Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: Looking for advice!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:54 pm 

Lots of very nice used airguns for sale perhaps it might be worth a look could save some cash ......

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:37 am 

YepYep wrote:
Looks a little 'far away' from your budget, but it's not that hard to save up the money....

I recommend a HW80 which will be suit your purpose well. It's in 700$ range after tax for new but this work horse should give you an issue free long lasting shooting fun and done the job well for you.

And try your luck to find an used one will save you a lot~

And air guns are no doubt much cheaper to shoot than the powder burners. Less maintenance, much cheaper ammo cost (pellet vs bullets)...

Depends on the Powder Burner. Comparing the power level to an airgun. I would say 22 LR ( Powder Burner ) is probably cheaper than shooting airguns. Unless you shoot a 40$ PA special chinese b3 airgun, and the cheapest pellets you can get. But when you are talking about 700$ + airguns, you're normally shooting higher end 20-25$+ tins of pellets. maintenance for airguns is more then firearms, since special lubrications is needed, and seals needed to be changed. I clean and lube my guns with whatever I got lying around, and only when it is needed. I have firearms with the same parts as it did from the factory 50-100 years ago. I got PB that I paid under 100$ and with the cheapest brick of 22LR - 24.99, I'm able to shoot it more accurately than my piston airguns. It's also 3lbs, vs 9lbs.

Then you get into Co2, and PCP there is extra costs.

I like shooting airguns because they can be relatively quiet in my backyard. But if I had no neighbours, I'd be shooting 22LR.

That just my opinion. From someone that shoots both. Airguns are not cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:55 am 

leadslinger wrote:
I like shooting airguns because they can be relatively quiet in my backyard. But if I had no neighbours, I'd be shooting 22LR.

22LR does have a major drawback. It's a dirty ammo. I clean after every session rifle or pistol and I don't think that is too much.

leadslinger wrote:
Airguns are not cheap.

No, no they are not.

If I was going to spend $700 I'd buy a TX200 and I'm sure Daryl would recommend a HW 97. Both are excellent. At that price point you could get a pcp and a hand pump. If value is what you are after then for sure used is the way to go. If you are satisfied with tooney sized groups @ 40' then there are a lot of options in your price range. Really I think you could do significantly better accuracy wise with most options. Before you drop your hard earned cash watch some video's and read some reviews. Keep an eye out on the classifieds.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:46 am 

For a budget springer with decent power , here’s what I’d be having a serious look at the Diana 34 clone.
https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/xisico-xs25 ... le-22-177/

For that kind of money you can add a decent scope and still come under the 250$

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:23 am 

Shooting air guns is still cheaper at my side, maybe I didn't shoot too much? As I am still using the pellets which I bought some time ago. (I know the price on pellets jumped a lot recently too).

Like the RWS R10 for my HW30/40 and HW70 which I bought at price of 15$ something tax included, and the Daisy flat head for the FWB was 7 or 8$ a tin of 500 shots same tax included. Never bought any pellet over 20$ a tin. Even my .22 JSB RS from forum store was just 12.95$ for 500 counts...

As I didn't join any club or range, so I have no condition to shoot powder burners (yet), I don't know how much for 500 shots for the cheapest.22LR ammo... As I talked about it with my workmate before, it's about 10 times the money on buying bullets than pellets... He doesn't shoot. 22lr tho...

And I know looks my rifles if buying new costs more (about double) than a. 22lr rifle, I put it as a one time for a life investment as they just issue free and almost maintenance free due to their high quality... I don't need to clean the bore after each session, and if not included the tinkering I did, I only need to clean the barrel maybe once a year?! And that's all. Seals.... I did replaced some in the past years, but they costs nothing as I bought 20 seals for a dollar from China. And when I removed the old one, and found they were actually can still last for some extra time...

However I would use a good cloth to clean the cheek piece, grips etc or the whole gun if I got time after shooting it... But don't think that's a job, just like patting your cat which actually peace my mind....

HW45 with customized grips from UK
Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine
Camo Chaser long barrel carbine
PP700SA long barrel carbine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:30 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
If I was going to spend $700 I'd buy a TX200 and I'm sure Daryl would recommend a HW 97. Both are excellent.

At that price point you could get a pcp and a hand pump. If value is what you are after then for sure used is the way to go. If you are satisfied with tooney sized groups @ 40' then there are a lot of options in your price range. Really I think you could do significantly better accuracy wise with most options. Before you drop your hard earned cash watch some video's and read some reviews. Keep an eye out on the classifieds.

The price of the guns jumped up a lot after the covid and new shipments arrived... $700 is impossible for a TX or a 97 anyone... And buying new with tax, don't think you can get those top end air rifles under 1k...

And OP has some job for the rifle to do. So I think he would need some extra power more than an 1mm less CTC groups and the cheaper price would be a bonus... If no budget limits, a tx200 HC (beech stock [emoji38]) would be prefect fit the requirement~

HW45 with customized grips from UK
Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine
Camo Chaser long barrel carbine
PP700SA long barrel carbine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:26 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Shooting air guns is still cheaper at my side, maybe I didn't shoot too much? As I am still using the pellets which I bought some time ago. (I know the price on pellets jumped a lot recently too).

Like the RWS R10 for my HW30/40 and HW70 which I bought at price of 15$ something tax included, and the Daisy flat head for the FWB was 7 or 8$ a tin of 500 shots same tax included. Never bought any pellet over 20$ a tin. Even my .22 JSB RS from forum store was just 12.95$ for 500 counts...

As I didn't join any club or range, so I have no condition to shoot powder burners (yet), I don't know how much for 500 shots for the cheapest.22LR ammo... As I talked about it with my workmate before, it's about 10 times the money on buying bullets than pellets... He doesn't shoot. 22lr tho...

And I know looks my rifles if buying new costs more (about double) than a. 22lr rifle, I put it as a one time for a life investment as they just issue free and almost maintenance free due to their high quality... I don't need to clean the bore after each session, and if not included the tinkering I did, I only need to clean the barrel maybe once a year?! And that's all. Seals.... I did replaced some in the past years, but they costs nothing as I bought 20 seals for a dollar from China. And when I removed the old one, and found they were actually can still last for some extra time...

However I would use a good cloth to clean the cheek piece, grips etc or the whole gun if I got time after shooting it... But don't think that's a job, just like patting your cat which actually peace my mind....

I wouldn't say 10X. But It also depends on the caliber you shoot. But I've seen tins of Pellets on AGS for $22-25 + per 500.

FYI Firearms you don't need to clean the bores after each session. Only if you run black powder or corrosive ammo. Only maintenance I do after each session, is wipe it down with oil, because your oils in your hand, or moisture from your breath, can cause the guns to rust. But that a habit I do with airguns. I only clean my guns when it starts giving me issues, even my competition pistol. Fact is Airguns, can be just as expensive as firearms.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:27 pm 

I in no way see how Powder burners are cheaper to shoot than airguns way to many variables ....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:37 pm 

I think you mean 'variables', unless I have no idea what you're talking about. And ya, shooting high quality airguns costs more than shooting low quality firearms. You can get an old Cooey and a couple boxes of 22 for about $100. Show me a hard hitting airgun in .22 with ammo for $100 and I'll order her up!

lauchlin wrote:
I in no way see how Powder burners are cheaper to shoot than airguns way to many variables ....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:37 pm 

CaperJim wrote:
I think you mean 'variables', unless I have no idea what you're talking about. And ya, shooting high quality airguns costs more than shooting low quality firearms. You can get an old Cooey and a couple boxes of 22 for about $100. Show me a hard hitting airgun in .22 with ammo for $100 and I'll order her up!

Quote:
Shooting high quality airguns costs more than shooting low quality firearms

Ya you are correct ..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:45 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

22LR does have a major drawback. It's a dirty ammo. I clean after every session rifle or pistol and I don't think that is too much.

I do.
I haven't cleaned my .22 LR's in years. They do not need it unless they get wet and that's only in rain or snow.
If accuracy drops off, I have cleaned them but not until. Most times, if accuracy drops off, it is due to the bore
picking up a bit of lead. Keep shooting it and it will shoot out and accuracy will be back to normal. The semi-autos
need cleaning in the action from powder fouling residue, especially the Ruger 10/22, however the BRNO semi has a diff.
system and doesn't seem to "plug up" like the Ruger, however the bores usually don't need any cleaning.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:48 pm 

CaperJim wrote:

lauchlin wrote:

Lauchlin there are too many variables with airguns as well. Esp when you start getting into the PCPs, Carbon Fiber Tanks, Compressors. I know when I had my Kral, my shoebox ( you needed a low pressure compressor as well ) and the SCBA tank, it added up.

Cooeys may be low quality, but they are wolfs in sheep clothing. I have no problem putting 5 shots in less than 1/2" at 25m with bulk 22.. Where I wont see less than 1.25 with my Crosman Break barrel.

Also forgot, that can shoot accurately.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:23 pm 

Here's the BRNO - nice rifle and loves Browning 40gr. 1,445fps HP's.
I paid $450.00 for this rifle at a gun show. That's 1/2 the cost of one
of my HW97's, leaving $450.00 for ammo just to come up to the cost
of the air rifle, both non scoped. Oh yeah - got 2, 10 shot magazines
& scope base/rings with it.
oops - forgot the Marlin, oh well, it's not a .22 and being an .17 HMR,
is expensive to shoot.
sry about the PB post.
I couldn't find the delete box.

Attachments:
IMG_2932.JPG
IMG_2932.JPG [ 686.85 KiB | Viewed 40 times ]
IMG_2931.JPG
IMG_2931.JPG [ 684.89 KiB | Viewed 40 times ]

Last edited by Daryl on Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:33 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Here's the BRNO - nice rifle and loves Browning 40gr. 1,445fps HP's.
I paid $450.00 for this rifle at a gun show. That's 1/2 the cost of one
of my HW97's, leaving $450.00 for ammo just to come up to the cost
of the air rifle, both non scoped. Oh yeah - got 2, 10 shot magazines
& scope base/rings with it.
oops - forgot the Marlin, oh well, it's not a .22 and being an .17 HMR,
is expensive to shoot.

Nice and now back to just airguns

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:01 pm 

Ok. So I tore into my Phantom .22 after reading all the great advice. This is what I have found. My Piston is 5-3/4 inch long and has the bleeder port. I have already use some clear JB
Weld on top and bottom of the bleeder hole.

My Spring is about 9 inches long and I counted 34 coils if I counted properly. I am looking for advice as to how to make this a good tack driver till I can save up enough to buy a good air rifle. I have firearms and allot of .22 powder burners, but have recently enjoyed catching small game with the air rifle. I just wish it was more effective at a further range. Where do I go from here?

When I put it back together, I will have some shims in the spring to try it out for now. But I would prefer to change the spring for the full strength one. I would be happy to get it shooting around the 800 FPS or a little higher if possible.
Attachment:
34200296-F760-4A56-8182-1AAE69A6B802.jpeg
34200296-F760-4A56-8182-1AAE69A6B802.jpeg [ 69.47 KiB | Viewed 21 times ]
Attachment:
661A91F7-C2EE-4908-BE5F-B86CC31A8A93.jpeg
661A91F7-C2EE-4908-BE5F-B86CC31A8A93.jpeg [ 62.39 KiB | Viewed 21 times ]
Attachment:
DA8D17CF-8F65-4ECB-B36D-C5C911E2DF80.jpeg
DA8D17CF-8F65-4ECB-B36D-C5C911E2DF80.jpeg [ 83.58 KiB | Viewed 21 times ]