Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: Tuning kit for HW80
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:56 pm 

There's some special airgun spring compressor however which I found just too costy and you can just use the normal clamp compressor to finish the same job.

It's good that you have them and pretty sure you know how to use that.

I followed the below video to do my HW35. The 35 is almost same like the 80, so you will need to know what's what that's good to start the job.

https://youtu.be/wrAbruYs_MU

And there are so many similar videos on YouTube and they may give you different info regarding the job, go search 'HW80 tuning', 'break barrel strip down' etc etc on YouTube to find them. Better watch as many as you can before starts. And take pictures at every second moment you think you should keep a memory. This habit helps a lot.

You may also find the videos looks seldom show you a spring compressor!! However to me, I am not Hulk 100% at all, so I just can't finish the job without a compressor.

You need to know the strong spring is powerful (17fpe energy), at the 1/10 second the end cap (maybe 'end block') getting off the action tube, the spring will push everything apart. And then, when you putting back the things together, you need something to help you keep the end block and action tube stay together steadily, you can turn it to engage the treads... That's the time I need the compressor to help.

At the time you order your kit, you can also pick one or two backup piston seal which you don't use it here you must need one later and you don't need to look for where to buy when you need it in the future.

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:03 pm 

Oh... To my experience some extra things need to be watched out and can be done by the way you strip the gun down... I. E.

The safety spring pops out and gone...
Polish the action tube slot...
Polish the piston...
Watch out the metal parts cuts/damage the piston seal (also named the main seal) when you take the piston out and putting it back in...
Don't over lube it...
Be safe~

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:10 pm 

I have ordered kits from Jim Maccari and he is indeed a man who likes direct and succinct questions and answer. But all the parts always seem very high quality at least to my non-airgunsmith eyes. :D

I have a Maccari tune kit (sorry I don't remember what was called) for my 26 year old HW80 in .22 and that kit has been going strong for about 10 years. I did cut a few coils off the spring (and re-finished the end coil properly) just to drop the power and recoil a bit, and it is still very smooth and accurate at about 17 to 18 ft. lbs with JSB 18.1 gr pellets.

I also have his kit for the old Beeman R8/HW50 and that thing is unbelievably smooth and accurate. It's just a quick snap with very little recoil and no spring buzz. It's so nice and easy to shoot these lower powered spring piston airguns when they have a nice tune installed.

And lastly here is the link to his spring pre-set service. Keep in mind some of his kits already have the spring pre-set, as he told me this when I tried to order the service on a kit a few years ago.

https://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/ca ... 852183.htm

The HW80 will most likely need a good sturdy spring compressor, especially if shoots "full power" PAL/FAC. I made my own years ago and it is overkill but I can work on nearly any spring piston airgun now.

YepYep wrote:
According to my order experience from Maccari (the springs and kits for my HW30/35/45), you would like to have an extra 'spring set' service which Jim will use his equipment to finish the first conpressing for you before shipping out the spring. This would reduce the length of a new spring for an inch something which greatly help you to install it into the gun when you receive it. Tho I didn't buy this service because I found it too late after I had a hard time to install the spring, I think it's a very helpful service...

And maybe you would need a spring compressor for the DIY job too~

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:48 am 

Well, I got a very nice quick reply with advice from Air Rifle Headquarters helping me make my decission on purchase.
Ordered a Soft R1-HW80 Tune Kit and was replied ‘don't need spring setting for kits- that is already done’.
Can’t wait to receive it in the mail.

I some how missed some of the above posts with suggestions and video link... thank-you guys... I will check those out to help me do the job right!

Thanks everyone for your very helpfull advise !

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:45 am 

You are very welcome! Have fun and a new gun for the new year~ :drinkers:

~Target~

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:44 pm 

Let us know how it shoots once you’re set up.

Good luck