Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:21 am 

Hello,

I have been doing my best to be informed about air guns, and associated gear and am hoping to partake in the forum discussion to help me make the best gear purchases and use of the equipment for fun, ethical, hunting.

I currently own the Benjamin .22 and Stoeger A30 .177 break barrel rifles, both from Canadian tire. I have been out hunting once, successfully, with the Stoeger and really want to get more into the hobby. Hunting wise my main target is grouse, as I also aim to use the feathers for fly-tying, another hobby. I am limited, for now, without having my PAL but aim to get the next course I can and purchase a more powerful rifle.

I have been looking at getting a Gamo swarm .22 (in fusion, normal or magnum) ideally with the gen 2 loader. I have also been looking at upgrading my Crosman scope although I am not sure what with. A lot of the information I find shows really great rifles and then when I try to price them out I cant find them sourced in Canada, Ideally in Ontario as I live near the GTA.

I would really appreciate tips on what rifles, and optics to get more locally sourced if possible.

As a side note for people in halton region, where do you go practice shooting, and good crown land areas or ranges?

Kind Regards,
Edgar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:24 pm 

Welcome to the forum, Edgar.
Since you already have a couple lower priced springers, I would suggest saving for a higher quality springer air rifle, like AirArmsTX200 or Weihrauch's M97 for
a P.A.L. air rifle. You will not be sorry you went this route.
Weihrauch has a number of higher powered air rifles ranging in price from just over $400.00 to $900.00.
The TX200's run from about $700.0 to $925.00.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:45 pm 

1st. Welcome
2nd. Is it legal to hunt small games with non-pal airgun? I know in Qc they set a minimum velocityabove 500fps :?:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:22 pm 

Thanks for the welcome, sorry for not replying earlier. The 2021 Hunting regulations relevant sections for hunting small game in Ontario states:

Firearms include:
rifles
shotguns
muzzle-loading guns
air or pellet guns
bows (including longbows, crossbows, compound bows and recurve bows)

You may use semi-automatic or repeating firearms for hunting in Ontario, but not restricted or prohibited firearms (e.g. fully automatic firearms). Air and pellet guns are not permitted for hunting big game, but may be used for hunting small game.

Hunting carelessly is an offence. Hunters who handle or discharge firearms without due care and attention or consideration for persons and property are liable to a fine of up to $25,000 or imprisonment for up to two years - or both. Depending on the circumstances, a person may also be subject to charges under the Criminal Code of Canada.

There is no reference to the velocity, as such hunting for grouse, or squirrel with a air gun under 500 FPS is legal. As you get bigger than that into rabbit, or larger the takedown power may start to be limited and effective range is extremely small or not there. As such I interpret the hunting careless clause to kick in as you would hurt the animal but not ensure a kill shot.

I have opted to get a PP750 for my first PCP and for grouse it is amazing. Accuracy up to 25 m is very reliable and I only aim for head shots which means i either miss or get a neck shot which is still a suitable shot. I haven't got many, but that's more due to learning curve on finding them and lining up good shots, but shots taken have been extremely effective.

My setup is PP750 with Discovery Optics 1-6 ED scope. A custom wood stock I was generously gifted. I have ordered some extra mags and a dovetail mount to replace the rear sight. Current setup in picture requires me to lean my head in a bit too much. Hopefully putting the scope back makes for faster acquisition.

Attachments:
PP750.jpg
PP750.jpg [ 734.98 KiB | Viewed 1829 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:01 pm 

mexicanoloco wrote:
Thanks for the welcome, sorry for not replying earlier. The 2021 Hunting regulations relevant sections for hunting small game in Ontario states:

Firearms include:
rifles
shotguns
muzzle-loading guns
air or pellet guns

You may use semi-automatic or repeating firearms for hunting in Ontario, but not restricted or prohibited firearms (e.g. fully automatic firearms). Air and pellet guns are not permitted for hunting big game, but may be used for hunting small game.

Hunting carelessly is an offence. Hunters who handle or discharge firearms without due care and attention or consideration for persons and property are liable to a fine of up to $25,000 or imprisonment for up to two years - or both. Depending on the circumstances, a person may also be subject to charges under the Criminal Code of Canada.

There is no reference to the velocity, as such hunting for grouse, or squirrel with a air gun under 500 FPS is legal. As you get bigger than that into rabbit, or larger the takedown power may start to be limited and effective range is extremely small or not there. As such I interpret the hunting careless clause to kick in as you would hurt the animal but not ensure a kill shot.

I have opted to get a PP750 for my first PCP and for grouse it is amazing. Accuracy up to 25 m is very reliable and I only aim for head shots which means i either miss or get a neck shot which is still a suitable shot. I haven't got many, but that's more due to learning curve on finding them and lining up good shots, but shots taken have been extremely effective.

My setup is PP750 with Discovery Optics 1-6 ED scope. A custom wood stock I was generously gifted. I have ordered some extra mags and a dovetail mount to replace the rear sight. Current setup in picture requires me to lean my head in a bit too much. Hopefully putting the scope back makes for faster acquisition.

Welcome to the forum . Nice stock .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:07 am 

That's a really nice pellet gun.

PCP is a big jump up, expense-wise. Have you been using a hand pump?

You might want a picatinny extender, something like this:

"Liongears" makes a variety of these, with different lengths and heights.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:24 am 

Yes almost all Ontario regions regard air rifle as fire arm, even sub 500fps... And ridiculously even airsoft guns below 200fps and BB guns like red ryder which can kill some little size birds.
So get CFSC certificate, even if you don't want to get a PAL and not planning to purchase PAL gun and you have to find some crown land allowing recreational shooting (places such as beverly swamp) or some farm land and get permission from owner to do practice, or pay 400+/year to get into a gun range.
Shooting is fun but also little costly. More important than cost, keep yourself out of troubles.

Finally get my PAL after 1 year waiting

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:55 pm 

mexicanoloco wrote:

Firearms include:
rifles
shotguns
muzzle-loading guns
air or pellet guns

I saw quite a lot rabbit hunting with sling shot, range as 10-15 yards--they either miss or So I guess a 495fps .22 should be able to do the job within 25 yards, as long as you do proper practice and hit head/chest area. I got a rabbit target with lethal hit position marked --as said the shot placement is much important than the power, a .22LR round can kill black bear or even elephant if you hit the right spot-- and I will try do some hunting this fall after I can land all shots to that area, with stand and no extra support.

Finally get my PAL after 1 year waiting