Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon May 17, 2021 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:22 pm 

I'm finally looking at buying a small hobby lathe in the near future.
Looking at this one here.

https://www.busybeetools.com/products/l ... cx704.html

Will I be able to build valves and do threading and all that good stuff with this?
Not sure where else to look. I realize I have a lot of learning to do...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:35 pm 

cool little lathe
good price too... 8)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:40 pm 
Supporting Members

Thats a great starter lathe. Yes you will be able to use it to thread. For a valve you will need a boring bar to do internal threads. You can also learn how to grind your bits for the application you are using them for. You may want to upgrade the motor at some point. They are easy to swap out and make a world of difference. Another great option is adding a 4 way adjustable vise on its side to do milling. Have fun with that!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:33 pm 

Dangerous asking for my .02...but....

Would keep an eye on Kijiji and FB marketplace. With patience, better lathes can be had for the same or a bit more money, and often come with tooling that's worth a considerable amount if you have to purchase it separately.

Doesn't look like it comes with a drill chuck...that's usually two pieces (chuck and arbor) that you have to purchase and assemble.

That said...once tooled up it will do what you're wanting "today"...it's down the road that the regrets about buying "small" start piling up.

In all seriousness, would suggest looking for something with a minimum of 1" through the spindle bore. This would allow you to easily face, bore and thread full length 7/8" (22xx) sized tubing.

Al

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:22 pm 

Very good points Al, I did look at it as pretty bare minimum. Im probably looking at spending as much on tools as the lathe itself aren't I. And 1" is better than what that little one has.

I'll look around, maybe I'll find a better deal.

Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:24 am 

I second what Al said, the distance between centers can be quite limiting... 12" is not a lot if for example you need to us a 1/2" drill bit.

I splashed out for the CX708 and added digital readouts, loving it so far. It was a team effort to get it into the basement though, cost me a fortune in beer and pizza :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:33 am 

Ah I didn't even think about that part, using up room with bits and tools. So am I correct in thinking I can turn a piece of tube or bar that is longer than the 12"? Is there a hole straight thru the chuck and gears and gearbox?

Also, 3 jaw vs 4 jaw Chuck's. What's the difference? 4 jaws is just better or is that more so I can turn square stock?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:42 am 

killercrow wrote:
Ah I didn't even think about that part, using up room with bits and tools. So am I correct in thinking I can turn a piece of tube or bar that is longer than the 12"? Is there a hole straight thru the chuck and gears and gearbox?

When we talk about "spindle bore", it refers to the inner diameter of the spindle.

So if you have a 3/4" spindle bore, then a 1" diameter part isn't going to fit through it, so you are limited to the distance between centers.

Quote:
Also, 3 jaw vs 4 jaw Chuck's. What's the difference? 4 jaws is just better or is that more so I can turn square stock?

A 4 jaw chuck is a pain to set up, so you generally won't use it unless you absolutely need it.

A self centering 3 jaw is what you will use for the vast majority of operations.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:58 pm 

3 jaw chuck are usually self centering, but (particularly at a budget level) there will almost always be runout...the part is never truly spinning true. It's not usually a big deal and can be worked around by marking the work and chuck to preserve "timing". (chuck, backing plate and spindle should all be stamped with alignment marks for this reason)

With a 4 jaw and dial indicator/base, you can dial the part in "dead nuts" if you want. You can also do off center turning or chuck up parts that are not round. Could be used to drill/bore holes for a barrel band if you don't have a mill. With practice, it's not a big deal to dial in a 4 jaw...check out Abom79 on youtube.

Off center turning is a pretty handy thing to have in the bag 'o tricks...

Al

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:38 pm 

Pretty cool piece of workmanship, Al, and nicely finished too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:36 pm 

very nice work Al... 8)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:19 pm 

A good quality 3 jaw self-centering chuck will hold .001-.002 TIR (total indicated runout). Having said that, I bought a Chinese manufactured steel 5" 3 jaw self-centering chuck for my South Bend 9A that I restored. The chuck was advertised as having a .003" TIR. After careful fitting to a new backing plate it gives a consistent .002" TIR. My Polish manufactured 5" 3 jaw chuck on my larger lathe runs .0015" TIR. The polish chuck cost almost 10 times the cost of the Chinese chuck. Go figure. Would I recommend the Chinese chuck for a production shop? Nope. The size of the jaws and the mortices in which they move are much more robust on the Polish chuck. I bought the Chinese chuck from cdco tools in USA.
I mostly use a three jaw chuck 'cuz I'm lazy and a hacker. I have and use a 6" 4 jaw chuck but centering the work is slow. (A master machinist centers a 4 jaw chuck in about 30 seconds). I often make up new words when I use it, but I wouldn't be without one. In fact, I'm contemplating buying a smaller 4" 4 jaw chuck for my Southie.
I own British, Japanese, American, Polish, Czech, and Chinese measuring tools. I find no difference in accuracy among them. Smoothness of operation? Oh yeah. The $100++ Mitutoyo dial caliper is a lot smoother than the $17 (all stainless steel!) Chinese caliper.
Owning a metal lathe is a very deep rabbit hole. Welcome to the club.
Once your friends find out you can run a lathe, you're going to become popular. I made some parts for my neighbour who builds diesel dragsters. He gave me a ride in a 10 second diesel pickup. Good Lord.

Too soon old too late smart.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:48 pm 

To bad your not closer i have a little lathe in my shop i would let go cheap its never used here to small for me
Mine is like one in pic

Attachments:
2012-09-03 19.30.27bla bla.jpg
2012-09-03 19.30.27bla bla.jpg [ 64.88 KiB | Viewed 285 times ]

VE7SHM/VE7ZJ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:56 pm 

I just saw an ad last night for 2 of those with tools and parts for 1300$ in Calgary and now I can't find it again!
I imagine shipping something like that would cost a fortune.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:48 pm 

This is one in my shop ....and no idea what shipping is i payed 300 for it all

Attachments:
IMG_1358.jpg
IMG_1358.jpg [ 2.06 MiB | Viewed 266 times ]
IMG_1360.jpg
IMG_1360.jpg [ 2.49 MiB | Viewed 266 times ]

VE7SHM/VE7ZJ