into USA? Do you know if there are additional requirements?

I have read the airline info and it seems that if it is NOT designated as a firearm, as long as it is in checked baggage and in a case, it should be fine.

Has anyone travelled to another country with one of these?

thanks again
shirl

Well in Canada they are deemed firearms, and for airline travel, you would need to research the requirements for firearms travel. You might want to contact the boarder service agency's and ask. What may be legal to go from Canada to US, may not be legal to US to Canada. Plus that gun is Co2 and may not be able to have the tanks on the plane.

Your best bet if you travel to the states, just buy one down there and leave it there. And focus in Canada airguns under 500 FPS.. Then you do not need a license to own it. And If AB is like Ontario. The cost of the course is $$$. What I paid 100$ for 2 courses, places in Ontario, pay over 300.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:20 am 

Welcome to the forum. Our local (Thunder Bay) LGS (local gun store) is still offering courses for Possession and Acquisition Licence, (PAL), Restricted Possession and Acquisition Licence (RPAL) and hunting licences, but with a limit of six students in a classroom that normally holds 25. Obviously, classes fill up fast! I'm guessing that any gun shop/shooting range with a classroom for training is still offering courses with limited enrolment. If you or your spouse is considering taking the course, I recommend taking the RPAL course. The RPAL gives you the flexibility to purchase and own restricted firearms if you so desire, in addition to nonrestricted firearms.
Here's hoping your spouse (and you!) enjoy our sport as much as we do.

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:28 am 

Boys, I see that rifle "takes" the 88 gram bottles. Just how accessible & expensive are those?
I haven't seen them at Pr.Auto, or at Cdn. Tire.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:54 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Boys, I see that rifle "takes" the 88 gram bottles. Just how accessible & expensive are those?
I haven't seen them at Pr.Auto, or at Cdn. Tire.

11$ a piece.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:54 pm 

That sounds like expensive shooting.
How many shots on average?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:15 pm 

I'm getting around 360 shots (12 - 30 shot belts) on one 88/90 gm. CO2. Or around 60 shots (2 belts) If I use the specially made 12 gm CO2 adaptor. Using 7.4 grain Crosman Wadcutters & 7 grain RWS flathead pellets.

If you get a 12 gm CO2 adapter, just make sure it is the one specially made for the Sig MPX/MCX. It has a longer threaded neck than other 12 - 88 gm. CO2 adapters.

I would recommend, to avoid jamming issues, using only flathead pellets & seat your pellets in the belt with the included seating tool.