Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:16 am 

I’d like to test different pellets in my HW80 .22 800FPS rated.
I’ve already got :
-JSB Hades .22cal, 15.89gr hallowpoint (they shoot well at 20y but seem loose when loading)
-JSB Match Diabolo Exact .22cal, 15.89gr (fit nice and snug and shoot well)
-JSB Diabolo Exact Jumbo Heavy .22cal, 18.13gr

I’ve been suggested to try:
-H&N FTT 5.53
-H&N slugs of some type (looking for hitting power at close range)
Any suggestions what exactly I should search for these?

Also, where is a good place to order test pellets in Canada (Montreal, QC).

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:41 am 

Make sure to try the HNN ftt 5.55 (14.66gr), for my 80 its close between jsb 15.89 5.53 but hnn more constant groupings at 25yard (dime size for both though)

http://targets.ca/ check his ebay store http://www.ebaystores.ca/olympicmarksmanequipment/
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/177-22-H-N-Pell ... 7e0f2e9e8c

check picture 2 for chart
ships from Gatineau, i usually get my orders in 2 days

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:18 pm 

Kinda difficult to suggest pellet suppliers when we don't know from where you hail.

Pellets being made of lead, have a healthy charge for mailing & thus, the closer the store
the less for mailing charges.

Due to the power level of the HW80, I would suggest heavier pellets, in the 18.1gr., 19.09gr. to 21.3gr. range.
H&N makes these.
I would not likely try the H&N bullets. Something to do with the bearing surface of these & the added friction/vs. power stroke of the
spring. On the other hand, the JSB Hybrids might work just fine.

The 15.89gr. Hades pellets work well in all my .22 cal rifles and 26.65gr. Hades in my .25 cal. rifles. For some reason, they have a broad base
of rifles that shoot them well.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:37 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Kinda difficult to suggest pellet suppliers when we don't know from where you hail.

Pellets being made of lead, have a healthy charge for mailing & thus, the closer the store
the less for mailing charges.

Due to the power level of the HW80, I would suggest heavier pellets, in the 18.1gr., 19.09gr. to 21.3gr. range.
H&N makes these.
I would not likely try the H&N bullets. Something to do with the bearing surface of these & the added friction/vs. power stroke of the
spring. On the other hand, the JSB Hybrids might work just fine.

The 15.89gr. Hades pellets work well in all my .22 cal rifles and 26.65gr. Hades in my .25 cal. rifles. For some reason, they have a broad base
of rifles that shoot them well.

I'm confused by your post ?
You say "we don't know from where you hail" - but I posted (Montreal/Qc).
You suggest heavier pellets for my HW80 and say H&N makes them... but then say you "would not likely try the H&N bullets". (so are you not recommending them then?).
Thanks for clarifying... maybe it's just me misunderstanding your post.

Still looking for suggestions as to where I can order H&N test packs for MONTREAL/QUEBEC delivery.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:07 pm 

Hi, Daryl may have something to add... then again he may not. Anyhow, a bullet has a different shape than a pellet. Pellets are generally waisted (diabolo types), whereas bullets are more of a slug shape and therefore also much heavier than pellets. So, the recommendation is H&N heavy pellets are OK, but bullets are too heavy.
Looks like shoot has bot your back too.
I have bought pellets from nikonos as well as CAF store and Archery Fun. Sometimes you can get a deal on Amazon. Generally, stock up on pellets when you order something else, that way the shipping cost is incrementally small. All the best, :drinkers:

Duke ))))----//----------==

HW97K .22
Hatsan AT44-10W .22
Cometa Fusion Premiere Star .22 /.177 (For sale on CAF)
Hatsan AT44-10MW .22 (For sale on CAF)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:14 pm 

Jorg wrote:
I’d like to test different pellets in my HW80 .22 800FPS rated.
I’ve already got :
-JSB Hades .22cal, 15.89gr hallowpoint (they shoot well at 20y but seem loose when loading)
-JSB Match Diabolo Exact .22cal, 15.89gr (fit nice and snug and shoot well)
-JSB Diabolo Exact Jumbo Heavy .22cal, 18.13gr

I’ve been suggested to try:
-H&N FTT 5.53
-H&N slugs of some type (looking for hitting power at close range)
Any suggestions what exactly I should search for these?

Also, where is a good place to order test pellets in Canada (Montreal, QC).

Thanks!

I have an HW80 in .22 and I have the same experience with the JSB pellets you have tried.
I love the JSB Match Diabolo Exact .22cal, 15.89gr! It's the pellet my HW80 has been waiting for. As they give me very tight groups and I like that they are a little bit heavier than a lot of .22 cal pellets that are around 14.5 gr. And yes, they fit the bore a little tighter than other pellets.

I really wish the Hades fit better in the bore as I don't like shooting loose fitting pellets in a magnum springer. Also the Hades seem to need a lot of velocity to expand when I shoot them into a duct seal trap. They don't expand at all when I shoot them in lower powered airguns, under 650 fps.

I would also agree to try the H&N Field Target Trophy, they shoot well in my gun. Not sure what head size to recommend. ie. 5.52mm, 5.53mm, etc.
Crosman Premier in .22 (in the cardboard box, I haven't tried them in the tins) also shoot well.

My HW80 has aftermarket parts so it shoots a little faster than stock. That's also why I like slightly tighter fit pellets or slightly heavier pellets to reduce the chance the piston will slam into the front wall of the chamber. My personal opinion is not to shoot pellets heavier than 18 gr in your HW80. I believe the really heavy pellets are meant for the PCP rifles as they can develop a lot more power from heavy pellets.

As for where to buy, I would try Canada Shooting supplies in Ontario, for pellets. Airgunarcheryfun.ca in Saskatchewan is also a great place to deal with. Airgunsource.ca and D&L Airgun are also places I have ordered from. I have had great experience with all of these places.

Sorry, I don't know of any in Quebec, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:33 pm 

Jorg - sry - I missed the "Montreal" in brackets on your last sentence.

Doc nails it on bullet shape and friction.
I thought this was self explanatory.

"I would not likely try the H&N bullets. Something to do with the bearing surface of these & the added friction/vs. power stroke of the
spring. On the other hand, the JSB Hybrids might work just fine." The key there is "Hybrids" Due to the huge hollow, they likely will not produce
the same friction as the thicker walled H&N's.

In .22, the heavy H&N pellets will give you all the "Hitting" power you will likely need.
The heavy pellets shot the best in my HW 98 in .22, until I found the lighter Hades (after they came out) were the very best in it.

The .22 Barracuda Hunter at 18.2gr. shoots well in my HW97 15fpe springer, as does the 21.14gr. RN and 19.09gr. Barracuda Hunter Extreme.
Their 21.14 gr. RN is quite pointed, as is the older 21.34gr. RN & less suitable for hunting due to that shape. A flat (hollow point) nose like the Hunter Extreme or Barracuda Hunter
will transfer more energy to the target.
The heavy H&N's also increased the FPE of the HW98 rifle over the lighter pellets, showing they were not too heavy, but increased efficiency of the springer. How this will work in your HW80
I do not know.
Those heavier pellets shoot well in my3 PCP rifles & 2 PCP pistols as well.

As far as fit, not all individual barrels of a given make, model and calibre will be identical. The Hades pellets fit both my HW .22's perfectly & shoot best in both, as well.

This means you will have to try them to know.

Last edited by Daryl on Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:43 pm 

Jorg,

In Montreal, Dante (on St Dominique St) used to have a variety of pellets on hand... Not sure if they still do :?:
Any of the site sponsors would also be able to help you out.
Personally, I get most of my pellets from Jocelyn (Cible Target Canada, nikkonos on Ebay)

Shipping is always the killer, so to make it worthwhile, it is best to buy more than 1 or 2 tins...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:05 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Jorg - sry - I missed the "Montreal" in brackets on your last sentence.

Doc nails it on bullet shape and friction.
I thought this was self explanatory.

"I would not likely try the H&N bullets. Something to do with the bearing surface of these & the added friction/vs. power stroke of the
spring. On the other hand, the JSB Hybrids might work just fine." The key there is "Hybrids" Due to the huge hollow, they likely will not produce
the same friction as the thicker walled H&N's.

In .22, the heavy H&N pellets will give you all the "Hitting" power you will likely need.
The heavy pellets shot the best in my HW 98 in .22, until I found the lighter Hades (after they came out) were the very best in it.

The .22 Barracuda Hunter at 18.2gr. shoots well in my HW97 15fpe springer, as does the 21.14gr. RN and 19.09gr. Barracuda Hunter Extreme.
Their 21.14 gr. RN is quite pointed, as is the older 21.34gr. RN & less suitable for hunting due to that shape. A flat (hollow point) nose like the Hunter Extreme or Barracuda Hunter
will transfer more energy to the target.
The heavy H&N's also increased the FPE of the HW98 rifle over the lighter pellets, showing they were not too heavy, but increased efficiency of the springer. How this will work in your HW80
I do not know.
Those heavier pellets shoot well in my3 PCP rifles & 2 PCP pistols as well.

Quote:
As far as fit, not all individual barrels of a given make, model and calibre will be identical. The Hades pellets fit both my HW .22's perfectly & shoot best in both, as well.

This means you will have to try them to know.

This quote is the best advice that I had been given early on as an airgunner when wondering about pellet choice. After all, we all can give you some ideas on which pellets to try, but the only way to be sure is to to test them in your HW80. And to me that is a large part of the fun.

Good luck and have fun.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:06 pm 

There are "trends" in good shooting pellets, though. Some rifles really like Crossman pellets, however, those rifles will likely shoot JSB's or H&N's more accurately
as well. I have had rifles that shot the .22 cal. 14.43gr. Crossman HP quite well at 20 to 25 yards, but after testing H&N's and JSB's in the same rifles, I stopped
buying the Crossman pellets. They had gone up in price to quite close to the better pellets, so the added accuracy of the Euro pellets was worth the extra cost.

I did made the mistake of buying 2-boxes each of 29gr. and 33.5gr. .25 calibre bullets. Neither of my .25 cal. rifles like them.
So - a few, maybe 20 bullets missing from 2 boxes, one of each weight & the other 2 boxes unopened. IT happens. Maybe at
some time in the future I will have a .25 that likes them.
Both rifles shoot the Hades pellets very well along with some others, of course, JSB and H&N's.

KEEP RECORDS of all of your tests. That makes shopping for pellets or bullets much easier.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:25 am 

thanks for all the advise everyone