Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:42 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
I vaguely remember doing a poll some time ago on the age of CAF members, i believe it showed that the active CAF members are a geriatric crowd. Younger members don't hang out on Forums.

ya, busy off robbing banks or the local 7-Eleven with their Daisy 15XTs no doubt. :roll:

Tracey Wilson, CCFR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:22 pm 

Leon Yrag wrote:
Dukemeister wrote:
I vaguely remember doing a poll some time ago on the age of CAF members, i believe it showed that the active CAF members are a geriatric crowd. Younger members don't hang out on Forums.

ya, busy off robbing banks or the local 7-Eleven with their Daisy 15XTs no doubt. :roll:

I was just telling my wife that so far all that have answered are let’s say senior guys such as myself.

Well I’m 61, have had air rifles in my hands since I was 8-9yrs old.
Growing up my sister had a farm (much older than me) and that when I started with .22 powder burners, shotguns and still air rifles.
I often think if at that time we had the HW’s and FX that I have now how amazing that would have
Many years ago I use to shoot compound bows at tournaments, that was a lot of fun.

Because of Covid I haven’t done much shooting, for air rifles there just isn’t anywhere to shoot anymore, for sporting clay I would drive to Galt shooting club.
Other than that, I enjoy photography, F1, cooking and just a little while ago I bought a drone so I’ve been playing with that.

Thats me with my late buddy Jack.

Attachments:
0ED8DA47-00D0-419C-94E8-74A46BD2EA13.jpeg
0ED8DA47-00D0-419C-94E8-74A46BD2EA13.jpeg [ 47.55 KiB | Viewed 545 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:25 pm 

I am turning 40 is a few days... Don't feel so old anymore reading this thread. :wink: I like it though, the age group is pretty suprising.

Well I was taught gun safety and shooting by my dad when I was young. Probably 5 or 6 when he started bringing me along to the shooting range. I remember shooting his .22 for the first time and scoping myself with it. :lol:

Anyway, around 7 or 8 I got a red Ryder of Christmas, had a good time terrorizing the yard with it. Then at 12 I got really interested in air guns, saved up my money and bought a Benjamin 397. Boy were those squirrels doomed at that point. Even my dog at that point was a squirrel hunter. His reaction to a rifle was comparable to the dog who gets excited when he sees his leash :lol:

Then at 14 I got a .22. spent every bit of spare time exploring the woods where I grew up. Now there's roads everywhere, I recently showed my mom where I used to hang out and she freaked, "you were this far from home???" Well yeah, a kid needs to explore!

Found this forum when I heard you could modify pellet guns for power, and they were right! That was in 2005 I think. Spent a lot of time Tinkering with whatever I could get my hands on. I enjoy building and customizing more than shooting probably.

Then I got a pal, cuz my dad was all bent out of shape since I was just playing with pellet guns. "You gotta get some real guns" he says. So I did. Took up reloading, was heavy into it for a while then I just got bored of it. Until covid. Opened up some boxes of pellet gun parts and here I am again. :lol:

Oh forgot to mention. Now that my dad is in his 60s now, he has really been looking at airguns... Finally

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:36 pm 

Here's my PAL picture from last Spring.
Uncropped, of course.

Attachments:
PAL Picture.JPG
PAL Picture.JPG [ 345.73 KiB | Viewed 539 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:03 pm 

I hate to say it, but it appears I'm the Ol' Dude here - I'm 81 (82 in July). I had my first gun (?) a pump cork gun when I was 5-6 yrs old (I still have it) that I carried pheasant hunting with my dad. I graduated to a Daisy pump BB gun (I still have it at my brothers place) when I was 8-9, had my hunting license when I turned 16, and my first Model 12 Winchester by my 17th birthday. I was constantly hunting pheasants, rabbits and squirrels, but my life long passion was duck hunting. Nothing like trying to hit a crossing Canvasback or Bluebill when they have a 30 mph tailwind on Lake Erie - LOL! Sadly I & my brothers gave up duck hunting when lead shot was banned. I just do not believe in steel shot and 3 1/2 inch shot shells.

When I retired from BMO I purchased my dream boat and got back into some serious Walleye fishing both at home on the Lower Detroit River/ Lake Erie and Bay of Quinte, as well as Ottawa area. About 4 years ago, I had to sell my boat due to my age catching up to me and other health reasons. Needing something else to do so I got back into air guns, and as many have noted this is an addictive hobby. I was fortunate enough to discover a German Club close to where I live and they had a 10 meter indoor range & I soon discovered the joys of 10 meter shooting. I have also recently joined a Field Target Club so I'm now exploring that venue.

My only wish is that I could turn back life's odometer by 25/30 years! So much to do, so little time - LOL!

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:45 pm 

I hear you, Bill.
I have a box of 3 1/2" #2 Steel and a like-chambered Mossberg with 2 barrels. A 24" rifled barrel and the 28" with chokes, smoothbore. I've not fired any shot loads
out of it, but have shot a bunch of slugs and round balls from the rifled tube. It really shoots well & it prefers Fosters and other solid full bore slugs to the sabots.
I think I also have 2 boxes of 2 3/4" #2 Steel as well, in the cabinet. I also quit the water bird hunting with the advent of non-toxic shot. I thought I might try it
again, but that never happened. I even sold my 2 dozen dekes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:16 pm 

I guess I'm on a young side in this forum, I'm only 52 : )

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:25 pm 

KIDS!
:lol:

After my mom moved out to BC in 2010, she still referred to my bro and I as her "Kids" or "The Kids" when speaking with relatives.
She was 90 & we were both in our 60's.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:10 pm 
Supporting Members

I turned 50 back in July........I have been clean shaven for the last 30 years working in a refinery. Was laid off back in Nov due to Covid restrictions, so I decided to grow it out lol......

Attachments:
IMG_5021.JPG
IMG_5021.JPG [ 424.85 KiB | Viewed 490 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:49 pm 

Looks Great for a young feller, Jonathan. It will fill in as you get older. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:20 am 

Woah , i was under the impression that everyone here were between 16 and 26ish... lol

Im 48 and my wife is 40..

Remington Express Hunter break barrel
KWA QRF mod 3 Airsoft
G&G SMC9 Airsoft
Amoeba Striker 1 Airsoft
KJW 1911 Airsoft

GX CS3 air compressor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:50 am 
Supporting Members

Error wrote:
Woah , i was under the impression that everyone here were between 16 and 26ish... lol

You would think that sometimes by how some act..... :axe:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:58 am 

It's ok to be a kid at heart

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:03 pm 

At my age, it's called "Second Childhood" - LOL!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:45 pm 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next