Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: heavy springer HW80 .22
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:28 am 

Been trying to learn to shoot my HW80 .22 PAL rated.
Until now I've only shot 3 types of pellet.

-JSB Hades .22cal, 15.89gr hollow point
-JSB Match Diabolo Exact .22cal, 15.89gr
-JSB Diabolo Exact Jumbo Heavy .22cal, 18.13gr

From reading and discussions, I think my best move is to get a chronograph to calculate ft/lb and see if it should be tuned down to calm it a bit (big recoil) ?

Q1 - as my first chronograph, what are thoughts on "Fx Radar Pocket Wireless Chronograph – with Barrel Bracket" ? Works well ? Straps easy to end of barrel ? (I like idea of strapped to end of barrel and not setup outside on tripod, seems easier less space needed) Worth the $240 ?

Q2 - I'm thinking of trying new pellets to see if my rifle likes them better. The following are what I was considering, any comments ? Good list or change ?
-H&N barracuda hunter extreme 18.52gr.
-H&N barracuda hunter (18.21gr.)
-H&N Field Target Trophy 14.66gr 5.53
-H&N Sniper Magnum .22 cal 17.9gr

Thanks !

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:14 pm 

Those appear to be good viable pellet choices, Jorg.
Another that appears to work well in my HA97 .22 is the
H&N Baracuda Hunter HP - at 18.71gr., the H&N Baracuda Match, at 21.30gr.
& the JSX Exact Jumbo Express Diabolo 14.35gr. along with the Baracuda Hunter Extreme
which you have noted, 19.09gr.

Both of the JSB Predators (standard and short version) work well, too, at 16gr.
3 of them, the Predators, Bar. Hunter Extreme @ 19.09gr. and Match at 21.3gr. worked
really well in the HW98 in .22, however I sold that rifle to a friend who needed it for his
yard crows. along with it's best, the Hades 15.89gr. pellets.

Now, there is another heavy H&H pellet that might work, and that's the Rabbit Magnum 11.
It weighs 27.01gr. and that might be too heavy for the springer, though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:12 pm 

Q-1: This is a great chrono by all reports posted here and beyond. Buy one if you can find one.

Q-2: Not an owner, but have a couple of friends who own them. They say these rifles shoot best 700-750, which is accomplished with 17g+ pellets. Unfortunately, you did not report your results with the three you tried. So, I'm guessing when I say the two heavier pellets probably performed better. Daryl's post suggests a few options in the 18gr. range, so I'd say, with my second-hand knowledge, that you should try some of those as opposed to lighter pellets. Measure your preferences on accuracy PLUS smoothness of cycle.

Having said that, there are lots of dedicated, experienced HW80/breakbarrel owners out there who can jump in with more than second-hand info.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:03 pm 

Stick to pellets between 15 and 18 grain for best results. Get a couple tins of pellets through the rifle and things will smooth out. Same goes for the trigger on these, the more you shoot the better they get. I’ve got one in 177 and it’s a pleasure to shoot even at 20fpe. The German rifles seem to like German pellets , H&N FTT are usually a safe bet.