Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:11 pm 

I need help in how to clean an .177 Sig Sauer MCX CO2 air rifle. I tried looking for some videos on YouTube, but there were none.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:14 pm 

Have no idea why you need to clean it... I think you mean cleaning the barrel? Anything wrong so you think you need to do so?

Usually there's no need to clean and air gun until you notice the accuracy changes.

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:25 pm 

Looks like one of those belt feed semi autos or something fancy. My guess is the action probably fails easily. Needs lube maybe. Just speculating.

What does it say in the manual?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:37 pm 

I have one~ except the power got detuned too bad, everything good. Didn't see any fails so far, however I didn't shoot it too much yet. And such a low power rifle, I don't think I need a barrel clean up in its life....

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:51 pm 

According to what I read in the owners manual is that the barrel needs to be cleaned after 1,000 pellets shot.
Thank you everyone for your replies.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:06 am 

petrop wrote:
According to what I read in the owners manual is that the barrel needs to be cleaned after 1,000 pellets shot.
Yeah... Every manual mentioned you need that however our experience told us less is better.

Regarding the cleaning job. I think the only one must done is before your first shot if you buy the gun new in the box which I never read from any manual but our experience told us that a must~ :)

Airgun is not like powder burner that after every shot lots of harmful residues and high temperature will hurt the bore. So you better clean your gun right after the session.

Airgun is very gentle thing and only lead dust there after your thousands shots. And that's not only bad things as the lead dust left on the rifling sometimes will also help maintain the accuracy... That's why after a deep cleaning, you usually need some other hundreds shots to bring up the performance of the gun back to normal...

The cleaning pellets might look very dirty after going through the barrel... That's the lead dust and how 'bad' is it basically based on the pellets you used... Nothing more strange like you find your finger tips get black colored after loading the lead pellets....

Back to the topic, I think a pull through kit can help on cleaning the MCX just like other non break barrel springers and PCPs... Removed the mag, you can see the breech. You couldn't touch it with your finger, I think a pull through snake can going in via muzzle then going out from that hole for you to put the patch on and pull back out to clean it... I still not recommend doing so if there's no obvious need for doing so...

~Target~

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:01 pm 

YepYep wrote:
petrop wrote:
Yeah... Every manual mentioned you need that however our experience told us less is better.

Regarding the cleaning job. I think the only one must done is before your first shot if you buy the gun new in the box which I never read from any manual but our experience told us that a must~ :)

Airgun is not like powder burner that after every shot lots of harmful residues and high temperature will hurt the bore. So you better clean your gun right after the session.

Airgun is very gentle thing and only lead dust there after your thousands shots. And that's not only bad things as the lead dust left on the rifling sometimes will also help maintain the accuracy... That's why after a deep cleaning, you usually need some other hundreds shots to bring up the performance of the gun back to normal...

The cleaning pellets might look very dirty after going through the barrel... That's the lead dust and how 'bad' is it basically based on the pellets you used... Nothing more strange like you find your finger tips get black colored after loading the lead pellets....

Back to the topic, I think a pull through kit can help on cleaning the MCX just like other non break barrel springers and PCPs... Removed the mag, you can see the breech. You couldn't touch it with your finger, I think a pull through snake can going in via muzzle then going out from that hole for you to put the patch on and pull back out to clean it... I still not recommend doing so if there's no obvious need for doing so...

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:32 am 

I have the MPX and only did a pull-through with a patch and bore worm when I took it out of the box... in my experience the barrels of new rifles can be filthy! The MPX was pretty clean and as mentioned by the other users, I wont do it again unless the accuracy declines, or it deviates from the baseline chrony speeds I recorded. As YepYep said, the de-tuning on these is a bit too much, IMO... and dont bother with the HPA kit, it slows down the pellets even more. I found that mine doesn't misfire or jam as others have said... bit I use a wee bit of spray silicone lube on the belt and on the guides inside the magazine. Works really well and leaves no residue I can see. Great little plinker, very accurate and lots of fun!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:38 pm 

Codswallop wrote:
I have the MPX and only did a pull-through with a patch and bore worm when I took it out of the box... in my experience the barrels of new rifles can be filthy! The MPX was pretty clean and as mentioned by the other users, I wont do it again unless the accuracy declines, or it deviates from the baseline chrony speeds I recorded. As YepYep said, the de-tuning on these is a bit too much, IMO... and dont bother with the HPA kit, it slows down the pellets even more. I found that mine doesn't misfire or jam as others have said... bit I use a wee bit of spray silicone lube on the belt and on the guides inside the magazine. Works really well and leaves no residue I can see. Great little plinker, very accurate and lots of fun!

I've fired around 200 pellets with my MCX, and now that the weather is getting better I will shoot some more. I really enjoy shooting with it, and it is pretty easy to use.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:54 pm 

Most guns, all guns including air guns and powder burning guns, especially Rim Fires, have their barrels ruined by poor or improper cleaning.