Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Rubber mulch target box
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:00 pm 

Just built a rubber mulch filled target box for the basement. It has a strap on the back cut on a 45 degree to hang on a similar strap mounted to the wall. One wall strap low and one high so I can also practice my standing shots this winter.

Attachment:
IMG_20201022_134426.jpg
IMG_20201022_134426.jpg [ 645.34 KiB | Viewed 1091 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:57 pm 

Very nice Target box. Save oven pizza boxs , TV dinners, cracker boxes ect and glue Targets on them. makes the stronger and just cut cardboard to size. :)

Nothing better than shooting in the house. Grab a coffee when I wake up and shoot sh*t. Some play video games and some do the real thing. Last video game I played cost me a quarter and got 2 games for the quarter.Ten cents for the bus ride to pool hall. I spend hours sitting at shooting bench shooting and watch my Amazon firestick, Utube and Twitch Tv. Great thing about Covid-19 is the wife and I learned we don't need Bell Canada and their $480 per month bill. Jail Broken Firesticks and (3) Lucky cell phones, unlimited internet and costs $150 per month and get even more than the old way with Bell. CHEERS!

Last edited by wheeliehd on Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:03 pm 

Replace or repair your backing often. I just used duct tape. Helps saves the mulch from pouring out, when your shooting in the same area over and over, making bigger holes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:05 pm 

I use old seed signs printed on the corrugated plastic board. Just cut them to size. The ones I'm collecting now are 24"x16" so I just have to cut them in half.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:07 pm 

if you use non-pal guns than old towel hanging loose in a box can be a good backstop. Pellets can't penetrate it or ricochet - they just fall down.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:25 pm 

scanny wrote:
if you use non-pal guns than old towel hanging loose in a box can be a good backstop. Pellets can't penetrate it or ricochet - they just fall down.

I would still put something solid behind. I've seen make shift traps fail.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:23 am 

Nice box rob g! Good idea to have two different heights of shooting. Where do you buy rubber mulch?

Well-packed old plastic (grocery) bags makes a very good ''filling'' for a shooting box too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:16 am 

airmec wrote:
Nice box rob g! Good idea to have two different heights of shooting. Where do you buy rubber mulch?

Well-packed old plastic (grocery) bags makes a very good ''filling'' for a shooting box too.

You can get the rubber mulch from Canadian Tire, Lowes, Home Depot. My original box was a plastic tote. It worked ok but was a bit weak and started to leak rubber around areas that would bulge. By making a box from wood I was able to make the size to better fit the target. I had some light aluminum angle in the shop so I used that to hold the plastic board on 3 edges. The rubber mulch works great at stopping pellets from my TX200 and FWB124. The box is 8" deep.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:50 am 

leadslinger wrote:
scanny wrote:

yes, of course it's always a good idea, and I would check that "something solid behind" periodically for pellet marks to replace towel if it becomes too worn. A cardboard box filled with cardboard from other boxes is a good pellet stop, but you'll need to replace it more often than a old towel. But if you buy a lot of things offline, it's good use for all those boxes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:29 am 

scanny wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
scanny wrote:

yes, of course it's always a good idea, and I would check that "something solid behind" periodically for pellet marks to replace towel if it becomes too worn. A cardboard box filled with cardboard from other boxes is a good pellet stop, but you'll need to replace it more often than a old towel. But if you buy a lot of things offline, it's good use for all those boxes.

Cheeping out on backstops cost you more in the long run. I think the best is duct seal and some plywood is the best non richoet pellet trap. Ive been using the same duct seal for 5 years. Which just sits in a milk crate. I got some steel traps. I might need to shoot them 20m before I won't get a richoet out. Also cardboard boxes, you need to add to it frequently, and more messy. Then when it is time to replace. Having to cut it open, to empty the pellets, and recycle.

Mulch is good because you can shake it to reset the mulch, to save blowing thru. I used to use foam kids interlockig floor mats, because it was like self sealing. But once a hole got big. I just added some duct tape to seal it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:57 am 

I'll throw in my vote for duct seal being the best backer for a pellet trap.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:23 am 

Nice job rob g
I like the fact that you can move it to shoot low or hight

This is what I use, its durable and my 500 and under FPS guns do not penetrate, they just bounce and fall inside of the trap.
I'm sure for those with stronger guns, they might double up on the thickness
My pellets barley leave a mark

For Steel 4.5 BB's I use a backing of three layers of old industrial carpet, steel BB's simply bounce and fall, and sometimes pass into the first layer,
they are steel and undamaged so I can reused them

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:00 pm 

" Ive been using the same duct seal for 5 years."

Do you pick pellets out of duct seal often so that numerous shots over time do not bounce of accumulated pellets?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:14 pm 

ten-ring wrote:
" Ive been using the same duct seal for 5 years."

Do you pick pellets out of duct seal often so that numerous shots over time do not bounce of accumulated pellets?

I do clean it out once in awhile. But the ductseal and the lead is soo soft. That pellet just normally stack and turn into a blob of lead. Plus the milk crate is deep enough that I normally don't get many bounce outs. Most of the richocet and bounce out are due to my knock down targets or steel gongs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:47 pm 

I vote Duck seal :!: using same batch from 2002. have to replace now though as i got lazy stopped picking pellets out. so just easier to replace now. nice job on box and hanging method. 8)