Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Looking for advice!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:48 pm 

I am new to the Air Rifle scene. I am currently using an old Crosman Phantom .22 that shoots 495FPS. I have been dispatching some of the smaller backyard pest with it so far.

Yes I have my hunting permits and Valid PAL/R-PAL.

I am looking to buy something a bit higher power to do the job as my shot drops about 4 to 6 inches at he 50 to 60 feet mark and just doesn't seem to do well when reaching out like that.

What would be a nice set up that is budget friendly that someone would recommend? I have looked at the Gamo Varmint that is rated to hit the 1250FPS level in the .177 available at Cabelas for about the $169 mark. Any info would be appreciated as I seem to be spending allot of time out in the backyard and feel that the new setup willse allot of rounds through it.

I look forward to hearing from you!!

Post subject: Re: Looking for advice!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:54 pm 

Tuned to around 12-14 fpe Phantom can be a formidable backyard pesting rifle.
You might want to add a scope and repower your Phantom.
Since it's old, probably a new piston seal, breach seal, and spring will fix it up for you.
Of course, for a bit more $ you can start a collection...but that's a slippery slope akin to eating one potato chip. You have been warned.

Oh, when you cock the Phantom if the barrel only goes near 90 degrees to the action yours has been detuned with a long piston. To increase the power you'll need to get a short "full power" piston. The early Phantoms used a long piston to detune them, makes for a smooth, low recoil non-PAL rifle but poses challenges for increasing power; They can be cut and shortened, but it would be easiest jut to get a short piston, or a new PAL rifle.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:17 pm 

Attachment:
WIN_20201116_19_12_04_Pro.jpg
WIN_20201116_19_12_04_Pro.jpg [ 159.11 KiB | Viewed 937 times ]
Thanks Dukemeister,

I would be interested in reviving the Phantom. I have been in contact with Crosman Canada to see about getting parts, but I must admit they haven't been much help. That is why I have looked at buying another piece for the collection! LOL!! For some reason they keep sending me the parts diagram for the Nitro Piston model when I have a Spring Piston. It say CS5M22 on the side of the barrel were it hinges.

As for the cocking of the gun, the gun barrel goes beyond the 90 degree mark. I have added a photo and apologize for the bad lighting. Anything you could recommend to get it up to full power and if you have access to part numbers or were to find them, It would be very much appreciated!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:30 pm 

Well you have a short piston in there. If your rifle is a non-PAL then it may have a bleed hole in the piston head and a weak spring. You need a full power spring, and a new piston seal, get a breach seal at the same time. How accurate is the rifle currently - if it wont group pellets in current condition, you may want to leave it as is and get a good rifle. If its a good shooter, spring and seals is what you need. If there is a hole in the piston, you can try plugging it with a setscrew - use the existing seal and spring and see how it goes. There is no real way to tell its power without a chrony.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:38 pm 

I don't have a photo of the target. But from approximately 40ft, the group was as tight as a toonie. Then I could go to the 4 smaller targets in the corners of the sheet and put 2 each in the bullseye. of coarse with the odd flyer.

I have more issues with the 4x32 scope holding zero than anything. After a few shots and a minor adjustment, I am good to go for another session.

When I run the model number CS5M22 on the net, it tells me that it is the 495FPS model for Canada. I haven't taken it apart yet to look at the piston to see if there is a bleed hole or not. Thought I might wait till i can get info on part number for a new spring and seals first and do it all at the same time.

On another note, what would be a good recommendation for a new rifle if I decide to go that route?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:49 pm 

mwarden62009 wrote:

On another note, what would be a good recommendation for a new rifle if I decide to go that route?

Give as many details of what, where, when, and how you want to shoot... and your budget. Lots of people will have advice for you.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:57 pm 

Sorry,

I own wooded lot about 4 acres in size. I am looking to handle a varmint problem (of coarse when in season). But mostly squirrel s and racoons as they keep destroying my screen on my screen porch!! Possibly for small game as well such as partridge and rabbits as I am assuming the air rifle would be cheaper to shoot.

As for budget, around the $200 to $250 mark is what I can afford right now. That is why I had looked at the Gamo Varmint at Cabelas for I believe it was $169. But the reviews are mixed about it and don't want to buy something I may regret when I can spend a little extra and be good from the start.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:26 pm 

mwarden62009 wrote:
Sorry,

I own wooded lot about 4 acres in size. I am looking to handle a varmint problem (of coarse when in season). But mostly squirrel s and racoons as they keep destroying my screen on my screen porch!! Possibly for small game as well such as partridge and rabbits as I am assuming the air rifle would be cheaper to shoot.

As for budget, around the $200 to $250 mark is what I can afford right now. That is why I had looked at the Gamo Varmint at Cabelas for I believe it was $169. But the reviews are mixed about it and don't want to buy something I may regret when I can spend a little extra and be good from the start.

Save up, because honestly with that limit, you're still in the Crosman/Gamo/B18/19 Platforms price range. And I'm honestly not impressed with the newer Crosmans.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:32 pm 

Ok, What should I be looking towards so I get an idea of what I will need to invest?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:34 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
mwarden62009 wrote:
Sorry,

Save up, because honestly with that limit, you're still in the Crosman/Gamo/B18/19 Platforms price range. And I'm honestly not impressed with the newer Crosmans.

Thanks for the input!!

What kind of setup would you be recommending so I can keep an eye on sales and get an idea of what my investment will need to be to get into something I will enjoy for a long time?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:42 pm 

Looks a little 'far away' from your budget, but it's not that hard to save up the money....

I recommend a HW80 which will be suit your purpose well. It's in 700$ range after tax for new but this work horse should give you an issue free long lasting shooting fun and done the job well for you.

And try your luck to find an used one will save you a lot~

And air guns are no doubt much cheaper to shoot than the powder burners. Less maintenance, much cheaper ammo cost (pellet vs bullets)...

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:56 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Looks a little 'far away' from your budget, but it's not that hard to save up the money....

I recommend a HW80 which will be suit your purpose well. It's in 700$ range after tax for new but this work horse should give you an issue free long lasting shooting fun and done the job well for you.

And try your luck to find an used one will save you a lot~

And air guns are no doubt much cheaper to shoot than the powder burners. Less maintenance, much cheaper ammo cost (pellet vs bullets)...

Thanks for the advice!

Would that be made by Weihrauch? and are you referring to the .22 model?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:05 pm 

Yes, Weihrauch HW80, made in German.

I think .22 works better for your need... And I just checked, there is still no new stock in D&L (which based In BC and our best source to buy Weihrauch in Canada) yet in the moment. ..
https://dlairgun.com/collections/weihra ... 1488344124

It's the most powerful and robust springer in the Weihrauch product line.

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:18 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Yes, Weihrauch HW80, made in German.

I think .22 works better for your need... And I just checked, there is still no new stock in D&L (which based In BC and our best source to buy Weihrauch in Canada) yet in the moment. ..
https://dlairgun.com/collections/weihra ... 1488344124

It's the most powerful and robust springer in the Weihrauch product line.

Great!! Thanks for the link. I will keep my eye out for it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:47 pm 

You are welcome~
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay! :drinkers:

I now end up with 4 rifles, two HW, 30 and 35, one AA Pro Sport and one FWB300. They are all high quality guns and will be kept. And they are all bought as used from the forum members here. I think you should keep an eyeon the used ones too~

~Target~