Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:11 pm 

i'm curious as to the age group here on the forum..
who are we to be that canadians need protection from?
what is your interest in the air gunning world?

competition shooting, precision target shooting, hunting, replica collecting/shooting
collecting/shooting of classic vintage airguns, any airsoft? paintball?
modification/upgrading/customizing/painting(like pete)?

i'm 63 in august.
i like getting caught in the rain, Pina Coladas and replica collecting/shooting. also the collecting/shooting of classic vintage airguns. i also have a few airsoft and paintball WEAPONS!!

bought my first air gun Dec 2010 at princess auto on a whim..
a Daisy Red Ryder 70th anniversary model. (who has an 80th model for me?)

maybe we can send er-ah-um tru-doh! a link to this thread.

Tracey Wilson, CCFR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:49 pm 

I'm 72.... Joined the CAF when I retired in the fall of 2007 and got back into airgunning with a Slavia Mod. 620 in .177 that I bought new in the early 70's because I couldn't afford a BSF S60.... :roll:

I progressed through Springers, Pumpers and CO2 until I bought my first PCP, a Discovery, when they first came out.... I now design and scratch-build most of my own PCPs, although I still modify a few commercial ones that catch my eye.... My latest acquisition is a Kral Puncher One I bought from lauchlin, and I haven't even shot it yet.... :lol:

I enjoy sharing all my builds, and have written a series of articles for Hard Air Magazine you can find here....

https://hardairmagazine.com/ham-columns ... -articles/

I enjoy Grouse and Varmint hunting, and developing airgun slugs (including my "Bob's Boattails") to help move airgunning into the future.... :wink:

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:00 am 

we're honoured & lucky to have you onboard!

Tracey Wilson, CCFR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:12 am 

I’m a 45 year newb. Been shooting airguns for close to 10 years now after buying a crosman phantom to get rid of the crows tearing up my trash cans only to find out that it wasn’t the right tool for the job. I then got my PAL to legally possess a firearm and proceeded to get my hands on a Hatsan AT44 in .25 cal my first PCP. I’ve moved on from the Hatsan but I’ve also started small game hunting with both springers and PCP’s over the last few years, just as effective as a powder burner . I am really enjoying shooting 10m targets using peep sights and a low powered spring gun lately. Which reminds me I need more pellets.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:22 am 

I'm a "Fresh" Senior Citizen at 60 years old.
Father was a Korean War Vet and enjoyed shooting sports.

I was 7, or 8 when he came home with a brand new Crosman Mark II Pistol and we spent many hours in the basement target shooting. He taught me Firearms Safety.

I took the Hunter Training and Conservation course as a Boy Scout, and Father came home with a brand new Cooey .22 Bolt Action Repeater that saw a lot of action on the Prairie shooting Gophers.
He then came home with a Bruno .22 with an extra shortened stock for me and a family membership at the Calgary Rifle and Pistol Club. I got my F.A.C and began saving my snow shoveling money for ammo.

My fascination with powder burners lasted awhile until I bought myself some kinda pump action Crosman BB Repeater for small pests. That lasted until one day I decided to take it apart and see how it worked.
I still remember the awe and armament as I opened the action and springs and pieces flew everywhere.
It was many years after I boxed up the pieces, that I bought another air gun.

A few years back a buddy showed off his brand new Crosman 1077 and I was hooked.
I was off to Canadian Tire the next day, and soon realized I wouldn't be hunting rabbits and grouse with the 1077 and figured the Crosman Phantom would do the trick. Well...no, not so much.
The "Escalator" is still going up, but I'm much closer to my ideal of having an accurate, lightweight Air Gun for hunting small game and pest control.

This sport/hobby/interest is very rewarding and I enjoy a purposeful walk in the woods in pursuit of small game for the table. I hope to be doing so for many years to come...

Diana Chaser Carbine .22
Artemis M11 .25
Artemis PP800 Chaser Fusion .25
FX Dreamline Lite .25
Artemis PP750 .22

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:31 am 

I just turned 60 :rolleyes: and am shooting since I was 12 (48 :? year's ago) with my father but mostly with my older brother :wink: , My first (and only) powder burner was a .22lr M16 style, had a lot of fun shooting target :twisted: and hunting small games, then my father gave me a Crossman 357 8) got hooked on hand gun. Keep shooting sparingly for a while then I got sick, airgun collecting sick :cry: .

I shoot them all as much as I can 8) (not so much), 10M target, soup can cover at 13M to 15M and some time at clay pigeon (up to 20M, depending of the gun..)

I did some esthetic mod, but no mechanical mod.

I'm collecting/shooting BB, pellets and airsoft. Soon to become a criminel according to the Canadian gouvernement C21... :evil:

SilentMan... :drinkers:

6mm
Not enough and to many.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:58 am 

I'm 67. Pulled my first trigger at 5 years old. First airgun (daisy cub) before I was 10. First .22 powderburner at 12. I shot a lot of bullseye pistol and long range DCRA Bisley-style rifle shooting during the 80s and 90s. After building a few rifles, I thought I should learn to do the machining myself. I built many DCRA competition rifles, one of which won the grand aggregate DCRA match in Ottawa in the mid-eighties. At one time I hand loaded for 34 different calibers. I downsized my collection years ago to pretty much the rifles I built and my 1911.
My journey into airgunning began when we were in Tool town buying tarps for the woodpile. I remarked to my wife regarding a Chinese B1 on sale at the time, "I had one of those when I was a kid". She said," Why don't you buy it?" The rest, as the saying goes "is history".
With ranges closed due to covid, many of my shooting buddies can't shoot. I shoot my airguns outside (I live in cottage country) all year, and there's a gravel pit 5 min down the road where I shoot my powder burners. My 1911 is my only gun I can't shoot. I don't shoot my powder burners at home out of respect for my neighbours. Skunks are an exception!
Interesting side fact: I feed ravens and jays (corvids) table scraps and fat cuttings. The ravens know me and bring the occasional gift. Better yet, when I go outside to shoot, after the sound of a few shots the birds show up because they know I'm outside, and there might be food...

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:54 pm 

good thread here leon. and good stories so far guys. i just turned 66. shot some break barrels as a kid. forget what kind. used to just carry them down main st. out to the old quarry where we shot them. except when we used to shoot out of our upstairs bedroom window at birds in the mulberry tree-- which i still regret doing to this very day. grew up -- worked for 45 years and just got back into airguns a few years ago.first one was a baretta 92fs nickel with wood grips from shooting sports outdoors. i held back buying a lot of the beauties that are out now. otherwise i would have lots and lots and lots. i,m pretty much done collecting but i hope for everybody elses sake that this stupid bill doesn,t go any where.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:14 pm 

71 in a couple month's time. I jointed CAF & joined 2011.
Says so, in my identity box - LOL.
I started off with a Bam51 .22, used, then a Hatsan BT65 in .177 (those might be reversed), then
a Weirhauch M97 in .177, then a Brocock .22, then Weirhauch m98 in .22, then AirForce Condor in .25,
then PP700S-A, Aretemis m11 in .25, then PP800 .22. I think that's it. Oh, somewhere along the line, acquired
a HW80 in .177 and a Talon in .177, both from friends.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:46 pm 

Turned 60 couple days ago. Been shooting since age 9. Into pellet guns from age 9 to age 15 when I got into powder burners. Spent 20 years in Bow only and shot Excalibur Crossbows. Most Crossbows I owned at one time was 11 Excaliburs. Only two now that I shoot but still own some vintage Excaliburs. I own one model of only 60 made. I am a Hoyt bow person with several. Mission Craze and a custom for bowfishing. Got back into pellet guns when I broke my shoulder five years ago and could not shoot my bows or load Crossbows by hand any longer. Had nothing to do at home without my bows so I dug out my old Crosman 357 and my old pellet rifle and I was off and running. Never do I see myself getting away from pellet guns again for in house shooting. If there is something that shoots a projectile chances are I own at least one. Because of pellet guns it put some interest in me to shoot my powder burners again after 20 years. I even bought my dream gun in a 22-250. I shocked myself in my shooting of powder burners and my friend with me could not believe how well I was shooting after 20 years. It was all because of the short range shooting of pellet guns no doubt. I never see myself getting out of pellet guns again. Some people play video games and some of us do the real thing when needing a break in life in the house. The only time I shoot my bows now in the house is when I am tuning them as I prefer sitting at my bench with pellet guns. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:48 pm 

I'll be turning 62 in a few months. I was born into a family of shooters and was given my first "own" air rifle when I was 7 - it was a different place and a different time, and I had a 12 ga bird gun from I was 12-18, then I immigrated to Canada and left it all behind until 2002 when my 2nd wife told me she was a competition shooter in high school so we went to Crappy Tire and bought a Marksman rifle, cheap but lots of fun taught my kids handling and safety with it. Then in 2009 I was looking for something to do in winter time and decided to get a Benji Classic from D&L... there started the addiction. I joined CAF and by 2012 I had over 64 rifles, and came to the realization it was a real addiction that needed attention. I have whittled my holdings down to four air rifles and am constantly fighting the addiction. Many members have my ex-guns in their collection - all lovingly tuned and bling-blinged.
I now own and collect only European, wood stock, .22 cal, non-PAL rifles - there is room for an AA TX200 or a HW100, and Kral, and a Hatsan, and a ..... :lol:

Edit.. I vaguely remember doing a poll some time ago on the age of CAF members, i believe it showed that the active CAF members are a geriatric crowd. Younger members don't hang out on Forums.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:03 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:
Turned 60 couple days ago. CHEERS!

happy b'earth day!
:drinkers:

Tracey Wilson, CCFR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:15 pm 

Leon Yrag wrote:
wheeliehd wrote:
Turned 60 couple days ago. CHEERS!

happy b'earth day!
:drinkers:

Thank you. Was just another day of the year. Wife wished me Happy Birthday yesterday, I said "it was Thursday but that's ok". LOL

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:37 pm 

Let's see what these old geezers look like!
I'll start...
My 11x48 Moodie lathe is shown, my South Bend 9A is just behind me.
My lathes are the geezers, they're both older than me!
The guy with the deranged smile is me.

Attachments:
IMG_2233.jpg
IMG_2233.jpg [ 89.05 KiB | Viewed 1136 times ]

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:53 pm 

I am a 66 years old retiree and had toy guns when I was young. My first pellet gun was bought when I was a teenager but having limited fund at the time it was not very good.

Then, as everybody else, some things as jobs, girls, cars, home, children became more important and the airgun interest went dormant for a fairly long time.

In 1997, my interest in airguns resurfaced and I bought a Crosman CO2 pistol from Canadian Tire for plinking in my garage.

This was the start of 24 years of collecting airguns. After my first few purchases, I discovered the world of replicas and the focus of my collection became the recreation of the timeline of firearms and more specifically handguns from the black powder era to the more modern models. The main goal was to do it using only fakes.

If you want to know more, this my CAF intro from 2011. (The pictures have been removed).

topic42883.html

In 2013, since I was running out of space, I thought that my collection was complete and I wrote a post about that. The pictures shown at the beginning are very small but by scrolling a bit further down in the exchange there some larger images.

topic57331-15.html

Eventually, I just made a liar of myself as I continued to add more airguns to my collection until 2020. Now I am really out of space.

In 2017, I wrote a few articles on replicas for WORAP (World Of Replica Air Pistols). If you are interested these are the links.

https://worap.wordpress.com/2017/02/10/ ... ra-part-1/
https://worap.wordpress.com/2017/02/17/ ... -replicas/
https://worap.wordpress.com/2017/02/22/ ... ra-part-3/

Now that I am retired, I should return to the compilation of my whole collection as it is presently, in 2021, and complete it. Down the road, if C21 is passed, it might be the only proof that those models once existed as legal airguns before they completely disappeared.

It is frustrating to discover that a hobby of 24 years, sometime chasing specific models for a very long time as well as spending a considerable amount of money, can be rendered worthless and possibly causing legal headaches in just a few pen strokes from politicians.

R-Gun Pete