Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: TX200 detune
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:41 pm 

Can I detune my TX to the 12 pound limit using the original fac spring. I am going to make a delrin top hat and spring guide. Can I cut a coil or so off the spring Or what spring should I get to start with. My intension is to try my hand at the hunter field target. Thanks in advance for any help.

Benjamin Classic .22
Umarex Colt 1911
QB78D .22
Xisico XS46U .22
AA TX200 .177

Post subject: Re: TX200 detune
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:01 pm 

That is certainly doable. Wondering if the top hat is fairly thick and if there are spacer washers in the gun at present? When you make the dlrin top hat, make the part that extends the length much shorter. I have a variety of top hats from maybe 2to 3mm up to over a centimetre thick. Every 2to 3 mm you take off in length, drops the velocity between 10 and 15 fps. So shortening the top hat and taking out any spacer washes can significantly reduce velocity. Make sure your top hat fits in snug with a friction fit and the guide is also very snug in the spring. The guide should go in easy enough, but maintains contact with the spring over the guide's entire length. That will take all the vibration out and make it smooth.

Cutting a coil off a spring is also ok, just make sure you use a torch to heat the last coil where you cut it and bend it down to touch the next coil. Then grind it to a flat surface at 90 degrees so it is flat against the top hat or guide.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:42 pm 

The hunter class is 20 foot pounds .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:52 pm 

If you want to shoot WFTF class then yes detune. But Hunter class allows up to 20 FPE so you can shoot hunter without having to change your set up. I don't think you would be over 20 FPE in .177 fac. just a heads up incase you did not know this.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:22 am 

Attachment:
chrony pic.png
chrony pic.png [ 23.1 KiB | Viewed 194 times ]
I am impressed with the way this gun shoots now, I am looking to smooth it out a bit and gain as much mechanical advantage I can get to help with my short comings. This is what it is shooting now. I think I would need to drop approximately 100fps. What ever I do I would like to duplicate so I can have a back up spring should one fail. Is there a spring available I could buy without buying a complete tune kit? I am not against buying one I just enjoy making my own parts. Thanks again.

Benjamin Classic .22
Umarex Colt 1911
QB78D .22
Xisico XS46U .22
AA TX200 .177

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:02 am 

Kevin Loder wrote:
Attachment:
chrony pic.png
I am impressed with the way this gun shoots now, I am looking to smooth it out a bit and gain as much mechanical advantage I can get to help with my short comings. This is what it is shooting now. I think I would need to drop approximately 100fps. What ever I do I would like to duplicate so I can have a back up spring should one fail. Is there a spring available I could buy without buying a complete tune kit? I am not against buying one I just enjoy making my own parts. Thanks again.

See if Airgunsource has a factory 12 fpe. spring,they used to carry them,kelly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:09 am 

Try to contact Travis at Air Gun Source to see if he can get the 12 ft/lb springs like all the British rifles have in them. Failing that, maybe a British dealer would sell you a couple. Not sure if anyone in Canada stocks them.

Going with the sub 12 ft/lb is the way to go in my opinion. You can use higher power, but the guys winning events are shooting the 12 ft/lb guns. I think Joel, our top Canadian shooter, is shooting in the area of 740 - 750 fps with the 8.44 pellets. He certainly is not having any issues with accuracy. I try to keep all my TX guns shooting between 10 and 11 ft/lb and I like them that way. My hunter carbine is shooting the 8.44 at about 785 - 790, so it is due for a tweak to get it down to a max of 760 fps.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:18 pm 

Opened up my carbine today and removed the one spacing washer that was in it. Shooting at 770 now with the 8.44s. Hope it will settle in and drop a few fps over the next thousand shots or so. It is at about 11.1 ft/lb, so that is ok with me for now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:40 pm 

Ordered 2 springs from AGS. I will let you know how I make out. Thanks everyone.

Benjamin Classic .22
Umarex Colt 1911
QB78D .22
Xisico XS46U .22
AA TX200 .177