Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours


The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

 

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.








Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:24 pm
Posts: 225
Location: Montreal
Just wanted to share this..

This is the reason I chose Tail Air Gunner as my Username on the forum.

On my wall is a large photo frame from 1941 Of a young 20 years old named Ronald Jackson.

He was a Sgt “ Air Gunner”, ( Hence the AG wing patch on the frame ) in the Royal Canadian Air Force.
As an air gunner his position in the bomber may have been in the tail or the noose, ( Tail Air Gunner )
As a young boy, he was into making model airplanes and collected and reading any aviation magazine he could.
His passion was for planes and to fly, and enjoyed being in uniform as we has a member of the boy scouts.
He was a well liked and outdoors type person from first hand accounts of people who knew him well.
His father was a retired Royal Air Force member from the UK, and this two older brothers Arthur and Douglass were already officers in the air force.

On Aug 7th 1942 at around 23:15 hrs he and five other men boarded a Vickers Wellington BOMBER Plane HF-855 on a night training exercise.
from Stratford upon Avon RFC air base in England

There were four Canadians including himself, and one 19 year old American
who was the pilot of the plane. Ronald took his place in the machine gunners turret and strapped in
for this midnight flight.

Approx, 6 min after take off, the plane lost power and the engines stalled, they were in a right hand bank ( Turning )
H.Q was in radio communication with the plane and knew what was happening but there was nothing they could do.
At 23:35 hrs the plane crashed in Bicester county in the UK countryside.
Ronald and the other four young men all perished in the crash.

Below is the framed of Ronald when he was in training in Canada, and his spare set of AG wing.
The newspaper clipping of him having been killed in Action

Other photos are just to show the kind of plane he was flying in, and the cramped turret he had to sit it.
Photo a wellington Bomber
Photo of a sgt in the fuselage of a Wellington
Photo of an air Gunner in the tight space of a gun turret of a wellington bomber ( Training turret )
Photo from the outside of the Air Gunners ( Tail Turret )



Image

Image


Image


Image


Image


Image


Image

Image


Image

Image


Image

_________________
Beretta M92
Bersa 9
CZ-75
CZ-SP01
TTI Combat Master 2011
Desert Eagle x2
Diana 24
Diana Chaser
S.A.1911
Kimber 1911
M&P 40
Glock 17 G4
Sig P365
Sig X5
Sig M17
Walther 99C
Tokarev
Wesson 715
Luger
Schofield x2
DPMS
MP-40
UZI


Last edited by Tail Air Gunner on Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:27 pm
Posts: 2155
Location: Toronto
That's very neat and a good way to keep his memory alive.

Thanks for sharing.

_________________
"...await the right moment for one, and only one well-aimed shot" - Vassili Zaitsev


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:24 pm
Posts: 225
Location: Montreal
TriggerHappy416 wrote:
That's very neat and a good way to keep his memory alive.

Thanks for sharing.


Your welcome

_________________
Beretta M92
Bersa 9
CZ-75
CZ-SP01
TTI Combat Master 2011
Desert Eagle x2
Diana 24
Diana Chaser
S.A.1911
Kimber 1911
M&P 40
Glock 17 G4
Sig P365
Sig X5
Sig M17
Walther 99C
Tokarev
Wesson 715
Luger
Schofield x2
DPMS
MP-40
UZI


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:23 am
Posts: 4107
Location: Somewheres near the Atlantic
Very nice to keep the memory alive. Also nice photos.

HANDS IN THE POCKET.. That is a jacking..

_________________
I'm merely an Airgun plinker. I don't shoot 10m, FT or partake in Airgun competitions.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:15 am
Posts: 3958
Location: Edmonton
And yet, it is a sad story in so many ways. A "19-year-old pilot..." Imagine how much flight/combat experience he had at that point.

Thanks for that story, TAG. I can't imagine how many times it was sorrowfully repeated at that point in the war.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:33 pm
Posts: 319
Location: Yukon
Thank you for posting. They really were the greatest generation. There is a film called the Boys of Kelvin High. It cronicals the contribution of a single Manitoba High school who lost more than 50 students in Bomber Command.
Lest we forget.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:24 pm
Posts: 225
Location: Montreal
tango wrote:
Thank you for posting. They really were the greatest generation. There is a film called the Boys of Kelvin High. It cronicals the contribution of a single Manitoba High school who lost more than 50 students in Bomber Command.
Lest we forget.


Tks, Ill go check out that documentary!

_________________
Beretta M92
Bersa 9
CZ-75
CZ-SP01
TTI Combat Master 2011
Desert Eagle x2
Diana 24
Diana Chaser
S.A.1911
Kimber 1911
M&P 40
Glock 17 G4
Sig P365
Sig X5
Sig M17
Walther 99C
Tokarev
Wesson 715
Luger
Schofield x2
DPMS
MP-40
UZI


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:24 pm
Posts: 225
Location: Montreal
Edmonton<500 wrote:
And yet, it is a sad story in so many ways. A "19-year-old pilot..." Imagine how much flight/combat experience he had at that point.


He had no combat experience, he had just gotten his Air Gunner badge wing, and he and his crew were on a night training flight
as part of 22nd OTU ( Operational Training unit )

Imagine the parents fear...they had three sons all in the Air Force, Ronald was the youngest and least experienced airman.
His older brothers, both officers survived the war. The frame I have ,had the newspaper clipping taped to the front of the frame.

I have to assume this is the photo his parents hung on the wall for years afterwards.

_________________
Beretta M92
Bersa 9
CZ-75
CZ-SP01
TTI Combat Master 2011
Desert Eagle x2
Diana 24
Diana Chaser
S.A.1911
Kimber 1911
M&P 40
Glock 17 G4
Sig P365
Sig X5
Sig M17
Walther 99C
Tokarev
Wesson 715
Luger
Schofield x2
DPMS
MP-40
UZI


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:23 am
Posts: 4107
Location: Somewheres near the Atlantic
Tail Air Gunner wrote:
Edmonton<500 wrote:
And yet, it is a sad story in so many ways. A "19-year-old pilot..." Imagine how much flight/combat experience he had at that point.


He had no combat experience, he had just gotten his Air Gunner badge wing, and he and his crew were on a night training flight
as part of 22nd OTU ( Operational Training unit )

Imagine the parents fear...they had three sons all in the Air Force, Ronald was the youngest and least experienced airman.
His older brothers, both officers survived the war. The frame I have ,had the newspaper clipping taped to the front of the frame.

I have to assume this is the photo his parents hung on the wall for years afterwards.


The fact he was 19 or 20 and was a Sgt is impressive. I have a story about parents fearing the worst. But this thread, ain't about me.

_________________
I'm merely an Airgun plinker. I don't shoot 10m, FT or partake in Airgun competitions.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:24 pm
Posts: 225
Location: Montreal
leadslinger wrote:
Tail Air Gunner wrote:
Edmonton<500 wrote:
And yet, it is a sad story in so many ways. A "19-year-old pilot..." Imagine how much flight/combat experience he had at that point.


He had no combat experience, he had just gotten his Air Gunner badge wing, and he and his crew were on a night training flight
as part of 22nd OTU ( Operational Training unit )

Imagine the parents fear...they had three sons all in the Air Force, Ronald was the youngest and least experienced airman.
His older brothers, both officers survived the war. The frame I have ,had the newspaper clipping taped to the front of the frame.

I have to assume this is the photo his parents hung on the wall for years afterwards.


The fact he was 19 or 20 and was a Sgt is impressive. I have a story about parents fearing the worst. But this thread, ain't about me.


LEADSLINGER, Please Feel free to share, I welcome it!!
:)
In the meantime, I was able to track down photos of the rest of the crew of the plane that Sgt Air Gunner JACKSON died in.


Image

Image
Image
Image

_________________
Beretta M92
Bersa 9
CZ-75
CZ-SP01
TTI Combat Master 2011
Desert Eagle x2
Diana 24
Diana Chaser
S.A.1911
Kimber 1911
M&P 40
Glock 17 G4
Sig P365
Sig X5
Sig M17
Walther 99C
Tokarev
Wesson 715
Luger
Schofield x2
DPMS
MP-40
UZI


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:27 pm
Posts: 2155
Location: Toronto
It's interesting that newspapers put their home addresses in both articles like it was no big deal.

_________________
"...await the right moment for one, and only one well-aimed shot" - Vassili Zaitsev


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:23 am
Posts: 4107
Location: Somewheres near the Atlantic
TriggerHappy416 wrote:
It's interesting that newspapers put their home addresses in both articles like it was no big deal.


Seemed like it common thing back then.

_________________
I'm merely an Airgun plinker. I don't shoot 10m, FT or partake in Airgun competitions.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:24 pm
Posts: 225
Location: Montreal
leadslinger wrote:
TriggerHappy416 wrote:
It's interesting that newspapers put their home addresses in both articles like it was no big deal.


Seemed like it common thing back then.


It interesting when you can use google street view to actually see the home where they lived.

_________________
Beretta M92
Bersa 9
CZ-75
CZ-SP01
TTI Combat Master 2011
Desert Eagle x2
Diana 24
Diana Chaser
S.A.1911
Kimber 1911
M&P 40
Glock 17 G4
Sig P365
Sig X5
Sig M17
Walther 99C
Tokarev
Wesson 715
Luger
Schofield x2
DPMS
MP-40
UZI


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:27 am
Posts: 2642
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Dad was a W.A.G., and a flight sergeant to boot.
He flew in Avro mk. IV Lancasters (as most did) and was the radio operator. The midsection dome turret was his. He wasn't exactly enamored of the twin .303 m/g. Some tail guns on the later Lancasters were up-dated to .50 BMG near the end of the war.

W.A.G. = wireless air gunner.

Wellingtons were phased out as operations aircraft by late '43-early '44. Their slow speed made them easier targets.

I haven't seen The Boys of Kelvin, but Dad was one of them. Winnipeg was a real air force city. The CFL Blue Bombers were once known as "Winnipeg R.C.A.F."

He would have taken exception to the "Cdn soldier" moniker. He was first, always, and last, an air-man.

-D.S.

_________________
"Ain't no half-way"
-S.R.V.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:24 pm
Posts: 225
Location: Montreal
Doc Sharptail wrote:
Dad was a W.A.G., and a flight sergeant to boot.
He flew in Avro mk. IV Lancasters (as most did) and was the radio operator. The midsection dome turret was his. He wasn't exactly enamored of the twin .303 m/g. Some tail guns on the later Lancasters were up-dated to .50 BMG near the end of the war.

W.A.G. = wireless air gunner.

Wellingtons were phased out as operations aircraft by late '43-early '44. Their slow speed made them easier targets.

I haven't seen The Boys of Kelvin, but Dad was one of them. Winnipeg was a real air force city. The CFL Blue Bombers were once known as "Winnipeg R.C.A.F."

He would have taken exception to the "Cdn soldier" moniker. He was first, always, and last, an air-man.

-D.S.



That's a great story, thanks.

BTY no disrespect was meant by the term solider, solider is a term to identify any military personnel.


"Soldier
A soldier is one who fights as part of a military. A soldier can be a conscripted or volunteer enlisted person, a non-commissioned officer, or an officer. In other definition, soldiers are military personnel that participate in ground, sea, or air forces, commonly known as armies, navies, and air forces, respectively."

_________________
Beretta M92
Bersa 9
CZ-75
CZ-SP01
TTI Combat Master 2011
Desert Eagle x2
Diana 24
Diana Chaser
S.A.1911
Kimber 1911
M&P 40
Glock 17 G4
Sig P365
Sig X5
Sig M17
Walther 99C
Tokarev
Wesson 715
Luger
Schofield x2
DPMS
MP-40
UZI


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

phpBB SEO