Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: legalities
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:43 am 

hi peeps,

some time ago i discovered his youtube channel, he's a canadian criminal offence and firearms lawyer, watched quite a few of his videos; i know i changed at least two things i thought i was legal on

the one below was put out yesterday and intended for airsoft but he touches on air rifles, and prohibited replicas, enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT4jtjCVdpw

Post subject: Re: legalities
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:04 pm 

Interesting wordings....
Need to shoot some paper target 'marker' to peace my mind again.... :drinkers:

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:12 pm 

Tks robipaul - answered some questions for me. Thus, these "replica" air-soft guns are actually firearms, just not firearms that require licensing P.A.L. requirement for purchase, same as sub 500fps/4.2fpe designation. Thus as well, because they are firearms, they do not meet the "replica" non-firearms prohib law.
I was confused about that technicality, not any more.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:55 pm 

My two cents

REPLICA AIRGUNS : They are "Uncontrolled firearms" by legal definition in Canada.
Replica BB or Pellet guns that fire under 500 fps and are within the allowed muzzle power ( Joules allowed, I 've forgotten ..) are legal to own with no PAL etc.must also be 18 to purchase. ( Use common sense , dont brandish in public, and check your local bylaws if you can even shoot them in your yard )

My best friend is a senior RCMP officer with crime scene dept' and we discussed this in length, he and all police follow the laws, but they are not pleased
that replica air guns or Replica air soft guns are out there.

Originally the laws on Replica air-soft guns here were more strict in Canada, they had to be transparent plastic , some export companies started to make them in
transparent smokey grey, and had to have an orange tip. Those law no longer exist. In the US they still have to have the orange tips, and in California it's even stricter, they have to have part of the gun bright colored and the mags of air-soft rifles have to have a certain percentage orange or bright colored. As long as airsoft player and replica airgun owner play by the rules and not do stupid things, we collectors should all be fine. But if one serious incedent occurs that hit the national news, the govt' may make some changes... who knows.

So just to understand how silly some laws are,
You can't own a Denix made 1911 replica because is a post 1898 design and does not shoot, because it's a replica
But you can own a 1911 replica made by Umareax that does shoot BB's

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:48 pm 

Tail Air Gunner wrote:
My two cents
You can't own a Denix made 1911 replica because is a post 1898 design and does not shoot, because it's a replica

If someone points either of those at a cop, how is he/she supposed to identify which one they happen to be - firearm or not?
That is why the non-firearm 'gun' is a prohibited weapon or device - the cop can't, in a split-second, identify whether the 'gun'
is real or not - that split second that might end his or her life. That the replica is prohibited is to justify the cop shooting that
person, even if it was, through post shooting investigation, not a real firearm. Point a gun at a cop, you get shot - whether it is
not a real firearm or a real firearm including air-soft or BB or pellet gun, RF or CF firearm.

What this really comes down to, according to the way politicians think, is if we make it illegal, it ceases to exist.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:04 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Tail Air Gunner wrote:
My two cents

If someone points either of those at a cop, how is he/she supposed to identify which one they happen to be - firearm or not?
That is why the non-firearm 'gun' is a prohibited weapon or device - the cop can't, in a split-second, identify whether the 'gun'
is real or not - that split second that might end his or her life. That the replica is prohibited is to justify the cop shooting that
person, even if it was, through post shooting investigation, not a real firearm. Point a gun at a cop, you get shot - whether it is
not a real firearm or a real firearm including air-soft or BB or pellet gun, RF or CF firearm.

What this really comes down to, according to the way politicians think, is if we make it illegal, it ceases to exist.

Had someone message me about the lot of air pistols I had forsale. Asking if I would sell just one. I replied and asked him which one he was interested in? He was like, which ever really.

Sounded like he just wanted an airpistol, and didn't care what he got. It raised concerns, that I walked away. Even a buddy who is a police officer thought it was strange and went immediate to up to no good, like I did.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:13 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Tail Air Gunner wrote:
My two cents

Yeah Daryl, aggreed.

My cop friend agreed, even a cheap plastic toy cap gun painted black, pointed at you is enough to make any police officer shoot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:14 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
Daryl wrote:
Tail Air Gunner wrote:
My two cents

Had someone message me about the lot of air pistols I had forsale. Asking if I would sell just one. I replied and asked him which one he was interested in? He was like, which ever really.

Sounded like he just wanted an airpistol, and didn't care what he got. It raised concerns, that I walked away. Even a buddy who is a police officer thought it was strange and went immediate to up to no good, like I did.

Suspicious for sure

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:08 pm 

Yes, indeed.

I just want a GUN.

yikes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:23 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Yes, indeed.

I just want a GUN.

yikes

How about this joker on facebook marketplace... I doubt this is legal:
I did my due diligence, but the ad is still up. :|

Attachments:
Capture 2.JPG
Capture 2.JPG [ 129.5 KiB | Viewed 860 times ]
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 25.78 KiB | Viewed 860 times ]

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:53 pm 
Supporting Members

Dukemeister wrote:
Daryl wrote:
Yes, indeed.

I just want a GUN.

yikes

How about this joker on facebook marketplace... I doubt this is legal:
I did my due diligence, but the ad is still up. :|

Han Solo's Blaster!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:04 pm 

I think that pistol is made by Chris the Up North Airgunner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK7vcKxjy3o

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:38 pm 

The Hans Solo pistol in the movie was a slightly altered C96 Broomhandle Mauser. 1896or7model, I think.
Ahh- just checked the link - of course, Umarex makes one in BB.