Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:37 pm 

Perhaps I'm not searching correctly, but I am trying to find a bi pod for a Diana 24c break barrel

Any suggestions?
Tks
T.A.G.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:45 pm 

One word, "Don't".
Although some people put bipods on springers, they tend to suck.
A freely supported fore end, like the so called "artillery hold" or rested on your open palm works best for springers.
A bipod will cause the muzzle to jump unpredictability and inconsistently, adversely affecting accuracy.

But bipod does look cool, so if you're after the cool factor then there are some alternatives. The barrel mounted bipods are not so good on break barrels because they get in the way of cocking motion. So you may end up screwing a weaver adapter to the underside of the stock, and mounting a bipod to it.

HIH, :drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:06 pm 

I put a bipod on my FWB300 side lever springer..... However the sledge recoiless system separated the action, barrel, scope etc upper half from the stock, trigger, bipod etc lower half.... :PImage

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:11 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
One word, "Don't".
A freely supported fore end, like the so called "artillery hold" or rested on your open palm works best for springers.
A bipod will cause the muzzle to jump unpredictability and inconsistently, adversely affecting accuracy.

But bipod does look cool, so if you're after the cool factor then there are some alternatives. The barrel mounted bipods are not so good on break barrels because they get in the way of cocking motion. So you may end up screwing a weaver adapter to the underside of the stock, and mounting a bipod to it.

No I'm not after the cool factor, Im just after stability :)
I found this article based on your comment about the artillery hold, so thanks for that.

https://www.airgundepot.com/vault/artic ... -straight/

The Diana 24C is really my first rifle... something tells me I'll upgrade in a year or so

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:57 pm 

YepYep wrote:
I put a bipod on my FWB300 side lever springer..... However the sledge recoiless system separated the action, barrel, scope etc upper half from the stock, trigger, bipod etc lower half.... :PImage

Those are more to keep the gun upright, vs laying them on it side. So you can pick them up easier. Not really meant for shooting off of.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:35 am 

Tail Air Gunner wrote:
Dukemeister wrote:
One word, "Don't".

I found this article based on your comment about the artillery hold, so thanks for that.

The Diana 24C is really my first rifle... something tells me I'll upgrade in a year or so

In terms of springers you don't really "upgrade" from the 24C. You can get more powerful but more accurate will be hard to find in a springer.
You can buy vintage olympic springers that will be more accurate or an underlever but you won't get that much better.

You can get a multi-pump or a PCP for more accuracy.

And PCP will benefit from a bipod much more than a springer which might actually worsen with a bipod.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:18 pm 

Not sure where the original article is but using a rest made out of a paint roller allows for a springer to act naturally through the shot cycle which promotes more consistency. I was able to throw one together with scrap plywood and a small paint roller. I don't shoot off the bench much but it did seems to make a difference even with a tx200 which is known for not being hold sensitive. I suppose I should clean it up but once again I rarely shoot off the bench.

Attachments:
IMG_2976.JPG
IMG_2976.JPG [ 108.1 KiB | Viewed 1171 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:00 pm 

YepYep wrote:

Back in the 70's, I used a little bipod like that for supporting my match rifle when I wasn't shooting it, just as leadslinger noted in his post.
It clipped into the hand-stop rail under the forend.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:04 pm 

DocGadget wrote:
Tail Air Gunner wrote:
Dukemeister wrote:
One word, "Don't".

In terms of springer's you don't really "upgrade" from the 24C. You can get more powerful but more accurate will be hard to find in a springer.
You can buy vintage Olympic springers that will be more accurate or an underlever but you won't get that much better.

You can get a multi-pump or a PCP for more accuracy.

And PCP will benefit from a bipod much more than a springer which might actually worsen with a bipod.

Hey Doc
Tks for the extra info, I can't really find much history on the Diana 24C, so I must assume its a fairly decent quality rifle.
I only got it a few days ago from a forum member and thanks to forum member "Airmec", put on a springer rated scope on it yesterday.
I got a crony in the mail , so I was going to test it out today, but the wind is CRAZY here.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:05 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
Not sure where the original article is but using a rest made out of a paint roller allows for a springer to act naturally through the shot cycle which promotes more consistency. I was able to throw one together with scrap plywood and a small paint roller. I don't shoot off the bench much but it did seems to make a difference even with a tx200 which is known for not being hold sensitive. I suppose I should clean it up but once again I rarely shoot off the bench.

Great I idea, i have all those parts in my garage..excellent, project for the day

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:34 pm 

Daryl wrote:
YepYep wrote:

Back in the 70's, I used a little bipod like that for supporting my match rifle when I wasn't shooting it, just as leadslinger noted in his post.

Mine on the FWB is a real shooting bipod and I do use it on rested shooting on the table. The height just prefect...

From the same manufacture, Gehmann, it does provide another 'rest' bipod which much thinner and not as robust... ImageImage

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:50 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Daryl wrote:
YepYep wrote:
I put a bipod on my FWB300 side lever springer..... However the sledge recoiless system separated the action, barrel, scope etc upper half from the stock, trigger, bipod etc lower half.... :P

Mine on the FWB is a real shooting bipod and I do use it on rested shooting on the table. The height just prefect...

From the same manufacture, Gehmann, it does provide another 'rest' bipod which much thinner and not as robust... ]

I don't think there is bench shooting in ISSF. These bipod are merely to rest up the rifle.

One of the new ISSF rules.

Quote:
Rifle Bipods. Rifle bipods may not remain on rifles during firing times.

Tesro

Quote:
he BI-POD ensures a safe standing of the weapon when prone shooting.

Nordic Marksman

Quote:
Push the button and the feet will simply retract. The bipod does not have to be de-mounted from the gun during competition (conforms to ISSF rules). Safe deposition of the rifle before, during and after competition.

So ISSF rule for bipod. Tells me that bipods, are not used to support the gun while shooting. Just merely stand it up.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:11 pm 

Something tells me YepYep isn't competing in ISSF rifle competitions - maybe it's the big scope mounted on that beautiful FWB300... - so I doubt the ISSF rules concern him too much.

My 602 came with a bipod too. I never tried shooting from it myself and I assumed it was there as a means of holding the rifle upright when it was put down. I never even installed it for that matter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:54 pm 

Yep~ you are right, I am not a competitor and have no experience about any match at all~ I don't even know those short forms before googling it~ learning new knowledge everyday~

Just finding that bipod (not the gun rest according to the manufacture) works well for my case...

~Target~

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:44 am 

YepYep wrote:
Yep~ you are right, I am not a competitor and have no experience about any match at all~ I don't even know those short forms before googling it~ learning new knowledge everyday~

Just finding that bipod (not the gun rest according to the manufacture) works well for my case...

Well they're not recommended to be used as what you consider a bipod. Someone could be reading this, and see that since you are using it as a shooting bipod, that he will also use it as one, not knowing. Because if those legs fold when you are leaning into it. It could be a bad day.