Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Tuning kit for HW80
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:56 pm 

I’m looking to tame my HW80 FAC which is shooting about 17.38 FPE and not very consistent tight groups
I’d like it to shoot consistently 1/4” groups at at least 25 yards
I'm concerned about accuracy NOT POWER

I’ve been suggested to get a TBT HW80 Maxi Pro tuning kit (short stroke kit to lower Power and smooth shooting)
Any comments suggestions?
Where can I order from? (I live in Montreal, Qc area)
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Tuning kit for HW80
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:21 pm 

There is a guy in the states and ships here makes a lot of kits for Hw’s and other brands his name is Jim Maccari he’s been around for a thousand years he knows Hw’s extremely well.

Here is the link, good luck.

https://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/pa ... 251327.htm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:55 pm 

Yep ~ for us in the North America, buying from Jim Maccari looks better than shipping stuff from the other side of. The earth to buy from TbT... Both of these two gentlemen make good stuff tho~

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:30 pm 

Thanks!
Does anyone have suggestions or know exactly what kit I should get (direct link would be great)?
Or maybe contact info of Jim Maccari so I can PM him and ask ?
As mentioned, I’m looking to make my HW80 more easy to shoot accurately and consistently. I want accuracy NOT POWER.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:46 pm 

Let’s say Jim doesn’t talk much, for those who know or have dealt with him he’s a man of a few words, he mostly deals with guys that know how to tune so little is explained....

If you pm him keep it short.....God only knows how many emails he gets with people asking questions and wanting advise so after many years I think he’s a bit short on patience.

Having said that go to his site look at tune kits there it will say which guns they are for, most of his kits will be 12 foot pounds, they usually come with delrin guides, top hats and sometime washers, the stuff is very good all made by hand by him.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:50 pm 

He’s got two kits for the 80 one softer one regular, with these kits you will notice a drop in power but the gun will be so much better to shoot, like I said around 12 foot pounds.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:10 pm 

HW777 wrote:
He’s got two kits for the 80 one softer one regular, with these kits you will notice a drop in power but the gun will be so much better to shoot, like I said around 12 foot pounds.

OK... so I assume the "New - Soft R1-HW80 Tune Kit" is the one that would be best suited for my needs ?
It'll lower the power (FPE) and 'calm' the rifle making it easier to shoot and easier to get accurate ?

I assume I should be able to figure out how to install with help of YouTube video's ?

Thank-you !!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:38 pm 

According to my order experience from Maccari (the springs and kits for my HW30/35/45), you would like to have an extra 'spring set' service which Jim will use his equipment to finish the first conpressing for you before shipping out the spring. This would reduce the length of a new spring for an inch something which greatly help you to install it into the gun when you receive it. Tho I didn't buy this service because I found it too late after I had a hard time to install the spring, I think it's a very helpful service...

And maybe you would need a spring compressor for the DIY job too~

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:32 am 

Not sure about the softer kit I think that’s pretty new, for my 97 I always got the Hornet FAC kit.
Yes the shot cycle will be more docile and very short....just a thump, your 80 will feel totally different and your groups will tighten......but you will lose velocity.

I know it’s a different gun, my 97 shoots around 800fps

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:30 pm 

YepYep wrote:
According to my order experience from Maccari (the springs and kits for my HW30/35/45), you would like to have an extra 'spring set' service which Jim will use his equipment to finish the first conpressing for you before shipping out the spring. This would reduce the length of a new spring for an inch something which greatly help you to install it into the gun when you receive it. Tho I didn't buy this service because I found it too late after I had a hard time to install the spring, I think it's a very helpful service...

And maybe you would need a spring compressor for the DIY job too~

So which of the two kits would you recommend I get ? I am new and have no idea, so any and all advise please.
'New Deluxe R1-Hw80 Power Kit' or 'New - Soft R1-HW80 Tune Kit'

The 'New - Soft R1-HW80 Tune Kit' says it's easier to install when you click on the link.

And when ordering the kit, how do I ask for or get this 'extra spring set service' you mention ?
What is this spring compressor that you suggest and where do I get one ?

I'd love to get everything I need and have it installed so I can get my HW80 up and running accurately and consistently (1/4" groups consitently at 25 yards)

Thanks everyone... really appreciate the help and advice!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:16 pm 

Sorry~ I couldn't find that spring setting service either!! According to my memory, it should be a 5$ extra for a spring...

You can go ahead to send an email to ask how much muzzle velocity you are expecting on the 'Soft' kit vs the 'pro' kit. Yours are 22?! I think Pro kit will be around 800fps and soft kit around 700fps.

And also asked if he can help to set the spring before shipping to you... Maybe a link to put that into the cart too....

I'm my experience, Jim was very nice and answered all my questions. Of course as said, the answer is direct and short ~ [emoji38]

Later to tell you my spring compressor... Let me find the info out...

~Target~

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:28 pm 

My spring compressor is 24 inches old style model with the screw in and out handle not the new style quick clamp model... I think they both work well, and you may use something shorter, but at least longer than the action tube on your gun which make sure it can cover the length of the released spring and the end cap of the HW rifle...

~Target~

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:04 pm 

YepYep wrote:
My spring compressor is 24 inches old style model with the screw in and out handle not the new style quick clamp model... I think they both work well, and you may use something shorter, but at least longer than the action tube on your gun which make sure it can cover the length of the released spring and the end cap of the HW rifle...

So where can I get one of these 'spring compressors' ? Are they available to order from Air Rifle Headquarters ? I didn't see any ?
If not, where ?

Thanks again YepYep !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:30 pm 

Did you watch your tuning video yet? [emoji38]

Just what they used in the video... I have two, a short one for pistol which was from Canadian Tires, the bigger one I don't remember, maybe Canadian Tires again... But I found this one from Amazon which should do the job for you too~Image

Maybe a 18inches model could be okay as usually our rifles action tube is 14 inches, so 4 extra inches for the pre-load released spring and the end cap treads should be just enough... However I don't have that size and for play safe, a 24 inches model won't let you down...

~Target~

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:55 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Did you watch your tuning video yet? [emoji38]

Just what they used in the video... I have two, a short one for pistol which was from Canadian Tires, the bigger one I don't remember, maybe Canadian Tires again... But I found this one from Amazon which should do the job for you too~Image

Maybe a 18inches model could be okay as usually our rifles action tube is 14 inches, so 4 extra inches for the pre-load released spring and the end cap treads should be just enough... However I don't have that size and for play safe, a 24 inches model won't let you down...

Which tuning video was I supposed to watch ? Did you drop a link ?

The picture your showing looks like a regular quick grip clamp... I have several already in my garage. 2' and 3'. How do I use that as a spring compressors ?
(sorry for all the detailed questions...I feel so lost but am so anxious to be shooting accurate groups at 25 yards !)

*I sent an e-mail to contactarh@yahoo.com from the Air Rifle Headquarters site asking which kit I should get (Deluxe or Soft) and also that someone mentioned to ask about his 'extra spring set service'. I keep you updated when I get a reply.

Thanks