Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: A first for me
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:23 am 

I had been in the market or so I thought for a new .25 caliber airgun so I was surfing and noticed that Dlairgun had a rim fire category. After lots of browsing , and watching reviews on YouTube I ended up changing my want for a .25 to a semi auto rimmy. Ended up ordering a GSG -16 , a 3MOA red dot and 5500 rounds for the same price as what a quality .25 would have cost for the rifle alone ( enter FX , Daystate RAW etc.) so now I wait for the postal service to deliver. Hope it’s as good as the reviews say it is. Way more power on tap than any airgun and hopefully accuracy will be close enough to hit what I aim at.

What I originally thought about the cost of .22lr ammo was simply not the case. After shipping, it’s only about 10c per trigger pull. That’s about even once I factor in labor to shooting cast bullets in .257

I’ll post again once I get it in hand and put a few down the barrel.

Post subject: Re: A first for me
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:19 am 

I got a GSG 16, fun gun. I had one for over a year. The flaw is the plastic rail.. Its only held in by the 2 halves, and 2 brass pegs. The barrel on it is pencil thin. Trigger is about 5lbs, but then again it, it wasn't mean to be a precision rifle, but more of just a plinker.

I only bought mine to do one thing...Make it close to a MP5 as I could get.

Lol someone argued with me, that PB isn't cheaper then airguns.

Personally if you were looking at high end Daystates, or FX, and I wanted a PB. Id get a 10/22 target, or Dlask Tuff 22. GSG is fun plinker but that where it ends. Now when I had the OEM barrel, it was easy to get under quarter groups at 25M with bulk ammo.

This is how I had my OEM one setup like..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:58 am 

leadslinger wrote:
Lol someone argued with me, that PB isn't cheaper then airguns.

Cheapest air gunning is probably cheaper than cheapest rimfire but that's some pretty craptacular stuff. As distance and accuracy requirements grow RFs do have an advantage under a certain shot count. Costs about $40 more to shoot 500 CCI minimags, a common economy conscience quality round, compared to most middle quality pellets. I'm not going to count super cheap bucket rf ammo as I could group better with a slingshot. Most people will not shoot tens of thousands of rounds regardless of platform so if cost to accuracy is the only aspect you value then RF wins most scenarios. If you plan to shoot the platform for many shots over many years the ag wins.

IMO get both. Each have their own qualities worth investigating.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:16 am 

I’ve already got two .257 cals in the 140-160 Fpe range that I shoot at distance 100-150 yards and I would put both up against most if not all RF’s in the same price range . The new GSG-16 is said to have a much better adjustable trigger ( this is yet to be determined)and I’ll be keeping this down to 50 yards or less and plinking not target shooting maybe the odd hunting trip.

Leadslinger, I like what you did with yours . Do you think there’s anyway to fix the rail on it without it costing a fortune?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:37 am 

Hobbyman2007 wrote:
I’ve already got two .257 cals in the 140-160 Fpe range that I shoot at distance 100-150 yards and I would put both up against most if not all RF’s in the same price range . The new GSG-16 is said to have a much better adjustable trigger ( this is yet to be determined)and I’ll be keeping this down to 50 yards or less and plinking not target shooting maybe the odd hunting trip.

Leadslinger, I like what you did with yours . Do you think there’s anyway to fix the rail on it without it costing a fortune?

There is ATI imports and Blueline Sol imports. The BL comes with the adjustable trigger screw. Which doesn't adjust much, 1/2 pound maybe. Currently mines sitting without the screw in it, as Dlask said it effects the reliability.

Fixed stock is a must for comfort.

Down side about the OEM rail is, the screws won't come out, no matter how much you try and loosen, it will just spin the brass threaded inserts. You have to separate the 2 halves. If you mount only light weight optics, you may not have issues.

You could also get a longer base, that bridge the handguard and the optic rail together.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:44 pm 

Hobbyman2007 wrote:
I had been in the market or so I thought for a new .25 caliber airgun so I was surfing and noticed that Dlairgun had a rim fire category. After lots of browsing , and watching reviews on YouTube I ended up changing my want for a .25 to a semi auto rimmy. Ended up ordering a GSG -16 , a 3MOA red dot and 5500 rounds for the same price as what a quality .25 would have cost for the rifle alone ( enter FX , Daystate RAW etc.) so now I wait for the postal service to deliver. Hope it’s as good as the reviews say it is. Way more power on tap than any airgun and hopefully accuracy will be close enough to hit what I aim at.

What I originally thought about the cost of .22lr ammo was simply not the case. After shipping, it’s only about 10c per trigger pull. That’s about even once I factor in labor to shooting cast bullets in .257

I’ll post again once I get it in hand and put a few down the barrel.

Need pics

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:17 pm 

Interesting "Black Guns" look-alikes to SMG.
My favourite .22 Semi-auto is less likely to be prohibited.
BRNO 1962: This one is not as accurate as my re-barreled and re-stocked 10-22, but
will still hold into nickle sized groups at 60meters with high vel. Browning 40gr. HP's @ 1,445fps
that's 185fpe.

Attachments:
IMG_2932.JPG
IMG_2932.JPG [ 686.85 KiB | Viewed 1633 times ]
IMG_2931.JPG
IMG_2931.JPG [ 684.89 KiB | Viewed 1633 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:17 pm 

You need to live a bit.. NZ tought us nothing is safe, not even Lever actions or 22s. Went up to Dads last month. Both VZ & CSA I gave him, and an AR15, is a paper weight due to the OIC.

But I have alot of Old guns. But you show up to the range with this, nobody wants to shoot your 1960s semi :)

Hobby man can sit on his couch this Christmas and slap that charging handle while watching Die Hard. Ho ho ho. Now I have a machine gun.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:42 pm 

Hobbyman2007 wrote:

It won't matter much how adjustable the GSG-16 trigger may be because the gun is definitely not designed nor made to be particularly accurate. Your PCP .257's should shoot more accurately at any distance.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:11 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
But you show up to the range with this, nobody wants to shoot your 1960s semi :)

:D I would and do & I just don't let anyone shoot my rifles, except on Heritage Day when we invite the public to the range.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:21 pm 

Daryl wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
But you show up to the range with this, nobody wants to shoot your 1960s semi :)

:D I would and do & I just don't let anyone shoot my rifles, except on Heritage Day when we invite the public to the range.

Me too!!
Just love the look and feel of older rifles, don't know why lol but I've always been drawn to them over newer styled rifles
Everybody is different tho

Steve

Walther Falcon .25
Benji XL 1100

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:09 pm 

Penage Guy wrote:
Hobbyman2007 wrote:

It won't matter much how adjustable the GSG-16 trigger may be because the gun is definitely not designed nor made to be particularly accurate. Your PCP .257's should shoot more accurately at any distance.

Well within 50M he should be able to do 1/2- 3/4" groups with the stock barrel. The trigger is decent for what it is. But many expect it to have some light match trigger.

Well the 9" Dlask GAG 16 barrel is a LW.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:17 pm 

Daryl wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

I have and had many 22's, New and old. All of my centerfire rifles are 1960s and earlier, and I got the old Cooey and the RRB. So yes I enjoy old guns. Just saying the GSG turns heads, like my belt fed 22LR did. Plus it is fun when people tell me it is Prohib.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:53 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
Well within 50M he should be able to do 1/2- 3/4" groups with the stock barrel.

This is not to create argument, but .22 rimfire shooters should be aware that there's very little chance of doing that well with a GSG-16. It's might be possible to do the very occasional sub-1"-groups by chance, but it won't do it consistently.

The average bolt action .22LR -- typically more accurate than a semi-auto -- won't consistently do that well either. Even the popular CZ 455, which enjoys a fairly good reputation, isn't expected by its own manufacturer to shoot 1 MOA (or .5") at 50 yards. CZ shooters on RFC's CZ forum repeatedly report that CZ USA tells them that the accuracy standard for the 455 is 2 MOA. Of course some individual CZ rifles will shoot better.

The newer CZ 457 MTR and LRP models have the CZ match chamber. CZ says only these two models with match chambers have "an excellent accuracy guarantee of 1 MOA depending on the ammunition used." See https://www.czub.cz/en/firearms-and-pro ... ion%20used (hover over "Match chamber on selected models")

The GSG-16 has a sporting rather than a match chamber, and for the CZ models to achieve 1 MOA accuracy they must use match .22LR ammo. Few, if any, stock (unmodified) semi-auto .22LR's rifles, enjoy a reputation for accuracy that exceeds the average CZ rifle with a sporting chamber.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:22 am 

Penage Guy wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
Well within 50M he should be able to do 1/2- 3/4" groups with the stock barrel.

This is not to create argument, but .22 rimfire shooters should be aware that there's very little chance of doing that well with a GSG-16. It's might be possible to do the very occasional sub-1"-groups by chance, but it won't do it consistently.

The average bolt action .22LR -- typically more accurate than a semi-auto -- won't consistently do that well either. Even the popular CZ 455, which enjoys a fairly good reputation, isn't expected by its own manufacturer to shoot 1 MOA (or .5") at 50 yards. CZ shooters on RFC's CZ forum repeatedly report that CZ USA tells them that the accuracy standard for the 455 is 2 MOA. Of course some individual CZ rifles will shoot better.

The newer CZ 457 MTR and LRP models have the CZ match chamber. CZ says only these two models with match chambers have "an excellent accuracy guarantee of 1 MOA depending on the ammunition used." See https://www.czub.cz/en/firearms-and-pro ... ion%20used (hover over "Match chamber on selected models")

The GSG-16 has a sporting rather than a match chamber, and for the CZ models to achieve 1 MOA accuracy they must use match .22LR ammo. Few, if any, stock (unmodified) semi-auto .22LR's rifles, enjoy a reputation for accuracy that exceeds the average CZ rifle with a sporting chamber.

Well It was just a rough estimate, maybe 3/4" to 1" is more accurate. But this is based on my experience with shooting the GSG 16 at 25M. I just shoot spinners and gongs with mine. Never bought it to be a "bullet stacker", just a plinker. But I also have a Remington Rolling Block, with a 33.5" 22LR barrel, and my goto Cooey 75.

Also there is reports of Marlin 795s doing 3/4-1" groups at 50M. So a cheap semi auto, can shoot decently.