Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: 11ft.lb vs Duct Seal
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:19 pm 

Just an experiment as I found out a half brick duct seal which remained from my last time back trap refilling...

Gun - Pro Sport 177 caliber with Vortek 12fpe kit (top hat at lower output setting), using JSB Express domed 7.87g pellet , muzzle speed at 800fps, energy is about 11.2ft.lb

9 yards away, 6 shots get it almost penetrated...

Just a reference to my friends here... ImageImage

HW45 with customized grips from UK
Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine
Camo Chaser long barrel carbine
PP700SA long barrel carbine

Post subject: Re: 11ft.lb vs Duct Seal
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:56 pm 

I think you'll have a different experience if you put some backing too it. I have shots many thousands into mine at 12fpe and not even close to penetrating to the backboard. The pellets actually fuse together making a huge clump of lead.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:33 pm 

When I shot it, it was put leaning on the duct seal of my back trap, not pressed together tho...

And 177 domed pellets might have better penetration power than others.

Noticed this the first time when I cbrony my PS, and as your experience, it didn't really went through the duct seal on a sheet metal cookie box after maybe 20ish shots, but keep shooting at the same spot, it did dig a deep hole on it which I never seen before...

Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:58 pm 

Pellets make a difference, wadcutters won't penetrate as much, as compared to dome or pointed. But with duct seal what 1 inch does, it will take 6 to 8" of rubber mulch. I think I came across 2" of duct seal to stop up to 1000 fps.

But saying that. I'll take duct seal over any other method. Mulch, rags, carpet, cardboard etc..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:38 pm 

When I used my duct seal trap, I never shot more than three pellets at the same spot. I used multi-bull targets, shot three at each one, removed the paper and flipped the pellets out of each spot with my finger. I used a broad faced hammer to smooth it again and away I went.

I have also found that not all duct seal is created equal. I have bought the very dense dark grey stuff and it was awesome. Once they sold me some lighter colour seal and it was terrible. Single pellet would penetrate about 3/4". With the dark grey, 12 ft/lb would be about flush or slightly below the surface. Flat head, match pellets would not even go flush and flipping them off the surface was really quick and easy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:48 am 
Site Moderator

Duct seal lasts a long time too. I made my indoor trap in mid-2000 (20 years ago) and have shot many tens of thousand of pellets into it. Most of the putty is original but occasionally I add a bit because some gets tossed out when removing pellets. Thickness is about 1 1/2" and it stops 900fps from 10 m. Penetration is deep but never to the back. The 500-600fps pellets just stick to the surface and can be flicked out with a screwdriver.

I dump all the spent pellets into 1 kg coffee cans. Back when I started, the cans were metal. The can that's almost full now is about the 5th or 6th in 20 years. I don't shoot as much these days but was once a high volume lead tosser.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:38 am 

I found the stuff from Home Depot the best.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:15 am 

It's a pity years ago the first time and the only one time so far I bought my duct seal bricks from Lowes the casher didn't give me the contractor price even though I emptied all they had on the rack (8 or 9 bricks tho...) [emoji38]

And it's so difficult to find it as the picture on the website looks like some dry powder in a bag not like the brick which it should look like...

Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:48 am 

YepYep wrote:
It's a pity years ago the first time and the only one time so far I bought my duct seal bricks from Lowes the casher didn't give me the contractor price even though I emptied all they had on the rack (8 or 9 bricks tho...) [emoji38]

And it's so difficult to find it as the picture on the website looks like some dry powder in a bag not like the brick which it should look like...

Why should they? If your not a licensed contractor with an account. And really 8-9 bricks is only 28.88 - 32.49. Most contractor prices only apply if you're buying 100s. It's not really used much in the HVAC world anymore.

I watched the History channel, I want a military discount.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:56 pm 

Why is it called duct seal, yet you always buy it in the electrical section? That what I have always wondered. Should be with the sheet metal for ducts. LOL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:54 pm 
Site Moderator

Back when I first loaded up my 10" x 12" pellet trap I called several electrical supply outlets and found the price of Duct Seal varied greatly. I walked into one store and they had a pallet about half full of the stuff. I'm guessing maybe they purchased a full pallet and that's why they had such a good price on individual bricks. I've never had a problem with the GB brand (Gardner Bender).