Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Hello From Nova Scotia!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:32 pm 

Hi guys!

I am so exited to be here and back into playing with airguns. A little bit of background, in my youth, like 10-14, I owned a Diana 34 if I remember correctly, it has been a very long time, I am in my 40s! I could shoot a fly if I could see it! I moved when I was 14 and left my airgun behind.

I recently have been given a Diana Mangrum 350! This thing has been packed away for years and needs love. I can see surface rust. So I purchased a bunch of oil and chamber oil and spring oil. I realize I need a FAC for this thing which is CRAZY. I have been playing with pellet guns that shoot faster than 500fps before I reached puberty! I would like some advise as to what I should do to this gun before using it considering it sat for so long. I was never an expert as maintaining my pellet gun as a kid but I used to run oil and bits of rag through the barrel to clean it, and oiled the surfaces and joints and spring and chamber, but I never really followed proper instructions. Any advise for proper oiling and cleaning? I watched a few videos but they all seem to just drop oil and wipe. I feel like I used to do more as a kid.

So I wanna do things right, I want to get an FAC. I don't really know much about the gun laws here, how serious is playing with this thing without one? Should I lock it up till I get one? It currently is locked up. I am still waiting on my oils to clean and service it. Please don't be harsh on me. I am honestly only here to know what you guys tell me the proper thing to do and do it. I really didn't know I need a license when I got this and I am willing to give it back to hold on to it till I get my license if that is the right thing to do. I don't want any trouble. I also am curious as to how hard it is to do it? I live in a remote area and no classes are offered at the moment due to covid. I do see online courses, does anyone have experience with them? Do you just go through it and then you are licensed?

We used to hunt with pellet guns in Cyprus, which is where I was when I owned one. It was common for people to hunt birds and rabbits with them. I understand that is a no no here. How come? Can you use them for pest control? I have been reading what I can in the little time I have had to research before I found this place and figured I would post some questions here as I search for all the answers.

So the last part of my big post is to let you guys know I am ordering a Diana 240 for my 10 year old daughter. She has taken a liking to knives, bb guns, and bows, she is missing a real pellet gun, so soon she will join as as well.

Please advise me as to what I should do, if I can play with my gun or if I better not, and help me get my gun and my licensing all up to date with a bit of advice and direction.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:41 pm 

Hi and welcome to the forum.
You already know the answer to your biggest question, and that is it is illegal for you to have possession of the Diana 350 which is a PAL rated firearm. Possession and Acquisition License (PAL) is what you need to possess it - you should have provided proof to whoever gave it to you that you have such a license, which you don't. So give it to someone who has their PAL to hold for you until you get your PAL or simply trade it for a Non-PAL rifle and you and your daughter can be legal.
Keep safe, shoot safe (and legal).

Duke ))))----//----------==

Air guns? I have a few; but then again, too few to mention.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:50 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
Hi and welcome to the forum.
You already know the answer to your biggest question, and that is it is illegal for you to have possession of the Diana 350 which is a PAL rated firearm. Possession and Acquisition License (PAL) is what you need to possess it - you should have provided proof to whoever gave it to you that you have such a license, which you don't. So give it to someone who has their PAL to hold for you until you get your PAL or simply trade it for a Non-PAL rifle and you and your daughter can be legal.
Keep safe, shoot safe (and legal).

Yeah he has a license, I don't think he was aware or he didn't care. I certainly wasn't until A couple of days ago when I was researching cleaning this thing and buying products and looking at pellet guns for kiddo. he is an older man that found out I had a Diana. I don't think he uses any of his guns at his age. I will give it back to him to hold on to it. These questions popped up to me when I was looking all this up.

Thanks guys. I was kinda nervous with it so I wanted to ask here. I am glad I did.

Any experience with those online courses for PAL? They used to give in person courses here but covid has canceled them. I would like to start the process ASAP! Ill probably sign up and do one this evening if I can.

Any idea why they are so strict with air guns? I am really surprised. I see posts of people using pellet guns for small game in NB, I don't think we are allowed here in NS :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:59 pm 

No online courses, you have to go in person for practical training. Sign up for when the lockdown is lifted.

8 hours for your non-restricted, and 6 hours for your restricted. You can get your full R-PAL in a weekend, and just wait for it to arrive. The lead time has varied from a few weeks to a few months.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:03 pm 

So I am digging around here at the laws and stuff, it looks like those online courses are more like scams, you have to take the in person course to get anything.

I went back to looking at the courses offered in my area, it looks like they finally put a list out and it is already full!

I called them and left a message see what I can do, and I called the old guy he did know about the gun but assumes I had a license lol. Anyway he will hold onto it for me while I sort that out.

What a bummer, I ordered targets and a bunch of stuff! Oh well they will be ready when my kiddo gets her 240.

Which is also strange because it is out of stock EVERYWHERE.

I dunno if I should wait or just get her a different brand, although I have been talking up the 240 for her with stories from my childhood lol.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:05 pm 

replicacanada wrote:
No online courses, you have to go in person for practical training. Sign up for when the lockdown is lifted.

8 hours for your non-restricted, and 6 hours for your restricted. You can get your full R-PAL in a weekend, and just wait for it to arrive. The lead time has varied from a few weeks to a few months.

Alright thank you, I am glad I did not try one of those online "prep" courses. I guess it is just a waiting game to catch a course here in time for it not to be instantly filled up...

How hard is it to detune the 350 to comply? Is that an easy option? I have stumbled on people changing springs on some airguns to make them more or less powerful, is that something for pros and I should stay away as a beginner?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:54 pm 

I called them and emailed them and they got back to me!

They said the reason there were no lists is covid, and the reason it filled up instantly is because lots were registered before covid, so when they cancled classes they rescheduled all the people the canceled right away.

That being said, she squeezed me into a course on Feb 27th!!

I will give my old neighbor the gun, I don't have any oils or anything yet, and I am still waiting for an airgun to come in stock for my kiddo. I guess I jumped the gun in joining and introducing myself since apparently I don't have an airgun lol. I am glad I joined and got set straight. Growing up with a pellet gun I really feel like it is silly and downplayed the seriousness but at the same time I really don't want to get in trouble for illegal firearm over a silly air gun and thanks for setting me in the right direction.

I will be reading up on everything between now and then, and when I have a pellet gun again, either the 350 or 240 I will post again with pictures.

I really want to know what to do with that 350 since it has been sitting for 10 years, he said it was barely ever shot. I don't think he ever serviced it or anything. It looks like he acquired it and just packed it. Is just a good oiling all it needs? Should I break it in with really heavy pellets to slow the spring down and minimize the forces on it?

I would like to know exactly what I need to do to it so I can do it as soon as I have the oils and PAL. I am kinda worried the chamber is rusty and something will blow when I use it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:18 pm 

I am glad you are going about this in the correct manner.
In the meantime, you could buy a Diana or HW 34, sub 500fps rifle, if you can find one.
Welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:38 pm 

Daryl wrote:
I am glad you are going about this in the correct manner.
In the meantime, you could buy a Diana or HW 34, sub 500fps rifle, if you can find one.
Welcome to the forum.

I have been looking for a sub 500 one since before Christmas for my daughter, and I would love a Weihrauch that is sub 500 bucks if I can afford one, but I can't find any anywhere. I found a place with Diana Elevens but I don't know if I like it. She likes the wood 240. I think the 240 would be a cool gun for her to use and I can sneak a few shots and love it. I don't want to rush into getting a sub 500 one for me now that I have access to that 350, he is giving it to me and it looks like a nice pellet gun, I just worry that it won't work well or last long since its been sitting uncared for for about a decade.

Once I get my license, I can get whatever I want, I will find a nice daily Weihrauch since I've been reading so much about them. I thought Diana was the best and I absolutely loved mine and put hundreds of thousands of pellets through it. It is all I did. Parents almost went broke buying me pellets. I can't help wanting to try Weihrauch. I think the model I had was a 340 not a 34 looking them up, it did not have fiberoptic sights. It had the standard sights with a cool rear side that was a square with different sights you flip to. I think I want one of those on the 350, it has a weird looking sight that is crooked.

That 350 is also heavy as hell. It would be fun to play with but I don't know if I wanna play with that all day.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:43 pm 

Magnum/type air guns are heavy, as are the higher end HW's & Diana rifles.
There are inexpensive air rifles, Gamo, some sold by Remington, Ruger etc,
that in low power (non PAL) are quite accurate. Cdn Tire and other shops
sell them. Some guys are quite happy with their Princess Auto air rifles.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:14 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Magnum/type air guns are heavy, as are the higher end HW's & Diana rifles.
There are inexpensive air rifles, Gamo, some sold by Remington, Ruger etc,
that in low power (non PAL) are quite accurate. Cdn Tire and other shops
sell them. Some guys are quite happy with their Princess Auto air rifles.

No I am getting either Diana or HW, I like german, and I think the world of Diana because I grew up with them and it was better than all the pellet guns I used. I loved it. I can't believe HW seems to be rated even better, but it is German too and I an willing to try it. I am sure I will love it, and since I will have 2 Dianas, It would be a nice change as well. A good mid power HW. I see people praising the HW95 a lot. It will fit well with the low power 240, and high power 350. As long as it is not too heavy I think it would be an awesome daily shooter.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:44 pm 

Nothing better than a HW30 in your case, full power.22 or detuned sub 500fps 177 shuld meet your request ~

I want a Diana in the beginning, however the new Diana looks not as good as the HW now. And if budget allowed, the made in England Air Arms (AA) has some good springers too!

Edit......

Re read your post above, the HW30 should be similar to the Diana 240. I believe it would be better tho, the power and size should be very similar.

And mid power in between, thinking you are looking for some 12ft.lbs (12fpe) rifles according to UK standard which non FAC models... But it will be still PAL rated guns need licence in Canada.

And there are some rifles made for Target shooting /competition which are 177 calibers at 650fps to 750fps which lower than 12fpe (about 8fpe). They are dead on accurate and very smooth shooting cycle, and maybe even recoiless.

Have fun again!!

HW45 with customized grips from UK
Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine
Camo Chaser long barrel carbine
PP700SA long barrel carbine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:20 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Nothing better than a HW30 in your case, full power.22 or detuned sub 500fps 177 shuld meet your request ~

I want a Diana in the beginning, however the new Diana looks not as good as the HW now. And if budget allowed, the made in England Air Arms (AA) has some good springers too!

Edit......

Re read your post above, the HW30 should be similar to the Diana 240. I believe it would be better tho, the power and size should be very similar.

And mid power in between, thinking you are looking for some 12ft.lbs (12fpe) rifles according to UK standard which non FAC models... But it will be still PAL rated guns need licence in Canada.

And there are some rifles made for Target shooting /competition which are 177 calibers at 650fps to 750fps which lower than 12fpe (about 8fpe). They are dead on accurate and very smooth shooting cycle, and maybe even recoiless.

Have fun again!!

Oh man I looked it up, and you are right, it seems to be a TINY bit lighter even for her, and its 2lb less cocking weight, yet produces more fps speed! I love it but I would need to get an PAL and it can't be her pellet gun at 10. They even have it in stock... bummer lol. It is also twice the price of the 240 pretty much. I will consider it and wait till things stock up, maybe I will get her the 240 after all since it is pretty cheap, and I can get myself a nicer HW. I would rather not pay twice, and pay more to detune it. I have lots of time to think about it between getting my PAL / them getting new stock / me saving money or robbing a bank.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:33 am 

Quote:
I guess I jumped the gun in joining and introducing myself since apparently I don't have an airgun lol. I am glad I joined and got set straight.

Your honesty and respect for the law are truly appreciated by all members who are following and contributing to your thread. And your "why" questions about the law are shared by people who have been on this forum since its inception. You are in good company. Stick around.

Your respect for brands such as Diana and Weihrauch are indicative of your familiarity with our sport and its suppliers. I would suggest, however, that you continue your research because lots of things have changed in the last ten years. For example, while Weihrauch remains true to tradition, Diana has undertaken marketing (read money) philosophies that include selling their trademark and producing guns outside of their heritage Germany. (That is NOT to say respect for the brand is diminishing - but rather that traditional brands are not the same as they were before global marketing through the Internet.

I'm always happy to see when Dukemeister is at the top of the reply list in posts like this: His responses are always clear, concise, and directly to the point. So, I reiterate his point: the first thing you should do is get that PAL rifle (temporarily) into the hands of a PAL holder. No registration or transfer issues involved (unless you're in Quebec) -- you can simple give it to someone to care for it for a while.

As a second step, Grab that opportunity to take the PAL course at the end of February. That certainly opens up your options, but not immediately. Once you receive and then forward your PAL certification documents and application (plus required attachments) to the feds, you'll have to wait from a month or two to a year to receive the card you need to acquire and possess a PAL-rated (air gun or powder-burner).

Now that you're in the waiting mode, you might want to buy a "starter gun" to pass the time. In today's airgun market, there are many options in well-respected gun lines that are easy to convert from non-regulated to PAL-rated guns after you receive your ticket. I won't go into options here, but be assured if you post that question on the forum, you will get several if not many suggestions.

Finally, if you're looking for suggestions for a youth rifle for your daughter, use a separate post on the forum to ask for recommendations on that specific issue. It's always easier to get better answers to your questions if you limit your posts to one question (and remind people, if necessary, that "X" is the question you asked, so, "please stay on topic."

Enjoy your new adventure; I hope this post has provided some assistance. If not, just remember how much you paid for the advice. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:24 am 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
Quote:
I guess I jumped the gun in joining and introducing myself since apparently I don't have an airgun lol. I am glad I joined and got set straight.

Your honesty and respect for the law are truly appreciated by all members who are following and contributing to your thread. And your "why" questions about the law are shared by people who have been on this forum since its inception. You are in good company. Stick around.

Your respect for brands such as Diana and Weihrauch are indicative of your familiarity with our sport and its suppliers. I would suggest, however, that you continue your research because lots of things have changed in the last ten years. For example, while Weihrauch remains true to tradition, Diana has undertaken marketing (read money) philosophies that include selling their trademark and producing guns outside of their heritage Germany. (That is NOT to say respect for the brand is diminishing - but rather that traditional brands are not the same as they were before global marketing through the Internet.

I'm always happy to see when Dukemeister is at the top of the reply list in posts like this: His responses are always clear, concise, and directly to the point. So, I reiterate his point: the first thing you should do is get that PAL rifle (temporarily) into the hands of a PAL holder. No registration or transfer issues involved (unless you're in Quebec) -- you can simple give it to someone to care for it for a while.

As a second step, Grab that opportunity to take the PAL course at the end of February. That certainly opens up your options, but not immediately. Once you receive and then forward your PAL certification documents and application (plus required attachments) to the feds, you'll have to wait from a month or two to a year to receive the card you need to acquire and possess a PAL-rated (air gun or powder-burner).

Now that you're in the waiting mode, you might want to buy a "starter gun" to pass the time. In today's airgun market, there are many options in well-respected gun lines that are easy to convert from non-regulated to PAL-rated guns after you receive your ticket. I won't go into options here, but be assured if you post that question on the forum, you will get several if not many suggestions.

Finally, if you're looking for suggestions for a youth rifle for your daughter, use a separate post on the forum to ask for recommendations on that specific issue. It's always easier to get better answers to your questions if you limit your posts to one question (and remind people, if necessary, that "X" is the question you asked, so, "please stay on topic."

Enjoy your new adventure; I hope this post has provided some assistance. If not, just remember how much you paid for the advice. :lol:

Thank you for your response. I did notice a few Dianas mentioned to be produced in China, and I have been looking at WH guns and I really like them. I don't know if I want to get one though for kiddo with their price just yet just in case she doesn't get into it. Sticking to a cheap Diana 240 still gives her an easy gun to cock made in Germany, it is 1/2 the price of the WH equivalent, and if she likes it, when she gets the hang of shooting and builds some strength, we can get her a PAL and a nicer WH! Ill totally be up for that. I would like a WH30 if she is serious about it and I will get her a PAL as well to go with it. I also want a WH for me now, not sure which one yet, I like high power ones but I think shooting one all day will be painful. I need to look into the different types of spring guns, I have read some designs claim to be recoilless. I would not mind something like that. I need to watch what I spend because I already got so exited and purchased targets, pellets, oil, rags, cleaning rods lol. I will use them all, I just need to make sure I don't spend 400 dollars on a gun neither one of us will use, since I am planning on 2 WH's as a next step probably all within this year :) It would be nice to have spare guns that don't require an PAL for visitors, they can play with the 240 :)

I can't find any gun for me right now either, all the nice ones I want are out of stock and/or require PALs. I think they expect some 240 in stock in a couple of weeks, that will get us both started till more stock comes in and my PAL as well. If you bend my arm enough I can skip the 240 and get a WH30S detuned or in .22 if it were in stock somewhere!