Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:34 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

I was looking everywhere for the Ballistol in non - aerosol. Can't find it anywhere. I'd really appreciate if you know a place that has them in stock and can let me know.

Air Arms HFT 500
FX Streamline laminate .22
Benjamin Discovery .22 (tuned)
Weihrauch HW30S .177
Weihrauch HW30 MK1 .177
Weihrauch HW40
Beeman P17
Crosman 22xx carbine (tuned)
Princess Auto Super Springer Deluxe ($34.99)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:40 pm 

Wes sells it.. But not in stock...He may know were to get some..

https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/ballistol-l ... sol-16-oz/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:55 pm 

For some weird reason I seem to remember that some sewing stores sell it for maintenance of the machines.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:34 am 

I get mine here. Physical store in east end Toronto. I think they ship as well.

https://www.sewknit.ca/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:43 am 

Ballistol is pretty much the same as cutting fluid... can usually be had for cheaper.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:26 am 

I bought it from www.ballistol.ca a year ago

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:20 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Thanks for all of the replies. It seems that ballistol.ca is the only place that has them in stock from what I can see... Strange. I thought Ballistol is a common item.

Air Arms HFT 500
FX Streamline laminate .22
Benjamin Discovery .22 (tuned)
Weihrauch HW30S .177
Weihrauch HW30 MK1 .177
Weihrauch HW40
Beeman P17
Crosman 22xx carbine (tuned)
Princess Auto Super Springer Deluxe ($34.99)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:32 pm 

I've only heard of Ballistol since about 4 years ago. It was touted as a good oil for guns.
My bro and a friend tried it on their muzzleloaders and both guns rusted on the outside as well as inside the bores.
The humidity was rather high. Since Ballistol mixes with water, (water soluble oil) it will absorb moisture from the
air. That is not good. What use it has in the air gun industry, I do not know, but it is used in machining with water
based cooling. Some guys use it mixed with water as a patch lube for target shooting with their muzzle loaders.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:23 am 

First time I've heard that, Daryl. During the early years of my return to airgunning, Ballistol was touted as THE general interior/exterior lube/protectant to use on airguns. I've used it generally since then as a final wipe-down before putting an airgun away for a while, and fortunately (it seems), I haven't experienced any negative results yet. (I'd better check those rifles/handguns I haven't used for 15 years. ;-)

Seriously, though, is this a recent discovery? I must admit. I've been out of touch for a while.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:19 pm 

Sorry for the lack of stock. Got some aresol and non aerosol coming soon.

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:23 pm 

Taylor (my bro) was given some ballistol in a container by the guide and outfitter he was guiding for. He cleaned his rifle as normal, oiled it, then hung it up like normal in his 'lodge' (wall-tent)
from hangers from the ridge pole.
The outside of the barrel was spot-rusty in the morning, as-was the bore. Taylor thought maybe the ballistol he had might have been contaminated. It is, after all, soluble in/with water.
The other incident was a local buddy, who bought a brand new can of it at rendezvous, and used it as preservative overnight after cleaning his rifle that day. His rifle was stored in the
back of his truck, with canopy, laying on a wool blanket. The canopy didn't leak, however it did rain overnight. In the morning the outside of the barrel was spotty rusty. He ran a clean
patch down the bore and it came out with red rust on it.
I have not used it, however guys on the muzzleloading forum I frequent use it both as a after cleaning oil, and mixed with water as a patch lube. How much actual shooting they do, I do
not know. They seem cautious about entering the monthly postal matches set up on the muzzleloading forum I frequent, wherein a Canadian has won it every month since the matches
started in March.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:38 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Taylor (my bro) was given some ballistol in a container by the guide and outfitter he was guiding for. He cleaned his rifle as normal, oiled it, then hung it up like normal in his 'lodge' (wall-tent)
from hangers from the ridge pole.
The outside of the barrel was spot-rusty in the morning, as-was the bore. Taylor thought maybe the ballistol he had might have been contaminated. It is, after all, soluble in/with water.
The other incident was a local buddy, who bought a brand new can of it at rendezvous, and used it as preservative overnight after cleaning his rifle that day. His rifle was stored in the
back of his truck, with canopy, laying on a wool blanket. The canopy didn't leak, however it did rain overnight. In the morning the outside of the barrel was spotty rusty. He ran a clean
patch down the bore and it came out with red rust on it.
I have not used it, however guys on the muzzleloading forum I frequent use it both as a after cleaning oil, and mixed with water as a patch lube. How much actual shooting they do, I do
not know. They seem cautious about entering the monthly postal matches set up on the muzzleloading forum I frequent, wherein a Canadian has won it every month since the matches
started in March.

I seen tests, that WD40 is better, than ballistol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3C5q-T ... =357magdad

I had a bad experience with it. I had a K98 that I pulled thru and soaked a patch with ballistol. Few months later I went to inspect it, nasty pitted section in the barrel, that caused me to have to rebarrel the gun.

Break Free CLP is the best..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:15 pm 

leadslinger wrote:

I had a bad experience with it. I had a K98 that I pulled thru and soaked a patch with ballistol. Few months later I went to inspect it, nasty pitted section in the barrel, that caused me to have to rebarrel the gun.

I agree that it protects a lot better, but I wouldn't use Break Free CLP on airguns, it gets everywhere and I'm afraid it can damage seals. I'm not sure if Ballistol is completely safe on seals, but I think Ballistol is better for airguns than Break Free CLP. By the way hickok45 uses Ballistol for all his guns for many years and swear by it : ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7mTtKJV5wo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:31 pm 

scanny wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

I agree that it protects a lot better, but I wouldn't use Break Free CLP on airguns, it gets everywhere and I'm afraid it can damage seals. I'm not sure if Ballistol is completely safe on seals, but I think Ballistol is better for airguns than Break Free CLP. By the way hickok45 uses Ballistol for all his guns for many years and swear by it : ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7mTtKJV5wo

Well no matter the type of lubricate, it will get everywhere. Metal naturally sweats, and the oil will run. CLP shouldn't effect modern seals. Considering your standard tube of pelletgun oil is regular old petroleum engine oil.

Quote:
O rings are made of several products. If a petroleum product is used on a standard O ring, it will bloat and disintegrate. One would need Buna-N (nitrile) O ring for petroleum based lubricants. As Break-Free is a synthetic non-petroleum based liquid, it does not break down standard O rings.

I'm pretty sure everybody uses Buna-N o rings now.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:25 pm 

seems we have 3 examples of ballistol being bad and one being good, personally i like the real world experience, years ago i asked a question about protecting bluing on an airgun with Hoppes #9 and the fear of god was put in me, apparently it was going to seep in the rifle and ruin the seals, well its been 7 years and that has yet to happen to any of the rifles i have, after all it not like you're going to apply it with a mop or dip the entire rifle in the stuff...

i put a bit on a rag to wipe down the rifle after each use, still no rust or deteriorated seals, bluing still looks new, if any if the claims had been true it would have happened by now

i would not use liquid anything inside a compression chamber, moly is the way to go, you sparingly grease it in strategic points and forget it

Co2 is easy with pellgun oil on the cart unless stated otherwise by the manufacturer

my experience :wink: