Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:22 am 

Mine is not an expensive one for sure (bought from Amazon). But so far looks good when I weight my JSBs, Daisy and other pellets...

I opened another two tins (total 4 tins, two of each) and got the same result...

I was surprised by that too.

And both pellets are very accurate in my Pro Sport tho... Heavy got a little higher fps duebto the tighter fit I think. That's the only difference I found in performance.

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:29 am 

H&N pellets like Duff beer

Attachments:
Duff and H&N.JPG
Duff and H&N.JPG [ 41.44 KiB | Viewed 572 times ]

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:40 am 

Dukemeister wrote:
YepYep wrote:
I weighted the new H&N Finale wadcutter I newly bought. Both Heavy and Light are at 8gn which it stated as 8.18g and 7.87g... However when loading the Heavy obviously tighter than the Light...

Woah! Do you have a good "dealer's" scale YepYep? H&N pellets should be good to at least the one decimal place so if you're getting 8.0 gr as opposed to 8.2 and 7.9 gr then something isn't right, my fist guess would be your scale.
Yep, getting Finale pellets. Cool.

Interesting.

I just got a scale a few weeks ago, seems quite good. I’ve been weighing all my pellets but I’ve been getting regular tins. I’ve been wondering how well matched select pellets, like these Finales, are matched.

.177 Cometa Fusion, Vantage 3-9x40
.177 Cometa Fenix LT, Endurance 4-16x50
.22 Cometa Fenix, Airmax 3-9x40

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:18 pm 

I have a "dealer's" electronic scale, accurate to 0.1grains. (I have checked it against my analog reloading scales!)
I weighed several H&N Sport pellets in .177. The tin says they weigh 8.18gr.
Every pellet I plopped on the scale showed 8.2gr.
I stopped after 10 in a row at the same weight.

The .177 H&N Sport pellets shoot well in all my .177 guns. At $7.50/500, they're cheap too.

Note: place the pellet in the center the plate on the scale, the same place every time if you want consistent readings. Analog reloading scales use a mechanical method of ensuring the same alignment for each weighing. Cheap electronic scales may be sensitive to random placing of test material.

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:44 pm 

Need to say although the Finale I weighted are off to what it stated on the label, but very consistent at the 8g...

And the best according to what I weighted, is the R10 which is also 'selected match grade' pellet (not yet the individual packed plastic box package but just regular 500/tin package. But due to the price and I actually not shooting any competition, I don't think I will buy again after I finish what I have right now..

JSBs are not very consistent on the weight according to my experience But they are very accurate... So sometimes I doubt the consistent weight on a pellet is important or not for accuracy...

I doubt and asked if these 8g H&N pellet are due to the new package they are working on recently... But didn't get a satisfied answer. Because in this segment, H&N has Heavy, Light, Pistol, Rifle... Just mixed over and confused me. Looks H&N is working on shift to the new package and standard recently so we got old and new packages to buy at the same time...

And I just happened to weight them and found this. If you are going to buy it too, just let us know how they show on your scale~

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:58 pm 

My inexpensive electronic scale (Lee Valley Tools - #20.00) only weighs to even grains.
My loading scales all weigh to tenths, whether digital or beam scales.
Of course, they (powder scales) all say they are accurate to 1gr. per 1000 (or is it 1/10th gr.?).
I have a couple RCBS beam scales that aren't worth while any more and a Redding beam that works fairly well.
I prefer the Hornady digital electronic. It is fast, accurate and repeatable, unlike some electronic scales.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:10 pm 

ricksplace wrote:
I have a "dealer's" electronic scale, accurate to 0.1grains.
I got a jewellery scale from Amazon but it has great reviews for air rifle pellets. Cost $35, totally happy with it. Even the tweezers that came with it are excellent for pellets. Like I said, weighing everything, and loving it.

It’s the Gem20 Digital Jewelry Scale from smartweigh. Tolerance is 0.02 gn. It appears that’s a bit tighter than what you guys are using.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:35 pm 

[emoji38] my electric one shows to hundreds... I used the mini electric scales before when working as a injection process engineer and knew they are not as good as it looks... Just very convenient and no need to bring the samples back to the office to weight and come back to the machine to tune... So I actually repeatedly weight many times and keep rezeroing the scale to get my result...

And just weight the Finale Light which should be 7.87g and it's a 8.00g again... Then the 22cal RS were 13.43 (as on the label) and 13.50, 13.42... Just a few sampling....

Found out the below picture I screen shot our great eBay supplier and added the weight and supply on it to show how confusing to buy H&N pellets currently... Image

~Target~

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:22 pm 

YepYep wrote:
[emoji38] And just weight the Finale Light which should be 7.87g and it's a 8.00g again... Then the 22cal RS were 13.43 (as on the label) and 13.50, 13.42... Just a few sampling....
Yes, this is why weighing pellets is so cool. Of course there are going to be differences, that’s why I weigh them, I have other good reasons, too.

I don’t know about the relationship between mass and trajectory, I’m going to find out. I suspect it’s not a linear relationship, like I found out with velocity and energy.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:07 am 

With H&N match signifies wadcutter. Final match signifies hand sorting over machine sorting. I don't know or can tell what the difference between the pistol vs rifle line other than rifle is heavier. They all shoot the same for me which is excellent.

ricksplace, that is an excellent result for an economy underlever. Shows your skill as a machinist and as a marksman all at the same time. Well done.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:58 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
With H&N match signifies wadcutter. Final match signifies hand sorting over machine sorting. I don't know or can tell what the difference between the pistol vs rifle line other than rifle is heavier. They all shoot the same for me which is excellent.

ricksplace, that is an excellent result for an economy underlever. Shows your skill as a machinist and as a marksman all at the same time. Well done.
I really have no idea about 'hand picked' pellets (I might pick up some for special need, But 500.... Oh NO~)....

It's said the Finale line is hand picked. Like the individual packed plastic box R10. But the individual packed R10 is way more expensive than the Finale... As the Finale shoots very well, it's really a good choice to buy and stock and shoot ~

~Target~

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:12 am 

eSteve wrote:
Yes, this is why weighing pellets is so cool. Of course there are going to be differences, that’s why I weigh them, I have other good reasons, too.

I don’t know about the relationship between mass and trajectory, I’m going to find out. I suspect it’s not a linear relationship, like I found out with velocity and energy.

Yep~ weighting pellets, measure it with caliber, zeroing the scope... All are cool things vs shooting ~

Between mass and trajectory, maybe on the other words, gravity, speed and BC (pellet shape and size greatly affect BC) and trajectory is a good subject to study.

It's easy, just ask why ppl like higher power 177 rifle shooting domed pellet at 50 yards.... Because that's like a laser... (why?!)

And it's hard and need lot of experiments and practiced to build up your knowledge library in the brain to figure out the answer in a short time not hours on the desk and draft paper~

Do you heard an App named 'Chairgun'? It's a great App developed by Hawke (yes, the one making and selling scopes). Very useful to get those interesting info for you from the finger tip instantly. (still need time to transfer the data to your own knowledge tho~)

~Target~

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 2:23 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
Yeah. I’m just finding out about these different designs. I didn’t know about all these HW models that are in these posts, which manufacturer. And that the design of these B3s is the same as the HW underlevers, is that right?

So yeah Rick, digging’ it. Maybe there’s a B3 in my future.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 2:25 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Do you heard an App named 'Chairgun'? It's a great App developed by Hawke (yes, the one making and selling scopes). Very useful to get those interesting info for you from the finger tip instantly. (still need time to transfer the data to your own knowledge tho~)
I was able to download and install this. I’m rather fond of Hawke products. You may have noticed in my signature that I’ve just installed my second Hawke scope. Woo hoo !

I had a quick look at the app, may be useful for me. I tried to do a couple things, seemed just a little flakey. Cool though, thanks

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:45 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:

Thank you so much for the compliment! I really don't consider myself to be a machinist, my skills are rudimentary on a good day! My old eyes sometimes can do OK when the target is in direct sunlight. Cataract surgery is in my future.

eSteve -If you buy one of these B3s, I will make a metal spring guide for you. Free. I'll even pay shipping.
Rebuild kits consist of main spring, sear spring, lever clip, 2 breach seals, one piston seal, cleaning rod, brushes and a bottle of Chinese mystery oil. All for $16.99 at D&L Airguns. I admit, i'm an enabler. CSS has both 177 and 22 in stock, both non-PAL.

Edit: yes the basic design of the underlevers are the same. One has parts that are beautifully machined and hand fitted; the other one was machined with a chainsaw and thrown together from 5 meters away. Both are fun.

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

Last edited by ricksplace on Wed May 12, 2021 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next