Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Scope Help
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:18 pm 

So I currently have a Bushnell Banner 6-24 x 40. This scope works fine but I have noticed that on 24 magnification the outside ring of the scope gets blurry. I would love to get into filming my shots with a scope camera but keep coming up against this person issue:

I would like to film in slow motion and from my research found that if you want to capture pellet in flight you need minimum 1080p @ 240 frames per second. Before this information I thought the ATN would be the best option for me. The camera, scope, night vision and ability to “program/zero” it for multiple guns, it seemed to do it all.

After looking at all the scope cam options it looks like you need a decent scope and a GoPro with a lens conversion to get 1080 @ 240 frames per second. I like the idea of looking through the scope, leaving me to choose a side mount camera option.

I was thinking of upgrading my scope to the Discovery ED 6-24×50 SFIR FFP Rifle Scope. Then save up for a camera and mounting system later. Or should I wait and see what if any of the company’s come out with upgraded cameras (ATN, tactacam, etc)?

What are your guys thoughts?

Is the Discovery ED 6-24×50 SFIR FFP a good scope?

Post subject: Re: Scope Help
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:21 am 

IMO 24X is too high for a scope with a 40mm Objective.... I think you would notice a much better, brighter image with a 50mm.... or be setting your magnification down to 18X or so....

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:40 am 

rsterne wrote:
IMO 24X is too high for a scope with a 40mm Objective.... I think you would notice a much better, brighter image with a 50mm.... or be setting your magnification down to 18X or so....

Bob

Thanks Bob!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:59 pm 

rsterne wrote:

Bob

Exactly: I believe 24X is too high a magnification setting for an inexpensive scope to be clear. The lenses are just not up to holding clarity at that level. I've had a few 6-24X Banner Scopes that I used up to 18X and 20X. At those settings, they were fine.
I also have a 6-24X40mm Bushnell Elite 4200, that is perfectly clear to the outsides of the field of view when set at 24X, which is where it usually is when I'm shooting field rats with it on the .17 Rem.
My M4200 in 8-32X40 on the .222 Sako A1 (at this time) is also perfectly clear on it's highest setting, which is 32X. That is an amazing magnification for shooting at any range. It will focus all the way down to 25yards when set at 32X.
I would use the 8-32X40 for ratting, but it is only a duplex reticle. The M4200 6-24X40 has mil. dots, which are 1 1/2MOA apart when the scope is set at 20X. I have zeros on the bell, on a sticky label for out to 500yards. They work perfectly. Read the range off on the range finder, choose the correct dot and first round hits, right to just over 500yards.
Of course the same scenario can happen with air rifles having stadia wires and/or dots, whether mil or moa.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:29 pm 

Update:

I started with the Discovery ED but had an issue with the the elevation turret. I was able to pay the difference for a Element Helix 6-24x50 FFP. This is a really nice scope. Very clear, really fine reticle (which I love), the multiple hold points are really nice, and I love that it came with both a bikini cover and flip up covers. I love the flip up covers, it's nice to take a shot and close them to keep dust and debris off the lenses. I find I typically leave the scope zoomed in at 24 power, if you leave both eyes open you can acquire your target very quickly.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 11:25 pm 

Glad you are happy now. The element scopes have been getting good reviews on line.