Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:02 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
ten-ring wrote:
" Ive been using the same duct seal for 5 years."

Do you pick pellets out of duct seal often so that numerous shots over time do not bounce of accumulated pellets?

I do clean it out once in awhile. But the ductseal and the lead is soo soft. That pellet just normally stack and turn into a blob of lead. Plus the milk crate is deep enough that I normally don't get many bounce outs. Most of the richocet and bounce out are due to my knock down targets or steel gongs.

Sounds good. I have been picking pellets out after each session but doing so makes gouges in duct seal resulting in less depth.
I have a foil tray on floor anyway to catch those that bounce of the accumulated shots.

For BBs ,I use cheap carpet pieces from dollar store or the foam playmats from Wallymart cut to size.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:17 pm 

ten-ring wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
ten-ring wrote:
" Ive been using the same duct seal for 5 years."

Do you pick pellets out of duct seal often so that numerous shots over time do not bounce of accumulated pellets?

I do clean it out once in awhile. But the ductseal and the lead is soo soft. That pellet just normally stack and turn into a blob of lead. Plus the milk crate is deep enough that I normally don't get many bounce outs. Most of the richocet and bounce out are due to my knock down targets or steel gongs.

Sounds good. I have been picking pellets out after each session but doing so makes gouges in duct seal resulting in less depth.
I have a foil tray on floor anyway to catch those that bounce of the accumulated shots.

For BBs ,I use cheap carpet pieces from dollar store or the foam playmats from Wallymart cut to size.

Yeah carpet is great for BB's.
I wanted to try the duct seal, but the rubber pad I use does the job, and I had it lying around... cheap

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:33 pm 

The mention of rubber pads made me think of the high-density foam ground sheets. Has anyone tired them? They would likely work wel0l, hanging loose -
2 layers should work perfectly for low vel. air guns, but the hanging loose squares of carpet is likely as good or even better.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:45 pm 

Daryl wrote:
The mention of rubber pads made me think of the high-density foam ground sheets. Has anyone tired them? They would likely work wel0l, hanging loose -
2 layers should work perfectly for low vel. air guns, but the hanging loose squares of carpet is likely as good or even better.

I'm not sure what is high-density foam ground sheets, but if it the sort of used for camping or yoga, pellets go right trough. I got some left overs I used as a targets - cut 1"x2" pieces, pierce them with toothpick and other end of toothpick I put in thick 2"x2"cardboard. So freestanding foam doesn't stop pellets. But any thick cloth seems to work well as long as it's loose. Also I tried left overs of pink 2" extruded foam insulation - it's a good for targets, but not as a backstop ; )

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:29 pm 

rob g wrote:
airmec wrote:
Nice box rob g! Good idea to have two different heights of shooting. Where do you buy rubber mulch?

Well-packed old plastic (grocery) bags makes a very good ''filling'' for a shooting box too.

You can get the rubber mulch from Canadian Tire, Lowes, Home Depot. My original box was a plastic tote. It worked ok but was a bit weak and started to leak rubber around areas that would bulge. By making a box from wood I was able to make the size to better fit the target. I had some light aluminum angle in the shop so I used that to hold the plastic board on 3 edges. The rubber mulch works great at stopping pellets from my TX200 and FWB124. The box is 8" deep.

Thanks, will have a look for sure!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:01 pm 

Just a follow up on my target box. I shot it with my .22 Impact (@30 fpe) from 24 ft and 15 ft with no pass thru or any apparent damage to the 3/8" OSB I used as a back plate. The box is 8" deep.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:10 pm 

This one stops everything in air guns, including my Condor .25 shooting 51gr bullets.
I staple a sheet of cardboard across the front, then hang targets on the clips.
The angled 18" square steel plate, is 3/16" thick. The pellets & bullets do not dent it in the least.
There is another 1/4" X 3" x 18" steel plate running under it, to protect the bottom wood support from
damage.

Attachments:
IMG_2656.JPG
IMG_2656.JPG [ 547.59 KiB | Viewed 469 times ]
IMG_2652.JPG
IMG_2652.JPG [ 646.7 KiB | Viewed 469 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:33 pm 

I was thinking about put a metal backstop, but then I though that pellets might be creating lead dust when hit the metal.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:00 pm 

Lead chunks. No dust that I have seen & I have run them on that target butt up to 900fps.
If the plate was vertical, it is possible there could be dust from higher vel. Any of the slow
motion impact videos I have seen, using .22 RF longrifle 40gr. bullets at well over 1,000fps
impact speed, there was zero lead dust. Indeed, even higher velocity impacts well over
1,500fps there was no dust produced, but complete bullet fragmentation.

Attachments:
IMG_2653.JPG
IMG_2653.JPG [ 694.29 KiB | Viewed 451 times ]