Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:21 pm 

notec wrote:
No need for disassembly. Painters tape on the breach seal will keep any sandings from entering the compression tube. Please make sure to secure the cocking lever while working on it. People have lost finger tips not doing this. You can even use a small block of wood to hold the loading port open for safety. If you need any help I can walk you through the repairs.

Or compress and remove the end cap, removing ALL tension on the spring. Then there is zero chance of loosing your fingers.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:55 pm 
Supporting Members

leadslinger wrote:
notec wrote:
No need for disassembly. Painters tape on the breach seal will keep any sandings from entering the compression tube. Please make sure to secure the cocking lever while working on it. People have lost finger tips not doing this. You can even use a small block of wood to hold the loading port open for safety. If you need any help I can walk you through the repairs.

Or compress and remove the end cap, removing ALL tension on the spring. Then there is zero chance of loosing your fingers.

Yes, even better. Eliminate all potential energy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:20 pm 

No worries on the safety, I have been around springers as well as the CO2 that I always used to work on. I always cock this one with the lever being held under my arm while I load for instance. But, I'm glad that it is brought up in any thread so that any potential searchers in the future are well aware of how dangerous these can be if the anti beartrap breaks. Even with holding the lever fingers will be in there for a while and if there is a catastrophic failure, well, no fingers to worry about next time maybe.

Lots of great ideas to try out here that hadn't occured to me!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:44 pm 

notec wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
notec wrote:

Yes, even better. Eliminate all potential energy.

I got my hand caught in a Chinese side lever. Only reason why I say that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:56 pm 
Site Moderator

cdnairgunner wrote:
Nice, so you went from the barrel end? That could work. There is enough room in the breech to put the sandpaper into the sticks once the are up there.

Nope, I sanded from the breech end. You could do the same if you pull the sliding chamber out of the receiver. Before you try this I suggest you push the pellets from the muzzle end so you know where the tight spots are located. Possibly the entire bore is tight. In that case, find some 4.48mm pellets or get a sizer.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:05 am 
Site Moderator

You might get lucky and only have a burr at the breech end. Rick has a couple of these B3 underlever rifles and they shoot very well with a tune. One of his B3 rifles has amazing accuracy and had me scratching my head after getting 5 pellets touching in a small cluster from 20 yards. With good optics and younger eyes it would likely shoot small ragged holes at 20.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:30 am 

I'll push from the barrel end and see where it's tight, hopefully just at the breech. Chrono says it's within spec when I do get a pellet mashed in there, so that's a good sign. As for accuracy, I had one a decade ago and it was capable of one holers from a rest. I LOVED that thing, and left it behind in a move to and from another province. These are very capable machines for the price.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:09 am 

TCooper wrote:
You might get lucky and only have a burr at the breech end. Rick has a couple of these B3 underlever rifles and they shoot very well with a tune. One of his B3 rifles has amazing accuracy and had me scratching my head after getting 5 pellets touching in a small cluster from 20 yards. With good optics and younger eyes it would likely shoot small ragged holes at 20.

That particular gun does that with H&N Econs too! A rifle that shoots the cheapest pellets really well is a keeper.
Both my B3s have solid aluminum spring guides to replace the flimsy plastic OEM guides, and a basic tune including trigger.
The rifle you mention broke its mainspring. I didn't have a replacement, but I did have a stock B18 full power spring that had broke about 4 coils from the end. I flattened the broken end, polished it up and dropped it in so I could still shoot it while I ordered a new spring. It shot at about 550-575fps and produced groups as you describe. That spring is still there. Not gonna mess with it when it shoots like that. My other B3 shoots at 650-680fps with a stock spring and is almost as accurate. They're really fun guns that respond well to tuning. They're available in Canada now too ($140 CAN)
As I have mentioned before, I can't duplicate the groups Todd shoots with my guns, and I'm a good shot.

PS. The B3 you mentioned is the one that had the burr at the edge of the chamber.

Too soon old too late smart.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:09 pm 

Speaking of cheap pellets, my last B3 pulled those groups with Daisy wads. I was mystified at the time. Very capable these things, and cheap if you can find them. I just got the last .22 from D&L's used store for 50.00 a few weeks ago. Haven't used it for more than a few shots because of the loading issue. Hopefully I can get at it tonight, been doing other household stuff after work this week. Not the least of which was stuffing insulation in the ceiling of the range, er, laundry room.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:12 pm 

And twiddling the coney stone with the breech locked open won out. Pellets fit now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:43 am 
Supporting Members

cdnairgunner wrote:
And twiddling the coney stone with the breech locked open won out. Pellets fit now.

Awesome.....glad to hear!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:46 am 

Yep, I was pleased too. Turns out there was burr on the breech end like TCooper ran into, so just a bit of lapping and it was gone. Maybe 2-3 minutes tops. I gave the barrel a good scrub and it's shooting one holers at 10M as it should. Thanks to everyone that pitched in with ideas for getting at this easily.

Now I patiently wait for a Norica stock to arrive from Birdman so I can see if I can reduce the length of pull on this one a bit.