Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:52 pm 

NorthernBallistics wrote:
eSteve wrote:
NorthernBallistics wrote:
And hey, nice weather in the valley this weekend. Are you putting a salmon on the Bar B ?

Cheers man

Putting out the Patio couch and pillows that's for sure. We've eaten all our salmon from last year. :)

I'm excited for the 26C though, wow, CO2 pistol weather!!!

I hear ya, we're down to the last few packages of smoked Kokanee now.
Supposed to go up to 20 Saturday.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:56 pm 

I'm going to open my rifle in a few minutes and have a look at the spacer. And I've decided to put the long piston back in. Mostly out of respect for you guys. It also wouldn't hurt to take a little step back, breathe a little, check my heart rate.

I took the combined safety course a month ago, passed the exam. But I haven't sent in my application yet. The processing time is quite long now.

Anyway, I have another question, regarding the scope mount stop pin. Later

.177 Cometa Fusion, Vantage 3-9x40
.177 Cometa Fenix LT, Endurance 4-16x50
.22 Cometa Fenix, Airmax 3-9x40

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:52 pm 

:prayer:

Tracey Wilson, CCFR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:04 am 

Ok. I did have a question regarding the scope mount stop pin but I’ve thought about it, and I also found one thread about it and read that. I think I’m good with the stop pin.

ricksplace wrote:
If you press down lightly on the barrel when cocked, does it visibly move at the breach? It shouldn't.

I looked at the barrel and breech and how it’s hinging. It all seems very good. I haven’t checked for movement when it’s cocked, I’ll do that next time. All the hinging and lockup is snug as a bug. I put tissue on it, too. No blowing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:09 am 

But I do have a question about the spacer.

ricksplace wrote:
I decreased the preload by cutting the spacer in half.

and piston liners. Both shoot with a quiet thump. No twang, no buzz.

Ok, the spacer. Now, you’re talking about that large, heavy piece that slides over the rear centring tube, yes? My spacer is a large, one-piece sort of stepped thing; sort of 3-tiered with the rear-most step being the full width of the tube. I’m trying to imagine. You don’t cut that whole thing in half, do you? It’s just that full-width rear-most section that you cut in half, yes?

I won’t be cutting my spacer yet since I’ve reinstalled the longer piston, I’m thinking of ordering a new one. If anyone knows that part number, please let me know.

And I also went back to read about making a piston liner, and got a drink in a plastic bottle I can cut up.

Thanks gents!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:29 am 

Yup, I cut that stepped steel spacer and removed the smaller diameter piece. The spring is centered on the guide anyway, and the larger piece still helps center the guide in the tube. You could re-install the cut off piece to return to full power and the only reduction in length would be the thickness of the kerf when it was cut.
Best results with a piston liner involve finding the right thickness of plastic to make a snug fit for the spring in the piston.(not tight or the liner will shred). I used the plastic from a yogurt container on one of my guns, and a 4x5 negative from my darkroom in another gun. Some guys have good results with aluminum from a beer can. Use whatever gives the right fit.

Regarding the stop pin, some pins have a point on them to help guide the pin into the hole. I find the pin sometimes protrudes too far into the tube and rubs on the spring. Grind off the point enough to prevent the rubbing.

One of the things I enjoy about air gunning is the "McGyver-ing" guys do to accurize their air guns. Picture this: Old grey haired geezer (me) gently squeezing yogurt containers in the dairy department of Safeway. I was looking for just the right thickness of plastic for a piston liner. I got knowing smiles from customers. I'm sure they were thinking, "Early onset dementia". Hmmm. Maybe they're right...

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:13 am 

[emoji38] [emoji38] they never know why you have a smile after squeezing the thing~ ;)

I tried using plastic as a liner on a springer piston tube... However it looks very easily binded at the ends when the spring smashing inside the tube with high speed and maybe some heat... So at the end, I chose the sheet metal cut from the pop cans and beer cans... ImageImage

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:32 pm 

ricksplace wrote:
Yup, I cut that stepped steel spacer and removed the smaller diameter piece.

Best results with a piston liner involve finding the right thickness of plastic. I used the plastic from a yogurt container

Regarding the stop pin, some pins have a point on them to help guide the pin into the hole. I find the pin sometimes protrudes too far into the tube and rubs on the spring. Grind off the point enough to prevent the rubbing.

Picture this: Old grey haired geezer (me) gently squeezing yogurt containers in the dairy department of Safeway. I was looking for just the right thickness of plastic for a piston liner.

Yes, I sort of clued in that you remove the front bit of the spacer. The spring can push against the larger cut end. I wasn’t disassociating the spring from the narrow front end. Cool.

Yes, I’m looking forward to making a good piston liner arrangement. I was a bit concerned about filing the front centreing spacer to allow the liner to go around it. But I had a look at the C Tire flyer this morning and saw they had their digital display caliper for 65% off, regular $45, I got it for $15! With 2 batteries. I’ve started measuring the wire thickness on my springs! 0.123”. So I’m going to be able to measure my plastic liner, and the filed spacer. Yeah! I just measured the inside diameter of my short piston: .8”. Rad.

Yes, the stop pin. My CentrePoint rings have a flat end and the Hawke ones have a pointed end. I still haven’t tried the Hawke ones. Previously, I had set the stop pin flush with the inside of the spring tube but when I installed the short piston, I turned the stop pin in to the tube. That may very well have been the reason why my scope went off! Ha! Yeah, when I use the Hawke ones, I’ll grind the point off. I like the flat, flush finish inside. And more contact for the pin.

Yes, when I was looking at previous posts last night about liners, I read about your adventures in the grocery store. Keep ‘em guessing, man.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:34 pm 

YepYep wrote:
I tried using plastic as a liner on a springer piston tube... However it looks very easily binded at the ends when the spring smashing inside the tube with high speed and maybe some heat... So at the end, I chose the sheet metal cut from the pop cans and beer cans...

Yep, nice photos. It seems a durable application is going to be a trick. Will see

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:15 pm 

[quote="YepYep"][emoji38] [emoji38] they never know why you have a smile after squeezing the thing~ ;)/quote]

Old gentleman shuffling off to the checkouts, a thin smile on his face, with a single container of yogurt clutched firmly to his chest...
Ya, other customers' thoughts would make one heck of an SNL sketch.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:08 pm 

Humourous.

Informative.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:55 pm 

Made a piston liner on the weekend but couldn't open my rifle until last night.

My new scale arrived on Sunday morning, even the tweezers are amazing. Awesome unit. Showed me what I suspected about my favourite pellet.

I shot these last four just now, before bed. I think the scope's ok. Five shots each in the ones on the right. I built the file for those targets myself, exactly 1/2, 1, 2, and 3 inch circles. At 17m

Attachments:
IMG_E0308 copy.JPG
IMG_E0308 copy.JPG [ 231.2 KiB | Viewed 391 times ]
IMG_0310.JPG
IMG_0310.JPG [ 158.52 KiB | Viewed 391 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:25 am 

:) got a new toy~

Nice shooting and I would call the top right one a nice grouping too. You don't need to care about the two fliers when testing the groups ~ Image

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:41 am 

I agree. The top right group tells me the gun can shoot that small group without the flyers. Just have to find the right pellet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:00 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Nice shooting

Yep, thanks. I’m getting there

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next