Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:51 pm 

That's a nice one lauchlin, how do you find the difference between the digital and analog dial gauge when using it? is the digital accurate enough?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:14 am 

Gippeto wrote:
With practice, it's not a big deal to dial in a 4 jaw...check out Abom79 on youtube.

Off center turning is a pretty handy thing to have in the bag 'o tricks...

Dang it Al, maybe you're right...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:21 pm 

Are you calling me an enabler Jack? :shock:

Could be lol. Whats that? Rotary table? Indexing plates? :idea:

Handy bit of kit...really.

Al

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:57 am 

Gippeto wrote:
Are you calling me an enabler Jack? :shock:

All I'm saying is that shortly after we talk machining I usually end up with more tools and less money :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:29 pm 

I think I've always referred to it as a sickness. :)

Based on personal experience, I must inform you that support group "therapy sessions" only serve to accelerate rapid onset "tool room growth". It's a serious issue with no known cure, but take heart that there are some treatments that do help.

"Tool shop-us" and "Tool view-us" take the edge off the itch, but much improved relief is available when coincidentally applied with "Wallet open-us" and "Tool buy-us".

Some have tried "Part make-us", but this often has side effects (Tool I NEED-us) that can greatly accelerate the desire to scratch the itch of "tool room growth".

Despite the inherent risks, I should note that I have found an interesting side benefit to utilizing "Tool use-us" and "Part make-us" in conjunction with "Polish the heck out of it!" This particularly invaluable combination can have an amazingly positive effect on efforts to maintain the stability of Wife model 1.0 :shock:

I believe the reason for this is a close relationship to the genus Corvis, which have the trait of readily re-focusing their attentions at the introduction of shiny baubles.

:drinkers:

Al

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:28 pm 

sounds like some intervention is called for.... :mrgreen: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:32 pm 

Intervention?? Nah. I'm with smeagol on this one :lol:
Been wanting a lathe since I was a kid, I'd go with my dad to our neighbors to hang out in his shop. He had a big ol' lathe. He was a gunsmith, a mechanic, a boxer, a boxing coach, a British military hand to hand combat instructor... and someone I looked up to quite a lot. Did it all that guy. Even killed a bear with a fishing knife :lol:

Anyway, I picked up a cx704 the other day and already my list of needs has grown a lot. I know I know... It's too small, but the price was right and it came with some tools. Good for learning. I already have some of the fundamentals down from playing with the drill lathe. And if/when I decide to go bigger I'll easily get my money back on this one.

Thanks for all the insight everyone, most of what was mentioned in this thread I had no idea about. Gotta start somewhere!

Now... Stay tuned for some cool stuff... Maybe... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:19 am 

Gippeto wrote:
I believe the reason for this is a close relationship to the genus Corvis, which have the trait of readily re-focusing their attentions at the introduction of shiny baubles.

She's behind you isn't she :D :D :D

killercrow wrote:
Gotta start somewhere!

Indeed!

Something you might find interesting as a first project with every step explained in detail: pneumatic pen gun

If you scroll through you will find the drawings for each part as well as a little video.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:10 pm 

That is pretty cool. I have other plans though. Being that I'm a concrete cutter for my day job, I plan to build a miniature wire saw. Just for gits and shiggles. Check it out
https://www.hilti.ca/c/CLS_POWER_TOOLS_ ... 7124/r2131

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:50 pm 

Looks like a craftsman 101 , 6" . I have one . That thing is as old as I am, I'm 78. Kinda gives you an Idea of how they made things back then.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:05 pm 

Back when things were built properly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:10 am 

My Moodie lathe was built in 1945, my South Bend in 1947.

There is much truth in the saying "lathe owners spend more time making specialized tooling that they may use once, or not at all". I have a ball-turning tool post I made. Still have it. Took hours to make. I have used it exactly once. I made mandrels for bolt actions to square up the action faces prior to fitting a barrel. They get used every once in a while, and get lent out to a few of my trusted gunsmithing friends.
I'm currently eyeing a 4" four jaw chuck for my Southie. Do I need it? Nope. I have a perfectly good 6" four jaw, but I want the smaller one too. The rabbit hole is deep.

Too soon old too late smart.