Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:09 pm 

My 2 Weihrauch rifles, thumbhole .177 other in .22.
They are similar in that they are under lever action. That's about it.

Attachments:
HW 97s resized2.jpg
HW 97s resized2.jpg [ 428.44 KiB | Viewed 571 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:23 pm 

ricksplace wrote:
jckstrthmghty wrote:
ricksplace, that is an excellent result for an economy underlever. Shows your skill as a machinist and as a marksman all at the same time. Well done.

Thank you so much for the compliment! I really don't consider myself to be a machinist, my skills are rudimentary on a good day! My old eyes sometimes can do OK when the target is in direct sunlight. Cataract surgery is in my future.

eSteve -If you buy one of these B3s, I will make a metal spring guide for you. Free. I'll even pay shipping.
Rebuild kits consist of main spring, sear spring, lever clip, 2 breach seals, one piston seal, cleaning rod, brushes and a bottle of Chinese mystery oil. All for $16.99 at D&L Airguns. I admit, i'm an enabler. CSS has both 177 and 22 in stock, both non-PAL.

Edit: yes the basic design of the underlevers are the same. One has parts that are beautifully machined and hand fitted; the other one was machined with a chainsaw and thrown together from 5 meters away. Both are fun.
The compliment was from another member, was it Jack? I quoted

Thanks, I won’t be getting another rifle any time soon. I get it, an enabler, me too. I'll look at CSS though, don’t know it.

Yes, I’d say the B3 is more my thing, cut up and thrown together. Ha !

.177 Cometa Fusion, Vantage 3-9x40
.177 Cometa Fenix LT, Endurance 4-16x50
.22 Cometa Fenix, Airmax 3-9x40

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:24 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Beautiful ! Had no idea what all this HW business was about

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:51 pm 

ricksplace wrote:
eSteve -If you buy one of these B3s, I will make a metal spring guide for you. Free. I'll even pay shipping.
Rebuild kits consist of main spring, sear spring, lever clip, 2 breach seals, one piston seal, cleaning rod, brushes and a bottle of Chinese mystery oil. All for $16.99 at D&L Airguns. I admit, i'm an enabler. CSS has both 177 and 22 in stock, both non-PAL.

Edit: yes the basic design of the underlevers are the same. One has parts that are beautifully machined and hand fitted; the other one was machined with a chainsaw and thrown together from 5 meters away. Both are fun.
Ok Rick, I just looked. CA$110 shipped for the .22 or the .177. That's crazy! Can it be improved, to throw pellets a little faster? Like the Crosmans?

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:16 pm 

eSteve wrote:
Daryl wrote:
Beautiful ! Had no idea what all this HW business was about
[emoji38] You will start to know these names and saving coffee money (again)~ But you just running So faster to get here than me!

I was thinking UX (Umarex) is the best one in two years since I started my hobby around 2017 because the replicas I bought we're all well packed and with a nice poster inside... Then I bought my P17, and then the HW40.... I used a few years to get to here and know these names, HW, AA, FWB, Anscutz...

HW (Weihrauch) is a famous airgun maker / manufacturer in Germany. It's like BMW or Mercedes in the car makers. (FWB, Anscutz and those guns are more like the Koenigsegg, McLaren....)

The Crosman is something like a Hyundai or Honda... Then the B3 is like a Lada or some Indian low price cars. (Can't comment on the Chinese cars now as they are just new and highly mixed and developing with too many names and types...)

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:48 pm 

ricksplace wrote:
Rebuild kits consist of main spring, sear spring, lever clip, 2 breach seals, one piston seal, cleaning rod, brushes and a bottle of Chinese mystery oil. All for $16.99 at D&L Airguns.
Ok, I think I'm getting the B3 vibe, the little upgrade path seems good.

There are two Industry Brand kits at D&L, one is labelled for QB36 but available, the other is more generic and sold out. Will the QB36 kit work with the WF600?

And there are dovetails for mounting a scope, yes?

Thanks Rick, this is a bit crazy

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:54 pm 

YepYep wrote:
You will start to know these names and saving coffee money (again)

The Crosman is something like a Hyundai or Honda... Then the B3 is like a Lada
Yep, I'm only looking at the B3, so it's just coffee money. I think lunch money is still safe

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 10:15 pm 

eSteve wrote:
YepYep wrote:

Yep, I'm only looking at the B3, so it's just coffee money. I think lunch money is still safe

[emoji38] and you are good as you know and have some machines to use and can make your own parts! Keep up the good works~

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:43 am 

B3s can use the same springs as a B18 (phantom), but with a much shorter stroke. My B3-3 in .177 was the first one I bought. After some time, the factory spring broke and I didn't have a replacement, but I did have a broken full power B18 spring that broke about 4 coils from the end, leaving 30 coils of 0.022" wire. I flattened out the end and dropped it in the B3. The weak spring that came in my .B3 .22 was 30 coils of 0.015" wire. They probably use the same weak spring on their non-pal .177 B3. The stated velocity with 7.9gr pellets is 475 fps. My B3-3 with the shortened B18 spring shoots 7.9 gr pellets at just over 500fps, so the advertised velocity sounds about right. My B3-1 with a full power B3 spring shoots 7.9gr pellets at 650fps. With a full power B18 spring, you might get close to 700 fps with 7.9gr pellets.
Yes, the B3 has a dovetail. The newer model has a longer dovetail than my first gun. I could not install a one piece scope mount on the old model. A one piece scope base fits on the dovetail of my 22 B3 with room to spare.

That's unfortunate that the rebuild kits are sold out. I wonder if they will be getting any new stock? A phone call to D&L might clarify. Regardless, I have a spare breach and piston seal if you need them.

I wouldn't call a B3 a Lada equivalent. That's kind of insulting to Lada. More like a Yugo. :)

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:21 am 

ricksplace wrote:
I wouldn't call a B3 a Lada equivalent. That's kind of insulting to Lada. More like a Yugo. :)

[emoji38] maybe~ at least I didn't drive a Lada or shoot a B3 in my life. All are my imaginations... What I know is the Lada just been sold to all over the world in its time and very ' Russian ', like a AK, looks lots of problems on it, but you can just keep driving it and tinkering it.... I love this car~ it's a pity we still have the lovely Mini but the Lada is gone...

~Target~

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:04 pm 

YepYep wrote:
eSteve wrote:
YepYep wrote:

[emoji38] and you are good as you know and have some machines to use and can make your own parts! Keep up the good works~

That's real nice of you to say. But I think my wrenching days are over for a while. I just got my last spring delivered, I even used thread locker on the screws this time. I now have two rather tidy sub-500 rifles. Just gonna shoot 'em for a bit.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:12 pm 

ricksplace wrote:
That's unfortunate that the rebuild kits are sold out. I wonder if they will be getting any new stock? A phone call to D&L might clarify. Regardless, I have a spare breach and piston seal if you need them.
Yes. I emailed them, they won't be geting any more of the kits.

Do you think I need the kit? I wouldn't need it for the spring, I know what spring I would use as a replacement.

Do I need those trigger parts?

Does this rifle eat seals?

Are seals available any where else?

Sorry for peppering you with questions, I think I'd really like to get one of these rifles.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:59 am 

You don't need the kit. All three of my B3s still have the original piston seals, and my two .177s have been shot a lot. I mentioned that my two .177s had corrosion on the inside of the compression tube (the chrome part). That corrosion needs to be removed or velocity will be lower and the piston seal will wear fast. I used a brake cylinder hone, but sandpaper on a stick would work for light corrosion. The compression tube on my WF600 had no corrosion and did not need honing. I replaced one breach seal on one of the 177s quite a while ago. The cone at the end of the barrel that fits into the breach seal showed rough machining marks that wore away the breach seal prematurely. I polished off the rough surface when I replaced the seal and have not had a problem since. All my guns have original trigger parts. I didn't have to make any trigger parts.
I have spare seals if you need one (but you probably won't). Most parts are available from some US sellers.

Glad to hear you're thinking of buying a B3. There's a lot of enjoyment in there for someone who likes to wrench stuff. Once tuned up they're accurate enough to scare the heck out of those expensive European hussies!

I'll get started on your aluminum spring guide, steel thrust washers, and steel top hat. Pm me a shipping address and I'll ship them to you. My treat.

Welcome to the club!

PS. When removing the stock, note that some of the pins in the trigger assembly are held in place by the stock itself. Once the stock is removed, tilting the action can cause the pins to fall out. Not serious, but frustrating. I made up some new cuss words the first time it happened to me.
Another PS. Tightening the forend stock screws compressed the soft stock wood on my WF600 causing the screws to become proud inside the action, where they rubbed on the cocking assembly. I used a combination of washers and grinding the screws shorter to fix the problem. In retrospect, treating the stock screw holes with cyanoacrylate (crazy glue) to harden the wood might be a better course of action.

Edit: Let me know the inside diameter of the spring you intend to use in your B3. I'll machine the spring guide for a snug fit.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:35 am 

ricksplace wrote:
Glad to hear you're thinking of buying a B3. There's a lot of enjoyment in there for someone who likes to wrench stuff. Once tuned up they're accurate enough to scare the heck out of those expensive European hussies!

I'll get started on your aluminum spring guide, steel thrust washers, and steel top hat. Pm me a shipping address and I'll ship them to you. My treat.

Welcome to the club!

Let me know the inside diameter of the spring you intend to use in your B3. I'll machine the spring guide for a snug fit.
Rick, I did it! Yeah! I ordered the thing: WF600 - .22

Some reasons I’m interested in this purchase:

1. I wanted to have a rifle that uses an underlever cocking system. I hope it is similar to that used on HW models. I read that cocking effort is light with this system.

2. I read that recoil is light with this rifle.

3. I read that this rifle can shoot accurately and it’s easy to work on.

4. Very low price of entry to this little adventure.

I will happily accept your welcoming gifts but please, you must let me pay you back for shipping. And I have something to share, it’s a top secret document I’ve compiled that may be useful to you.

At some point, I would install one of the Crosman springs. The measurements I have are:

Inside Spring .485 “

Guide Assembly .475 “

Front Spring Guide .471 “

I just received spare guides from Crosman, I have an extra Top Hat.

Thanks ever so for this fun, Rick. I’ll message you

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:55 pm 

Hi Steve.

Rather than pay me back, how about paying it forward? A random act of kindness makes everyone feel good, me included. Caution: Wife may wonder what you've been up to!
As for the secret document, if it looks like your printed targets, I'm in!

I'll pm my address to you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next