Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:46 pm 

..and if the Feds don't get ya, :axe:
the provinces will. :( :? :x :cry: :evil: :roll: :!: :?: :| :butthead: :rolleyes: :drinkers: :hsmash

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/326817/BC-to-ban-sale-of-BB-pellet-guns-to-youth

Tracey Wilson, CCFR

Last edited by Leon Yrag on Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:56 pm 

Well I mean, i never could have bought a pellet gun in BC until I was 18. I think it was 18, Maybe 16. That was in the 90s.

But seriously, what moron is selling pellet guns to actual kids? Walmart?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:26 am 

killercrow wrote:
Well I mean, i never could have bought a pellet gun in BC until I was 18. I think it was 18, Maybe 16. That was in the 90s.

But seriously, what moron is selling pellet guns to actual kids? Walmart?

Agreed.
I am new to this and it has been very much controlled at 3-4 retailers I have purchased in. Online maybe not so much but maybe they already know I am 70+ :)

I do note "It is our policy to sell airguns and airgun ammunition only to persons 18 years of age or older. Airguns and airgun ammunition are not sold where prohibited by law. Airguns do not require a firearms licence." on Canadian Tire site so maybe not law at this point!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:28 am 

Yeah... They never described what's 'young' means in the article... 6 years old, 16 years old or 18 years old?? (I am young in my heart too... [emoji38])

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:58 am 

What's completely silly about this announcement is the fact that it's already banned to sell to youth. 18+ on airguns, already a law.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:21 am 

NorthernBallistics wrote:
What's completely silly about this announcement is the fact that it's already banned to sell to youth. 18+ on airguns, already a law.
Yes! Exactly ~

Silly writers and editors~ they just know nothing regarding the thing they posted~

Just like the lady's 911 was broken on the road and found the reason was the engine gone. Because she didn't see the engine on the front of the Porsche...

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:25 pm 
Supporting Members

The reason this article was published was purely fear mongering......they know it is currently a touchy subject, and are looking to benefit off it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:10 pm 

100%

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:54 pm 

Well, that makes happy I grew up before some of the non sens...
- At 12, we'd go to the hardware store (with the rifle on our back) to go buy pellets

At to make matter worse (it would probably be considered child labour today) but when we ran out of pellets and $, we'd look for work!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:00 pm 

My dad told me about the time he bought his first .22, was a cooey of some sort. He walked into the McLeod's home hardware store in Kimberley, paid cash for the rifle and walked home with it slung over his shoulder. Might have been 13 at the time.

I can only wish I had grown up in a different time. Like in the wild west! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:19 pm 

In May of 1965, I turned 15yrs. old and challenged and passed the Ontario Hunting License test & could therefore
legally buy a rifle or shotgun (I bought a 20 bore single shot for $5.00 from George Wood Guns at 100 Hamilton Road,
London Ontario. I had already been hunting with my own .22 Ace (Cooey) single shot since I received it from my uncle,
an RCMP Cpl. when I turned 12 yrs. old. We, my bro and I had a low powered .177 Slavia air rifle since I was about 6 or 7,
that we hunted with, squirrels, sparrows and starlings, right in Dorchester, but only in our yards or our friend's yards. LOL
Once on a hike down by the mill pond, we had a couple Starlings for lunch. LOL - tough they were, & very strong tasting
black meat, roasted on a stick over a camp fire. LOL - like it was yesterday.
Compared to today, that seems to have been a good time to grow up, indeed. I do remember borrowing a class mate's high
powered German Air rifle - maybe 1963 or 64 and it was a lot better on squirrels, especially the bigger greys and fox squirrels.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:28 am 

My father was a OPP police officer in Kitchener. Bought me a pellet gun at age 9. Used to sling it over my shoulder and walk the streets of Kitchener to local parks. Kids my age on swings and slides and me in a 4X4 bush waiting on a bird to land in the right spot. Got my first 22 powder burner at age 12. Always went deer hunting with my Dad at a very young age and sit with him. I was fully licence to hunt on my own at age 15. How times have changed and not for the good. I am not the criminal.

Dad would always hang his police belt with his loaded pistol in the basement of our house and I would walk by it many times each day and never once did I ever touch it. It was something I never even thought of doing. I was brought up with guns and was taught to respect them.

CHEERS!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:16 pm 

Exactly!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:37 pm 

Yup, I feel bad for kids these days. I was lucky enough to get away with a little bit of lawlessness but nothing like the stories I hear.

Still had a .22 at 13 years old. Grew up in a rural area so it was fine. Had a big old bush mutt to watch over me and life was good. Til I grew up. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:58 pm 

During my high school days, we have 2 years of military training subject in the school where I come from, and this is mandatory, then, 2 years also of the same subject in college or university. I always wonder if this curriculum is much better to be brought back to educate this generation to bring discipline and also awareness. I believe that violent video games is more influential in all this gun related incident nowadays.

wheeliehd wrote:
My father was a OPP police officer in Kitchener. Bought me a pellet gun at age 9. Used to sling it over my shoulder and walk the streets of Kitchener to local parks. Kids my age on swings and slides and me in a 4X4 bush waiting on a bird to land in the right spot. Got my first 22 powder burner at age 12. Always went deer hunting with my Dad at a very young age and sit with him. I was fully licence to hunt on my own at age 15. How times have changed and not for the good. I am not the criminal.

Dad would always hang his police belt with his loaded pistol in the basement of our house and I would walk by it many times each day and never once did I ever touch it. It was something I never even thought of doing. I was brought up with guns and was taught to respect them.

CHEERS!