Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Peep sight use question
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:56 am 

Attachment:
46A56472-67A8-4184-9FB3-9255D7F00BEC.jpeg
46A56472-67A8-4184-9FB3-9255D7F00BEC.jpeg [ 85.84 KiB | Viewed 163 times ]
Lately I’ve been doing a lot of indoor 10m shooting due to the change in weather. I’m using the Williams .080” rear sight with the small globe over post Weihrauch front insert. I’ve experimented with rear sight distance and I think I shoot more accurately when I can see a small gap around the front globe and rear sight. Here’s the question . What is the preferred rear sight distance / what should the sight picture be when using this set up? This is the only pic I could find that’s even close to how I’m presently set up. But the gap is quite exaggerated.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:50 am 

You don't see this?

I'm not competitive whatsoever so keep that in mind. The rear site should be set up fairly close to your eye. A blinder really helps instead of closing one eye. I like space between the front, rear, and the target. The front to rear is rather static once you line up so whatever you prefer but the space between front globe and target helps understand your movement trend so some is needed. In my experience that is. In the end whatever works for you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:17 pm 

Yep ~ I agreed that you need to find your way which you can see the target you are aiming and make your aim comfortably.

And the rear sight looks closer to your eye would be better. You don't need to worry about the 'ghost ring' rear sight which looks like when you see it through in the close distance.

And I like to use and bought the smaller peep insert for my Williams sight because when you made it closer, the ghost ring will become bigger, and the distance between the front globe and ghost ring become bigger too... If the gap goes too big, it will become harder to aim...

Using peep sight is a very easy and fast aiming method to make good shoots. Once your front sight (whatever which insert you prefer) lock down the target, you shoot it without problem ~

However when you use the smaller aperture, lesser light can go through, the sight picture would become darker, and you need more illumination to light up your target or if shooting outdoors, need a good sunny day and avoid time like evening etc...

(I gave up my nice peep sight setup and use scopes instead due to earlier aging eyes and want to save some cents from my hydro bill... :eek:)

Enjoy ~ :drinkers:

HW45 with customized grips from UK
Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine
Camo Chaser long barrel carbine
PP700SA long barrel carbine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:34 pm 

You should be seeing 3 rings of light. Black rear aperture ring(close to the eye, then a light ring, then front aperture ring, then a light ring, front aperture, then a light, then bull in the middle.
If the rings of light are all equidistant (concentric) to the next black ring, best accuracy will usually be experienced.
Most like this.

Attachments:
aperture sighting.jpeg
aperture sighting.jpeg [ 20.14 KiB | Viewed 119 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:09 pm 

Thanks guys . My rear sight is for sure adjusted too far forward and I’m barely getting any gap. I’m going to see how far back I can bring them and hopefully I get better. Two things I suck at , shooting springers and using open sights. I need a lot more practice.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:36 pm 

Each time I mount my peep sights on, it's on the far end position, and when you position your cheek on the stock, a slightly different distance to the sight actually making great difference on the sight picture...

I am not very used to the circle shape front insert, thinking it takes too much room on the sight picture. And I used to the sight post insert more. Maybe it's because the first time I used Williams peep sight was on my 2240 carbine, and the front sight was just a post on the muzzle brake...

You can just try them out and find one makes your day~

HW45 with customized grips from UK
Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine
Camo Chaser long barrel carbine
PP700SA long barrel carbine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:00 pm 

Holy crap. Sorry about my picture. As Daryl mentioned three rings of light for sure and thank you for clarifying. Embarrassing on my part.

We could all use more practice.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:08 pm 

The older Anschutz sights used to come with a eyecup. It was a convenient way to get the proper eye-to-rear sight distance

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:19 pm 

I've been shooting double apertures in competition since about 1973. With
practice, they are almost as accurate as a high powdered scope, but not
quite.
When shooting steel targets of varying shapes, I still use the rear, tang-
mounted aperture on my .45 1-9/10's Sharps, but use a post in the front
hooded globe.
The post is sighted exactly the same as an aperture, with the bullet hitting
on the top surface at each range to 750 meters. That's the longest shot
at Rendezvous. I set my range finder on meters as that matches my sight settings.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:21 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
Holy crap. Sorry about my picture. As Daryl mentioned three rings of light for sure and thank you for clarifying. Embarrassing on my part.

We could all use more practice.

LOL- I initially thought, you're right jckstrthmghty. Then, no, I'm confused. So I got out my apertures and checked the sight picture.