Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:01 am 

I actually ran back to Greggs and bought the loctite moly. It was $52 for 8oz of it. Not too bad, I got a lifetime supply now.
Thanks for the offer though I appreciate it!
Unless you think there might be a difference?

I did lube it up with the tungsten disulfide you gave me. Not sure how much to use, but I swabbed around the chamber with a q tip of it, and coated the seal. The spring and guide got burnished with moly, and I swabbed inside the piston as well. I wasn't sure the tungsten was good for metal on metal.... As it is now the setup is really tight... Almost to the point of groaning upon cocking, but the shot is nearly recoilless. Fired twice in the garage, too loud due to dieseling :lol: sounds like a primer going off almost. I'll take it for a drive and shoot it. If anything though, I can probably sand the guide down a hair to make everything fit together just right. Maybe. Get rid of that little strain at the end of the cocking stroke.

This recent piston build is actually for a new gun, another .25. the first one got a little cut up, experimenting with a longer stroke, which didn't benefit anything really. But it's a shooter, I'll be keeping that one for sure :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:09 am 

Sounds great! Was just offering in case you hadn't bought any yet. Moly grease will definitely work. It's tried and tested. Just suggesting the thinner WS2 mix as piston lube as I found moly grease robbed a bit of velocity. The WS2 mix is what I use for my sub11 fpe springers. I like em in the mid to high 10s. If I used moly grease, they'd be in the high 9's. Yeah, metal to metal/anti-galling applications, moly grease is superior to that mix. That mix is only good for pistons and guides.

Yikes! Sorry about the detonation. Sounds like a bit of the mix got in front of the seal. I brush just a thin film of that around the seal and the last inch of the skirt. Then re-insert the now lubed piston into the comp tube and work it back and forth a couple times without pulling it fully out to mininize any chance of lube getting in front of the seal.

But who knows, maybe it doesn't matter as much on higher fpe springers. If you've got any sub12 or non-PAL springers though, that mix is fantastic.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:21 pm 

Oh my bad, I thought the point was to lube the chamber. So I did use way too much. :lol: well I'm sure after a few shots it'll burn off.

I do have a crosman phantom, using all synthetic guides. Now I don't remember, but I think I did use the ws2 in it. Also the gun is very smooth. I put a .177 barrel on it from a nitro venom. I had thought about making an oring piston for it just to mess around... Maybe one day.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6