Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: Airgun laws
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:07 pm 

aaronbeethoven wrote:
One question, what if I safely bring the gun, to a friend's property where I have permission to shoot it.
i'd be inclined to think that if responsibly transported, (in a guitar case) and owned/used WITH permission of a responsible overseer, he could be fine (in the long run of it all).

the age restrictions i see relate to purchase only..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:06 pm 

Leon Yrag wrote:
aaronbeethoven wrote:
One question, what if I safely bring the gun, to a friend's property where I have permission to shoot it.
i'd be inclined to think that if responsibly transported, (in a guitar case) and owned/used WITH permission of a responsible overseer, he could be fine (in the long run of it all).

And even that is just a retailer policy for liability protection; no such federal law on the books.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:02 am 

That's what I thought, Murray. Retail policy only on non-firearm air guns.
A sub-500fps air gun, if properly carried, ie: case, should be OK.
I used to take my .22 apart, then wrap the barrel/action and stock in newspaper
and tie them onto my handlebars for transport out to the farm where I shot it.
After making 15yrs. of age, I packed it (shotgun or rifle) on or over my shoulder, Safari-style
cause I was LEGAL, then.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:02 am 

I would still recommend the firearms/PAL course though just for the information gained.It is only going to get harder to obtain the PAL in the future.Times sure have changed for sure.I went from an air rifle to .22lr on my 13 birthday.lol,One thought is it possible to set up an indoor range in a garage or basement?I can get a 12 yard range in my basement if I open doors and position things correctly.Be safe and have fun.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:26 pm 

Leon Yrag wrote:
aaronbeethoven wrote:

Regular firearms are illegal to carry in guitar case, it might not apply to airguns, but they are not regulated firearms, so I wouldn't carry them in guitar case. Just saying.

Why it's illegal to carry your gun in a guitar case, and how R. v. Felawka screwed up the law:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdLZ0wdE7ro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:09 pm 

scanny wrote:
Leon Yrag wrote:
aaronbeethoven wrote:

Regular firearms are illegal to carry in guitar case, it might not apply to airguns, but they are not regulated firearms, so I wouldn't carry them in guitar case. Just saying.

Why it's illegal to carry your gun in a guitar case, and how R. v. Felawka screwed up the law:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdLZ0wdE7ro

That HIS opinion and interpretation of the law. A buddy, called up another firearm lawyer and got a totally different answer, that it was legal. Why I take Ian's advice with a grain of salt. Then again, I don't trust a lawyer giving out free advice. Must not be very busy, to jump on the YT train.

Guess better not use a Backpack, tool bag, tool box, or duffle/hockey bag to transport your firearms.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:14 pm 

Quote:

That HIS opinion and interpretation of the law. A buddy, called up another firearm lawyer and got a totally different answer, that it was legal. Why I take Ian's advice with a grain of salt. Then again, I don't trust a lawyer giving out free advice. Must not be very busy, to jump on the YT train.

Guess better not use a Backpack, tool bag, tool box, or duffle/hockey bag to transport your firearms.

I like to watch Ian because he actually gives very detailed explanation of what his opinion is based on. He might be wrong of course, gun laws are vague and open to interpretation. To me advice to carry gun in guitar case is not 100% safe and I just wanted people to be aware of that. Personally I wouldn't carry a firearm, airgun or even axe in guitar case, since guitar case assumes that there's guitar inside. To me carrying a gun in hockey bag is safer, since it's just a bag for carrying sporting equipment. I might be wrong of course, but proving anybody right in courts is expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:19 pm 

scanny wrote:
Quote:

I like to watch Ian because he actually gives very detailed explanation of what his opinion is based on. He might be wrong of course, gun laws are vague and open to interpretation. To me advice to carry gun in guitar case is not 100% safe and I just wanted people to be aware of that. Personally I wouldn't carry a firearm, airgun or even axe in guitar case, since guitar case assumes that there's guitar inside. To me carrying a gun in hockey bag is safer, since it's just a bag for carrying sporting equipment. I might be wrong of course, but proving anybody right in courts is expensive.

You know what happens when you assume? So means a backpack can only have school work in it, or tool.bag tools? It is called being discrete.

I remember the crap I went thru living in an apartment going to the range. Wish I had a guitar case. Would saved headaches.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:37 pm 

This is why the SCC's findings in the R. V. Felawka case are so bad.

I agree that ANY case is a good case for carrying firearms, however now case law states if in a case, ie: gun
case, THAT case must now be marked as holding firearms. The only exception, it seems, is if the case is shaped
like a firearm (long arm?). That itself was spelled out in the Court's ruling. If the case is not gun shaped, it must
be labeled as holding gun/s - ie: handgun & shotgun "suit" cases and rectangular rifle cases. This, of course is
downright silly and is the court making new laws by 'case law'. So - what's the law?
Just don't do or say, silly or stupid 'things'.
What Felawka did was both silly and stupid.

" If the case is not gun shaped, etc" was an interpretation of mine.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:11 pm 

Daryl wrote:
This is why the SCC's findings in the R. V. Felawka case are so bad.

I agree that ANY case is a good case for carrying firearms, however now case law states if in a case, ie: gun
case, THAT case must now be marked as holding firearms. The only exception, it seems, is if the case is shaped
like a firearm (long arm?). That itself was spelled out in the Court's ruling. If the case is not gun shaped, it must
be labeled as holding gun/s - ie: handgun & shotgun "suit" cases and rectangular rifle cases. This, of course is
downright silly and is the court making new laws by 'case law'. So - what's the law?
Just don't do or say, silly or stupid 'things'.
What Felawka did was both silly and stupid.

" If the case is not gun shaped, etc" was an interpretation of mine.

That is mainly what my buddy called to enquire about. Because someone told him that cases needed to be marked containing a firearm, and that guy was selling patches stating firearms inside. That firearm lawyer told him he was not required, and contradicting what Ian says. The old bulleyes guys I learned to shoot with, their wooded cases, were not marked, and looked like old school wooden tool boxes.

I showed up many times shooting with retired police officers, PCC. With my case inside a backpack, or tool bag.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:14 pm 

This is normal.

Last edited by Daryl on Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:19 pm 

Here's one of mine.

Attachments:
PC292178.jpg
PC292178.jpg [ 74.73 KiB | Viewed 50 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:11 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Here's one of mine.

LOL Nice box good info for the Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:37 pm 

It's probably been 10 years now but D&L used to sell the Rohm Desperado air rifle and it came in a guitar case! :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:07 pm 

Benny wrote:
It's probably been 10 years now but D&L used to sell the Rohm Desperado air rifle and it came in a guitar case! :)

That's funny, Benny. :lol: :lol: