Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:09 am 

sillymike wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

But with the longer barrel, does it really?

Because modern Olympic 22's or bench rest barrels might only be 25" and use a sleeve to extend the sights. So is that 8.5" of drag actually helping?

New modern match rifles are designed around new-modern-match ammunition, that use smokeless powder.
- I'm pretty sure you rolling black was designed when 22lr ammunition was manufactured using black-powder... which as a much slower burn rate than smokeless. Hence the need for the much longer barrel.

Any stamping on the barrel?

No make or model. Only markings are on the left side of the receiver with some patents years, and 4 digit number on the bottom Tang. Nothing on the barrel, I even took the forearm off to check.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:56 am 

Hard to tell, but the barrel could have gotten set back earlier in its life.
- I know earlier on, something like powdered glass was in the primer compound and would cause throat erosion...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:28 pm 

leadslinger wrote:

Well the barrel on mine is excellent. But accuracy will be hard, due to the extremely heavy trigger. I say it over 15#, maybe the new block and sear spring that coming, will bring it down? Since it suppose to be a reproduction spring.

Triggers, of course are very important. The return (sear) spring pressure adds to the trigger pull weight, of course.
Seems to me IIRC, rolling block triggers are not that hard to work on. Angles are of paramount importance.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:16 pm 

Daryl wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

Well the barrel on mine is excellent. But accuracy will be hard, due to the extremely heavy trigger. I say it over 15#, maybe the new block and sear spring that coming, will bring it down? Since it suppose to be a reproduction spring.

Triggers, of course are very important. The return (sear) spring pressure adds to the trigger pull weight, of course.
Seems to me IIRC, rolling block triggers are not that hard to work on. Angles are of paramount importance.

Yeah very basic. Mines in pieces ATM waiting on a spring. I mean I could fire it, just no tension on the breech block. It's only 22, not like it will auto eject.

I know some people with the No 4 RRB shim the sear spring ( ones that use screws to secure it ) But with this combination V spring on the No 2, you cannot. But I was talking to Ken from rollingblockparts. He said the newer springs are more softer than the originals.

So hoping the new spring and smoothing and polishing up the contact points, make it a bit better. I'll mainly just shoot steel with this gun.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:57 am 

Been slowly working on this.

Bought a vintage 1022 dovetail only rail, that 2 out of 4 holes line up and mounted my Williams sight. Took it to the range, and it was shooting high, so found a new taller Lyman front sight. But my insets don't fit, so waiting on new ones coming.

But shooting Subsonic 22LR, is more quieter than my airgun. Won't shoot anything slower due to I don't want a squib.

https://youtu.be/0SK3yTXCros

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:34 am 

I've shot quite a bit of the "quiets". Pretty close to the greentags imo at a fraction of the price. Love the vintage stuff. You definitely peak my interest to give it a try.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:12 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
I've shot quite a bit of the "quiets". Pretty close to the greentags imo at a fraction of the price. Love the vintage stuff. You definitely peak my interest to give it a try.

I do have some CCI Quiet 22, but I have not tried them ( Only 710 FPS ) I was shooting CCI Subsonic HPs which are around 1050 FPS But my guess are mid 900s out of the 33" barrel.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:04 pm 

Could be the longer barrel will find reduced vel. with the low powered stuff due to drag, maybe not.
Must chronograph to find out. I would use anything in it that shot well, as to make/type of ammo.
The RB action design is incredibly strong with the front of the trigger roller, locking the breech block
from rolling back. Thus, the strength comes from the rear (hammer rolling block) cross pin locked
in the action's side holes. Thus to become loose, the pins would have to bend/shear and the action sides
would have to compress. With a .22, this isn't going to happen. The head size is so small the actual pressure
against the breech is extremely low, a mere fraction of the actual psi generated radially.
That is a very interesting rifle, indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:13 pm 

I'm not going to add much to the bbl length/velocity/drag arguments here.
They've already been beaten to death over at RFC.
I do note that my favorite .22 bbl is a 24", and it comes close to equaling quality manufacturer's velocity claims.
I'm surmising that factory test beds are still using 24" bbls. which have been the long time industry standard.

Might be worth it for the o/p to watch for EZ-XS semi-smokeless target grade .22 LR cartridges.
They gave an excellent account of themselves in my 24" and 28" bbls.
This old target grade fodder might be hard to find now since there are few and far between gun-shows these days.
Those old RB triggers are re-workable.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:26 pm 

I got my RB (#1 action) down to 2 pounds, same as my Sharps is now. Big difference in accuracy.
Just be careful with the angles, is all. Keep them square (90 degrees).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:00 am 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
I'm not going to add much to the bbl length/velocity/drag arguments here.
They've already been beaten to death over at RFC.
I do note that my favorite .22 bbl is a 24", and it comes close to equaling quality manufacturer's velocity claims.
I'm surmising that factory test beds are still using 24" bbls. which have been the long time industry standard.

Might be worth it for the o/p to watch for EZ-XS semi-smokeless target grade .22 LR cartridges.
They gave an excellent account of themselves in my 24" and 28" bbls.
This old target grade fodder might be hard to find now since there are few and far between gun-shows these days.
Those old RB triggers are re-workable.

-D.S.

Yeah I'm just worried about squibs. So never bothered to try anything less than Sub Sonic or Std Velocity ( 1050 FPS - 1070) But I haven't tried much ammo, due to me trying to get the POA/POI down. Waiting on a new Inset for my replacement 17A front sight.

Yeah I got the trigger down to 3# now.. Bought a spring from a guy in Nevada.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:05 am 

This gun been in pieces for months, I broke the extractor and broke that one during fitting. Something not lined up proper.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:23 am 

Here's a pic of my fav cast bullet shooter. It's a Stevens #44 tipping block action. I got this gun in a box. The breech block was custom machined in centrefire from 4140 steel. I made an extractor, chambered, fitted and headspaced the half octagon, half round barrel, made a new firing pin, new hardened receiver pins, and fitted a Redfield receiver sight and front globe.
Caliber? .38 Special!
Its a blast at shoots! I bring it for kids to shoot. I set up pictures of buckets for the kids to shoot so they can pretend they're Matthew Quigly. Recoil is mild (it's heavy), but a lot more than a .22. Kids love the recoil. It squirts out 160gr swc at around 900fps with 3.5gr bullseye.
A box of 50 rounds lasts a long time in a single shot. My friend gave me 3000 empties. They're now all loaded with my cast bullets and 3.5gr of bullseye.

Attachments:
20210922_105917.jpg
20210922_105917.jpg [ 191.98 KiB | Viewed 509 times ]

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:48 am 
Supporting Members

What a beautiful rifle. Id love to shoulder that. A lot of great info in this post. I dont know how I missed it.