Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:17 pm 

What does everyone think about this comparison review by Mike K. @ Replica Airguns?

youtube.com/watch?v=VW_s_JKXqo0&feature=emb_logo

Might not have been a fair comparison for the MP40. I'm getting quarter sized groups at 24" in full auto. And did not recognize the fact that its magazine capacity is 2x as much as the other ones. I think this makes a big difference for a full auto gun.

Also, I think the Crosman is the Bushmaster, not the R1.

And maybe time he got the new FX Chronograph.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:03 pm 

BB1Shooter wrote:
What does everyone think about this comparison review by Mike K. @ Replica Airguns?

youtube.com/watch?v=VW_s_JKXqo0&feature=emb_logo

Might not have been a fair comparison for the MP40. I'm getting quarter sized groups at 24" in full auto. And did not recognize the fact that its magazine capacity is 2x as much as the other ones. I think this makes a big difference for a full auto gun.

Also, I think the Crosman is the Bushmaster, not the R1.

And maybe time he got the new FX Chronograph.

Hi BB1SHOOTER

I just watched his video. I think you are right

So you are getting quarter sized grouping at 24" inches away ?

I have the MP40 and the Crosman Panther ARMS DMPS,
I find both shoot well in full auto, but the DPMS shoots more accurately in semi and full auto mode.

That being said, you are correct in the fact that the MP40 can hold more BB's., almost twice the BB'S of the Crosman which means more spring pressure on the first 15 or so BBS
so that might be too much pressure and cause it to malfunction like it did in his video, and like it has with other owners of the MP40

I've read that it's best to load 10 BB's less than what the manufactures suggests

I discovered a video of a kid and his dad who had multiple feeding issues with the MP40
causing it not to fire, I have never had a jam or misfire after using their trick.

When loading the BB's ( Holding the mag horizontal ) after each BB is inserted, tilt the mag left and right
rocking back and fourth to stagger the BB's so that there is no visible space between them. This allows the spring to not be as tight
and it seems to allow the gun to work smooth. I've shoot mag after mag on full auto and never a jam. I also clean and lub the gun
on a regular basis. The Thompson I do not own, but they are both Umarex and I bet the internal mechanisms are the same as the MP-40

On a side note, I have the Full Auto UZI from Cybergun/KWC, its the older model that was modded to full auto.
Uses only 1 CO2, and you can shoot about two mags..but the LARGE METAL bolt, is by far the most aggressive realistic feeling , the auto is crazy on that gun.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:10 pm 

TAG,

You are right. I meant to say quarter sized grouping 24 feet. Thanks for catching my error.

I have all 3 of the airguns in the video. Just a Panther Arms DPMS, not the Bushmaster. But as said, both Crosmans (& the R1) have the same internals & barrel length.

I also an CO2 Uzi converted to full auto. And I agree the blowback on it is heavy. You have to hold on in full auto to stay on target.

I think the MP40 has the heaviest blowback of the 3. And this is probably why it was the least accurate in full auto, as like the Uzi, you really need to have a firm hold on it, if you want to shoot accurately in full auto. It took me a while to get a handle on the MP40 in full auto. Short bursts are the best (like with the Uzi).

I have never had an issue with jamming on my MP40. I bought a later model (weather, with leather sling) so the magazine was already changed from 60 to 52 BBs. Also I only use Black Diamond BB in it (as well as in the DPMS & M1A1) and use a Umarex Speedloader to fill up the MP40 magazine. Using the speedloader, it seems to zigzag the BBs in the mag. for the most part.

Maybe if Mike checked his equipment (guns & chrono) before he started the camera rolling, he wouldn't have as many problems. Seems to be a common theme with his videos. But then he does do a lot of them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:26 pm 

I think that video shows that MP-40 has stronger blowback and other guns are easier to hold still. That's why MP40 got worst grouping in full auto. Also Mike didn't test how much BBs you can shoot per CO2 cartridge (or 2 cartridges in this case).

Since all the guns are replicas, I would also compare them as how close they feel to the original. Thomson seems to have stock looing as plastic on video and this would be a big drawback for me. Crossman DPMS should have had at least 30 BBs magazine capacity as a real one, I surprised that Crossman came up with only 20 rounds magazines. I like MP40 the most (bought it few months ago) and weathered version in my opinion worth it even it doesn't work at all, just for looks. But my Mp40 so far worked flawlessly. Maybe I'm just lucky - I used Umarex Black Diamonds BBs without any tricks and never had any issues although I'm on 4th BBs bottle already, so I put at least 3500 rounds through it. My only regret that I didn't buy additional magazine or two with it.

I would probably buy a Crossman DMPS next when it's on sale, then maybe Thomson : )

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:03 pm 

Yup, agree with you both on all points.

Like you guys, I too have the Weatherd MP40, I used to work in the film industry as a graphic designer and prop builder, so I did my own variations on the weathering.
Like you BB1SHOOTER mine is the later model, so no issues. I shoot cheap Daisy BB's. WOW you can get a quarter size grouping at 24 feet? I need to hold onto mine tighter, LOL

Sacanny:
The DPMS is an amazing gun, I put a red dot on it, and it is very accurate. Even with the iron sighs, it very good for me.
It's in my top favorites in my collection of about 20.

I've never loaded all three of my guns and fired them side by side, MP40 / DMPS / UZI

So Ill take your word that the MP40 is the hardest.

For me the DPMS is the best of full auto.

I must say, that the FULL auto "buzz" wore off for me, I spent some time in the military and I tend to shoot in bursts from habit.
I rarely shoot full auto anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:38 am 

Tail Air Gunner wrote:
Yup, agree with you both on all points.

Like you guys, I too have the Weatherd MP40, I used to work in the film industry as a graphic designer and prop builder, so I did my own variations on the weathering.
Like you BB1SHOOTER mine is the later model, so no issues. I shoot cheap Daisy BB's. WOW you can get a quarter size grouping at 24 feet? I need to hold onto mine tighter, LOL

Sacanny:
The DPMS is an amazing gun, I put a red dot on it, and it is very accurate. Even with the iron sighs, it very good for me.
It's in my top favorites in my collection of about 20.

I've never loaded all three of my guns and fired them side by side, MP40 / DMPS / UZI

So Ill take your word that the MP40 is the hardest.

For me the DPMS is the best of full auto.

I must say, that the FULL auto "buzz" wore off for me, I spent some time in the military and I tend to shoot in bursts from habit.
I rarely shoot full auto anymore.

I think MP40 has stronger recoil just from the video, could be that Thompson heavier and DPMS is more ergonomic and easier to keep steady. Shooting bursts if a way to go of course if you want to hit targets, I guess on a video Mike shoot 25 rounds in one burst just for a test. it never occurred to me to shoot full auto not in 3-5 shoots bursts, but maybe because I used to serve to : )

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:38 am 

Another point to note is that the MP40 was never intended as an "accurate" shooting gun,
the real ones did not have selective fire, it was only a full auto gun, so it was "Spray and pray" .. or in the hands of a experienced mP user,
they could get off bursts of 4 or 5 rounds..
For me, I collect based on how accurate the historical representation is, so the MP is great in my option.

The AR / DPMS on the other hand is replica of a larger caliber rifle with full auto, so I am happy that it too
is a good representation of a real AR. 40 to 50 feet I can still hit 3'' cans...I've never tried longer distances, but I'll be trying it in the fields later this week

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:51 am 

This is the problem, someone makes a replica BB gun, and everybody expect it to be a tack driver with match trigger, also able to mount it reddot. When it intended purpose, is to look as real, and to be a plinker.

MP40 with wired stock, wasn't mean to be shot accurately, just spray and pray. Heck I seen these complaints about people with the 22LR version. Or people with GSG 16 ( MP5 ) and expecting a light trigger and match barrel ) when it suppose to be a SMG.

Then when they add a magazine limit to about what it suppose to have, people get annoyed that they want more. Like the M1 carbine, it holds 15, just like the real M1. Or the Thompson M1A1 people saying it needs a drum ( Well that gun never was designed to use a drum, only the 1928 )

So I find people expect more out of these autos. And alot are unrealistic to what the intended purpose of these guns are for..

Full auto is fun, esp when it depends on what you using. Rifle not so much, but machineguns, now we are talking. M2 50 BMG or C6 GPMG with 12 cans of 762.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:33 am 

leadslinger wrote:
This is the problem, someone makes a replica BB gun, and everybody expect it to be a tack driver with match trigger, also able to mount it reddot. When it intended purpose, is to look as real, and to be a plinker.

MP40 with wired stock, wasn't mean to be shot accurately, just spray and pray. Heck I seen these complaints about people with the 22LR version. Or people with GSG 16 ( MP5 ) and expecting a light trigger and match barrel ) when it suppose to be a SMG.

Then when they add a magazine limit to about what it suppose to have, people get annoyed that they want more. Like the M1 carbine, it holds 15, just like the real M1. Or the Thompson M1A1 people saying it needs a drum ( Well that gun never was designed to use a drum, only the 1928 )

So I find people expect more out of these autos. And alot are unrealistic to what the intended purpose of these guns are for..

Full auto is fun, esp when it depends on what you using. Rifle not so much, but machineguns, now we are talking. M2 50 BMG or C6 GPMG with 12 cans of 762.

Yup, could not agree more.
In the end, these are all just BB replica "toys for boys" that's what they do, shoot paper and cans. Not sure why people split hairs about 360 fps vs 410
you are just shooting cans etc. LOL

FPS and accuracy is more important when playing airsoft because anything too hard hitting is not permitted on fields ,and you are shooting at moving targets etc so accuracy is important

But for backyard plinking with Steel BB full auto guns is fun for the effect.

I dislike when a BB hand gun has FULL auto mode, when the real version does not... Example the Umarex Beretta M92 A1 the real gun did not have full auto., also the KWC Desert Eagle in
6mm I have is full auto, its nuts.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:43 pm 

Tail Air Gunner wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

Yup, could not agree more.
In the end, these are all just BB replica "toys for boys" that's what they do, shoot paper and cans. Not sure why people split hairs about 360 fps vs 410
you are just shooting cans etc. LOL

FPS and accuracy is more important when playing airsoft because anything too hard hitting is not permitted on fields ,and you are shooting at moving targets etc so accuracy is important

But for backyard plinking with Steel BB full auto guns is fun for the effect.

I dislike when a BB hand gun has FULL auto mode, when the real version does not... Example the Umarex Beretta M92 A1 the real gun did not have full auto., also the KWC Desert Eagle in
6mm I have is full auto, its nuts.

I noticed that if magazine limit isn't a think accuracy doesn't matter. People just spray. Was like that with paintball.. Oh you got a 200rd hopper, you just suppress the target. VS people with pump paintball, and picking their shots.

But people did convert Beretta 92 to fire in full auto. And wasn't just the burst model 93R. So there is some truth to that, just wasn't a Beretta line. A Full Auto DE, would result in soooo many people accidently shooting themselves. Because cannot handle the gun when it is semi auto due to the recoil ( .50AE )

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:47 pm 

I think a full auto version of the real Beretta 92 was made (in limited quantities) for the police in Italy. Possibly refer to as the 93R.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:37 am 

BB1Shooter wrote:
I think a full auto version of the real Beretta 92 was made (in limited quantities) for the police in Italy. Possibly refer to as the 93R.

Well 93R was different than a 92 ( no slide mounted safety ) And it wasn't full auto. It was only Burst.

Quote:
"R" stands for Raffica, which is Italian for "volley", "flurry", or "burst" (sometimes spoken "R" as "Rapid" in English

But people made conversion for the 92, to make it full auto.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:19 pm 

Don't ignore the selector switch on the M/P 40.
While burst and full auto can be fun, my pre-weathered finish version is very accurate at the s/a setting.
No real problems connecting on 12 ga hulls at 15 yards with the black umarex b.b's.
Doing so saves on wasted co-2 and prevents the mag from cooling too rapidly.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:53 pm 

yes, I do agree with the opinions you all posted here. I liked the review but U really don't think that it was the best review for that product. It still could've been better if it covered a few more aspects.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:48 am 

Another video on this topic by Mike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3rpQwwG5jc