Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:57 am 

Today world, the ideal optimal 22LR barrel length, is 16.5 to 20"

Well in the 1800s, it must been my barrel is longer than yours, measuring contest.

#2 Remington Rolling Block, w/ 33.5" Long 1" thick octagon barrel.. It is 8.5# without the scope. I litterly have a hard time getting it out of the cabinet without hitting it off stuff, and none of my gun cases fit it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:17 am 

That's awesome lol. I bet it's really quiet.

I think this was originally made for iron sight target shooting so the longer sight radius would give an advantage in precision.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:33 am 

This is 22lr? What is awesome is leadslinger put a scope on it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:35 am 

TriggerHappy416 wrote:
That's awesome lol. I bet it's really quiet.

I think this was originally made for iron sight target shooting so the longer sight radius would give an advantage in precision.

When I was test firing it. Compared to the 9" 22 I had at the range. Shooting HV, It was about standard velocity or slightly quieter sound. I'm afraid to shoot CCI quiet 22 from it. Without bringing a brass ram rod. I also need to get a longer cleaning rod. I have a 34" one piece cleaning rod, and with a 22 mop brush, and just about 1/2" comes out of the muzzle. Yeah probably so. It does have the ability to change the front inserts ( current one is quite thick ) It is clearly missing the rear sight, And they're not cheap to replace. So decided to reuse the holes and mount a scope.

But I'll be doing a velocity test with it, when it's repaired ( broke a spring )

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:48 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
This is 22lr? What is awesome is leadslinger put a scope on it.

Yup, 22LR. Being it has no rear sight, and replacements are 250 USD +. I figured I try something. I think it also D&T for an old unertl scope. Because there are 3 tapped hole like 8" down the barrel. But those scopes are also $$$..

I happened to find a multi hole Ruger 10/22 mount, I cut up from another project, that the bolt holes lined up with the rear sight holes. That why there is washers on the screws. Because it's only a test fit, and haven't cut the screws to length. Down side of this mount it is curved, so it doesn't sit that well on the flat receiver. So I got another one coming, meant for a Marlin, that the holes pattern seems to be the same. For 14$ worth a try.

I know it not as nice as a unertl scope.. But at least it is practical and useable again. Will probably mount a older scope on it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:11 pm 

A slim, trim .22 rolling block. Nice. Is the tang drilled and tapped for a tang sight? Should be, to match up with the globed front sight.
An intermediate range (low) folding tang sight would be appropriate. This sharps has the long range 4" staff. They (Pedersoli) make
short range and intermediate range tang sights as well, for rolling blocks and other singe shot rifles.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com sells them, as-do other retailers.
Here's the aperture sights pages, 3 of them, in gun parts section.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/883/3
The Lyman #2 folding sights for various rifles, are on page 3
and run just under $100.00 US. The hole spacing is noted with the sights.

Attachments:
P4111679.jpg
P4111679.jpg [ 134.95 KiB | Viewed 1537 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:53 pm 

Daryl wrote:
A slim, trim .22 rolling block. Nice. Is the tang drilled and tapped for a tang sight? Should be, to match up with the globed front sight.
An intermediate range (low) folding tang sight would be appropriate. This sharps has the long range 4" staff. They (Pedersoli) make
short range and intermediate range tang sights as well, for rolling blocks and other singe shot rifles.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com sells them, as-do other retailers.
Here's the aperture sights pages, 3 of them, in gun parts section.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/883/3
The Lyman #2 folding sights for various rifles, are on page 3
and run just under $100.00 US. The hole spacing is noted with the sights.

Thanks, it is D&T for a tang.. It's a Odd 1.93 hole spacing. But also has 2 small holes, 1.4" spacing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:21 pm 

That is odd spacing. Some of the longer ones, 2.195", I think they were, could be re-drilled for proper spacing.
Of course you might be left with fudging the angle of the sight as well. Depends on whether you are happy with the scope, I guess.
In looking at the tang/barrel height, you would need the higher mid-range tang sight - cost prohibitive.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:22 am 

Daryl wrote:
That is odd spacing. Some of the longer ones, 2.195", I think they were, could be re-drilled for proper spacing.
Of course you might be left with fudging the angle of the sight as well. Depends on whether you are happy with the scope, I guess.
In looking at the tang/barrel height, you would need the higher mid-range tang sight - cost prohibitive.

Thanks, It's something to keep a look for down the road.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:47 am 

leadslinger wrote:

Well in the 1800s, it must been my barrel is longer than yours, measuring contest.

#2 Remington Rolling Block, w/ 33.5" Long 1" thick octagon barrel.. It is 8.5# without the scope. I litterly have a hard time getting it out of the cabinet without hitting it off stuff, and none of my gun cases fit it.

With a longer sight radius and iron sights it does help with accuracy:)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:25 pm 

walther wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

But with the longer barrel, does it really?

Because modern Olympic 22's or bench rest barrels might only be 25" and use a sleeve to extend the sights. So is that 8.5" of drag actually helping?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:42 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
walther wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

Because modern Olympic 22's or bench rest barrels might only be 25" and use a sleeve to extend the sights. So is that 8.5" of drag actually helping?

My first rifle shooting was indoor Olympic bulleye shooting on old ex competition anschutsz rifles even worn out they crazy accurate with those German sights. We did all the various shooting positions etc.

I would not say the longer barrel has much to do with accuracy but the long sight radius does. But because the longer the distance is between front and rear iron sights, for the same reason it is harder to shoot a pistol accurately at long distance vs a rifle. Because a small movement on long sight distanced barrel will be off target less than a much shorter sight distance which will move more and be off target easier.. Now all that's moot if you are using a scope:)

I suspect at some point firearms designers figured out diminishing returns are on a average barrel for velocity for .22's and settled on what gave approx the most fps and easy of carry in the bush vs target shooters that don't care about length , just one holeing targets.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:27 pm 

Exactly - it's the sight radius that is important, which is why a tang sight is slightly more accuracy than a breech-mounted aperture sight. The extra 8"
of so does make a difference, especially at 50 meters or further. 25 meters not so much. The point about barrel drag is a good one. Of course, much also
depends on the condition and quality of the bore itself. If that was a Pope or Pope/Stevens barrel, SUPERB, however that is highly unlikely, being it is a
Remington rifle. Still it could be very good if in good shape. Many of that era aren't, due to the fouling/moisture/oxidation form BP loads and corrosive priming.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:48 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Exactly - it's the sight radius that is important, which is why a tang sight is slightly more accuracy than a breech-mounted aperture sight. The extra 8"
of so does make a difference, especially at 50 meters or further. 25 meters not so much. The point about barrel drag is a good one. Of course, much also
depends on the condition and quality of the bore itself. If that was a Pope or Pope/Stevens barrel, SUPERB, however that is highly unlikely, being it is a
Remington rifle. Still it could be very good if in good shape. Many of that era aren't, due to the fouling/moisture/oxidation form BP loads and corrosive priming.

Well the barrel on mine is excellent. But accuracy will be hard, due to the extremely heavy trigger. I say it over 15#, maybe the new block and sear spring that coming, will bring it down? Since it suppose to be a reproduction spring.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:27 am 

leadslinger wrote:

New modern match rifles are designed around new-modern-match ammunition, that use smokeless powder.
- I'm pretty sure you rolling black was designed when 22lr ammunition was manufactured using black-powder... which as a much slower burn rate than smokeless. Hence the need for the much longer barrel.

Any stamping on the barrel?