Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours


The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

 

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.






Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:24 pm
Posts: 248
Location: Montreal
My Glock shoots about 2" too low even at 15 feet
I've tried adjusting the hop up, but this did nothing...
I then removed the inner barrel from the barrel shroud and placed a few small pieces of black electric tape under the tip to help raise it up.
It made a little difference but not much,

Now my only option is to change the way I use the sights.
I know I could file down the front sights, but I'd rather avoid that

See below, I now have to aim as you see in diagram #2

Image

_________________
I like AIR!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:10 pm
Posts: 1342
Location: Winnipeg MB
I did not know that the Umarex Glock 17 Gen 4, .177 steel BB air pistol had "hop up". And did not think hop up had much effect on steel BB's. I thought it only worked on airsoft BB's.

Mine shot about 1.5" low at 24', when I first got it.

Now after using it about 10-15 times, it seems to be a bit more accurate. Doesn't shoot as low. Don't need to adjust the point of aim (POA) as much.

As I don't take my airguns apart to tinker with them as much as you do, I would recommend you try one of the following:

1) The simplest method would be to just adjust your POA. This is the method many shooters use on pistols with fixed sights.

2) Attach a red dot laser to the rail under the barrel & zero in the red dot. Although I have not tried it on this airgun, I have on others. All I can say is that the blowback may throw off the red dot, so a cheaper airsoft one may, or may not work. Might 1st want to try something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Shooneys-Compact- ... 193&sr=8-7

Also, a more expensive one with red dot & flashlight is also an option.

But keep trying & experimenting.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:24 pm
Posts: 248
Location: Montreal
BB1Shooter wrote:
I did not know that the Umarex Glock 17 Gen 4, .177 steel BB air pistol had "hop up". And did not think hop up had much effect on steel BB's. I thought it only worked on airsoft BB's.

Mine shot about 1.5" low at 24', when I first got it.

Now after using it about 10-15 times, it seems to be a bit more accurate. Doesn't shoot as low. Don't need to adjust the point of aim (POA) as much.

As I don't take my airguns apart to tinker with them as much as you do, I would recommend you try one of the following:

1) The simplest method would be to just adjust your POA. This is the method many shooters use on pistols with fixed sights.

2) Attach a red dot laser to the rail under the barrel & zero in the red dot. Although I have not tried it on this airgun, I have on others. All I can say is that the blowback may throw off the red dot, so a cheaper airsoft one may, or may not work. Might 1st want to try something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Shooneys-Compact- ... 193&sr=8-7

Also, a more expensive one with red dot & flashlight is also an option.

But keep trying & experimenting.



Thanks BB1, I have a red Lazer, but Was hoping to just use the iron sights. I do adjust my POA , was just wondering is other had any new tricks.
Yes there is a small hop up screw and you can see down the barrel that the rubber lip is there, but I think you are right... they work better on light airsoft BB;s

_________________
I like AIR!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:15 am
Posts: 4122
Location: Edmonton
BB1Shooter: I did not know that the Umarex Glock 17 Gen 4, .177 steel BB air pistol had "hop up".
And did not think hop up had much effect on steel BB's. I thought it only worked on airsoft BB's
. Image

It's a leftover from its airsoft origin.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:24 am
Posts: 108
Location: South shore Montreal
Personally I would file the top of the front post slowly and check POI frequently until matches with POA. If the white dot on the post is recessed I would fill it with putty, sand smooth and paint the dot back on.

_________________
«It's not enough that we do our best, sometimes we have to do what's required»
- Winston Churchill

Daisy 953
Umarex HPP
Walther PPK/S
Smith & Wesson M&P 40
Colt Python .357 (polymer)
Walther CP99
Smith & Wesson TRR8
KWC 226-S5


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:15 am
Posts: 4122
Location: Edmonton
Yeager wrote:
Personally I would file the top of the front post slowly and check POI frequently until matches with POA. If the white dot on the post is recessed I would fill it with putty, sand smooth and paint the dot back on.


:idea:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:24 pm
Posts: 248
Location: Montreal
Yeager wrote:
Personally I would file the top of the front post slowly and check POI frequently until matches with POA. If the white dot on the post is recessed I would fill it with putty, sand smooth and paint the dot back on.


I was hoping to avoid that, but it's most likely what Ill do.
Tks

_________________
I like AIR!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:10 pm
Posts: 1342
Location: Winnipeg MB
I think you will find that these types of replica air pistols, with fixed sights are not always that accurate. There are a number of reason why:
- They are mostly BB guns with short smooth bore barrels. Which by it's nature are prone to inaccurate shooting.
- People shoot at different ranges. Many of these are set up to shoot accurately at a certain distance, and therefore the elevation will be off a little.
- People have different shooting styles. Prior to Covid, I use to shoot a lot with friends, sharing the same airgun. We would sometimes get different results for the same gun.

I have a number of replica pistols with fixed sights. Some shoot dead on, right out of the box on my 24' basement range, some are way off. I'm not going to try to MacGyver each. I would rather just try to adjust the POA & install an under barrel laser. I try to make notes on the ones that are off & keep it with the gun. As I have too many to remember each & don't use some that often. Also, as I mentioned before, some of my pistols seem to shoot slightly different, once "broken in" or if you use different BB's. Read some of Tom Gaylord's gun reviews. He sometimes gets significantly different results using different BB's.

Would be interesting to know what people with real pistols do? As some don't have adjustable sights.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:04 am
Posts: 1210
Factory fixed sights for PB pistols should be good for around 25 yards and need be you aim a bit higher for further distances. If not take it to a gunsmith for adjustment. If new take it back to the place of purchase for adjustment/replacement. Just make sure it's the sights and not you.

_________________
I have some airguns.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:24 pm
Posts: 248
Location: Montreal
jckstrthmghty wrote:
Factory fixed sights for PB pistols should be good for around 25 yards and need be you aim a bit higher for further distances. If not take it to a gunsmith for adjustment. If new take it back to the place of purchase for adjustment/replacement. Just make sure it's the sights and not you.


Tks for all the replies, for now I;ll just change my POA.

FYI, When started wondering if it was me shooting too low, I placed the gun in a vise and shot it on target indoors with no wind or movement, and yes the results were still that it shoots too low.

_________________
I like AIR!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:45 am
Posts: 142
BB1Shooter wrote:
Would be interesting to know what people with real pistols do? As some don't have adjustable sights.


real guns iron sights are not much different from airguns iron sights, on some replicas they exactly the same. Real gun quality is better though, I never had to adjust sights so far. But if sight is adjustable you adjust it, if not - you replace sights, file them off a little, or just get used to change point of aim.

By the way there are a lot of different sights you can buy for Glock, so it might be possible to buy 3rd party Glock front sight and put it to Umarex G17.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:24 am
Posts: 108
Location: South shore Montreal
Tail Air Gunner wrote:

I was hoping to avoid that, but it's most likely what Ill do.
Tks


There is even a way to adjust for windage on fixed sites:
topic80545.html

_________________
«It's not enough that we do our best, sometimes we have to do what's required»
- Winston Churchill

Daisy 953
Umarex HPP
Walther PPK/S
Smith & Wesson M&P 40
Colt Python .357 (polymer)
Walther CP99
Smith & Wesson TRR8
KWC 226-S5


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:23 am
Posts: 4259
Location: Somewheres near the Atlantic
99% of most powder burner pistols. The rear sights are in a dovetail milled into the slide. You push them left or right in the dovetail to adjust.

Airguns being that they're cast and to cut cost. Are normally just cast with them on the slide.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:23 am
Posts: 4259
Location: Somewheres near the Atlantic
scanny wrote:
BB1Shooter wrote:
Would be interesting to know what people with real pistols do? As some don't have adjustable sights.


real guns iron sights are not much different from airguns iron sights, on some replicas they exactly the same. Real gun quality is better though, I never had to adjust sights so far. But if sight is adjustable you adjust it, if not - you replace sights, file them off a little, or just get used to change point of aim.

By the way there are a lot of different sights you can buy for Glock, so it might be possible to buy 3rd party Glock front sight and put it to Umarex G17.


They are quite different. You adjust them by a sight pusher or a non marring punch. They're in a dovetail. Or installing taller or shorter front posts.

99% of PB pistols out in the market you can adjust the sights. Without filing. They cut cost with airguns.

Only time I seen 100% fixed sights, are older single action revolvers, or some carry pistols that have a groove.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:35 pm
Posts: 8124
Location: P.G. B.C.
As well, guns shoot differently for different people. It's the way they see the sights, hold the gun and squeeze the trigger.
As Leadslinger noted, air guns are made to cut costs. Adjustable sights, even those in dovetails requires "more" machine work, higher priced parts and thus much higher, overall prices than
what the mfg'r thinks the market will bear.
BB1 noted this: People have different shooting styles. Prior to Covid, I use to shoot a lot with friends, sharing the same airgun. We would sometimes get different results for the same gun.
Every one of my brother's rifles, iron sights or get this, scopes too, shoots 2" low for me at 50 yards with metallic sights, 100 meters with scopes - that's just the different way we see the
sights. On the other hand, my buddy Keith can sight in a rifle for me and I for him, irons or scoped. We shoot identically, yet we are not of the same "stature" at all.

_________________
Best Wishes
Daryl


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

phpBB SEO