Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:25 am 

Is a PAL rated airgun considered a firearm in regards to storage laws and Pal ratings if the gun is totally dissassembled and in pieces..totally non functional.....Would it still be considered a firearm?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:42 am 

I think what you want to know is if you have all the parts for a PAL gun are you considered to have possession of a firearm. My gut says if it is dissembled and parts are spread far and wide then No.
If all the parts are together in a box, then probably Yes.

Duke ))))----//----------==

HW97K .22
Hatsan AT44-10W .22
Cometa Fusion Premiere Star .22 /.177

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:47 am 

MyCrosman wrote:
Is a PAL rated airgun considered a firearm in regards to storage laws and Pal ratings if the gun is totally dissassembled and in pieces..totally non functional.....Would it still be considered a firearm?

Technically yes, if a Police Officer really wants to ruin your day. They could go by the serial # to what it came into Canada as.

Like police could charge you for having a detuned 2260. Because there never was a detuned one. So you would need to show you bought the tube as parts, and it never was assembled into a PAL rated. There are alot of Grey areas with airguns.

But less likely to really bother you. Seems like only one that really care about enforcing the rules, are other airgunners.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:57 am 

Had a young semi-friend shooting a 1200Fps spring airgun in his backyard and cops looked at it and told him to leave it in his house. 1200FPS stamped right on air rifle. Depends if they want to deal with it or not. Some cops would likely not be so nice.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:47 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
MyCrosman wrote:

Technically yes, if a Police Officer really wants to ruin your day. They could go by the serial # to what it came into Canada as.

Like police could charge you for having a detuned 2260. Because there never was a detuned one. So you would need to show you bought the tube as parts, and it never was assembled into a PAL rated. There are alot of Grey areas with airguns.

But less likely to really bother you. Seems like only one that really care about enforcing the rules, are other airgunners.

The receiver itself is the firearm of a PAL rifle, thus even though disassembled and in itself incapable of discharging a projectile, it is still considered a firearm - according to Cdn. law.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:34 pm 

I agree with Daryl: "The receiver itself is the firearm of a PAL rifle, thus even though disassembled and in itself incapable of discharging a projectile, it is still considered a firearm - according to Cdn. law."

The receiver is the firearm, as I understand the rules. No reason to take the chance, IMO.

Webley Viscount .177
Benjamin NP XL Trail .25
Diana 470TH .177
Crossman 1377 Classic Pump .177
Beeman 500 Tactical .177
Diana Stormrider2 .22
QB79 HP Air conv. .177

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:34 pm 

On all the springers I have ever had, only the barrel has been marked 495 fps, never the receiver. Come to think of it even the S/N is etched or stamped on the breach block..not the receiver. Anyhow, with few drops of WD40 all springers are PAL airguns. So if I store WD40 in my gun cabinet do I have PAL airguns?

Duke ))))----//----------==

HW97K .22
Hatsan AT44-10W .22
Cometa Fusion Premiere Star .22 /.177

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:01 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
On all the springers I have ever had, only the barrel has been marked 495 fps, never the receiver. Come to think of it even the S/N is etched or stamped on the breach block..not the receiver. Anyhow, with few drops of WD40 all springers are PAL airguns. So if I store WD40 in my gun cabinet do I have PAL airguns?

My guess would be that in normal situation cops won't even look at pellet gun or parts of air gun in plain view. Unless of course it's a scary looking "tactical style" pellet gun. All modern airguns are supposed to have name stamped on receiver and by name you can determine if a gun is PAL or not. In the eyes of law PAL air guns have the same storage rules as any other non-restricted gun. And improper storage gives cops a reason to charge you. If you are charged with careless storage - my guess would be that Judge won't take explanation about WD40 : ) Not to mention that lawyers are not cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:17 pm 

Ha Ha. I hope it is not only Dukemeister who is withdrawing his tongue from his cheek with a smile on his face.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:04 pm 

Used to be and still might be, that if the forensic gun-smith can make a article into a firearm inside a 2 hour time limit, that "article' can be deemed
a firearm- now whether it is a prohibited or other wise, depends on the article. Such wide-zone laws and case laws are used to convict people who
are time and again, people of constant trouble.
The police can be sneaky if they want to be.
Case in point, a gun collector in North Vancouver was deemed a target by the police due to his vocal nature against gun laws. He was charged with possession
of a prohibited firearm, in that he had a government deactivated machine gun in his collection, that he had purchased from the government. Within the 2 hour limit,
the forensic gun-smith was able to get it activated - thus he was charged & convicted. Thankfully, he appealed & was then found not guilty by the appeal court.
The forensic gunsmith, in order to get the dewat to work, had to replace EVERYTHING but the trigger group. That was the only part of the original dewat that was used
in producing a workable sub machine gun - yet it was enough for the first court to find him guilty. Incidentally, it broke him in court and lawyer costs to beat the charges.
Such is the "system" we are in.

I guess the major lesson in this, is to NOT become a person of interest.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:12 pm 

How does it go?

Most rank-and-file-boots-on-the-ground officers are nice people just trying to do there jobs... But the higher in the chain of command you go, things tend to deteriorate.

There are many instances of crown attorney throwing every conceivable charge at someone, hoping for something to stick.
- Personally, I try to play by the rules (even though they might be just plain silly)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:53 pm 

Exactly, sillymike! At one time, I had a Winchester Model 94 "Trapper" in .45 Colt with 16" bl. I really liked that rifle and
shot 2 elk with it, but on a game check once, the environment officer blew his top SHOUTING THAT's A PROHIBITED
FIREARM! No, no, no Sir, I said. The overall length is over 26" & it's built that way. He pulled out a plasticized card from
his pocket, held it out and said, the barrel has to be over 18 1/2". I said, that's for a semi-auto. A policeman came over
and said, "THAT one is OK". with emphasis on the "THAT". "That's the way they come from the factory." I am sure the
situation would have deteriorated had that 'knowing' cop not walked over. I sold the rifle & got rid of the "potential problem".
Nothing I have now is even remotely questionable.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:07 pm 

LOL YES that was easy .....AIRGUN FORUM .......

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:29 am 

I have a question that is related to this topic.I have a NP2 with a non functional barrel shroud as per Canadian law.If I remove this barrel shroud the length of barrel is less than 470mm,does this turn it into a prohibited weapon simply by unscrewing the shroud?I dont want to be a person of interest so I leave it on.Thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:33 am 

Quote:
..Nothing I have now is even remotely questionable..

so far.