Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:28 am 

ricksplace wrote:
I just shot this 5 shot group with my WF600 (B3-4)

Crosman 14.3gr pointed(!)

I really need to buy some quality pellets.

Hey Rick

Looking good out there. I like targets

I’m all over pellets. I can tell you, my Phantom doesn’t like Crosman Pointed. But I’m not writing off all Crosman pellets yet. I’d like to try their Hollow Point and Destroyer pellets as they become available.

As I’ve said, I’ve just got that skookum scale, I’m putting all my pellets on it, starting with my favourites. What I’m finding out is not a surprise. My accurate ones have fewer pellets on either extreme, lighter and heavier. I separate these outliers, they don’t match. The remainder, the match pellets for my accurate ones, have a notable tight tolerance. That is, a closer range of variability than my less accurate ones.

It’s really cool. Now how much these differences truly affect accuracy, I couldn’t say. It’s just anecdotal. But it’s fun! And I’ve been looking at these pellets a bit as I’m weighing them. I’m going to be looking at them more, the seams and grooves, any deformity. Yeah.

Thanks

.177 Cometa Fusion, Vantage 3-9x40
.177 Cometa Fenix LT, Endurance 4-16x50
.22 Cometa Fenix, Airmax 3-9x40

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:24 pm 

I find Crosman Premium Hollow Points in .22 rather poor with varying diameters (some fit tight, others are noticeably looser.) I have not had good results with Crosman Pointed in .22 either, which is why I was surprised they shot well in the WF600. My Phantom shoots cphp OK for plinking. Grizzly wadcutters shoot better than either of the aforementioned pellets. The Phantom and the WF600 are my only two .22 springers with the WF600 only acquired recently. All my other springers are .177 so I don't have a selection of .22 pellets yet.

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:29 pm 

Steven - further to my post on the previous page, even the firmness of your cheek against the stock's comb and
how firmly you grip the pistol grip matters and can change the POI.
There is quite a learning curve in shooting springers, even more-so with the "magnum" springers.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:48 pm 

Some really good info from everyone here.
Not sure if I mentioned it yet or not... But shooting springers can be closely compared to archery, if that makes any logical sense.
Follow through and don't anticipate the shot. Repeat your hold exactly for every shot. Find an anchor point on your face somewhere. With rifle shooting they call that cheek weld.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:10 pm 

killercrow wrote:
Not sure if I mentioned it yet or not... But shooting springers can be closely compared to archery, if that makes any logical sense.
Follow through and don't anticipate the shot. Repeat your hold exactly for every shot. Find an anchor point on your face somewhere. With rifle shooting they call that cheek weld.

Exactly! Learn to shoot a springer well, and watch your powder burner groups shrink!
I have a single shot .38 Special rifle I built on a Stevens #44 tipping block action. It has a 28" barrel. Those slow moving (900 fps) 160gr slugs are in the barrel a long time. Groups open up if your follow-through is poor.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:21 pm 

ricksplace wrote:
I find Crosman Premium Hollow Points in .22 rather poor with varying diameters (some fit tight, others are noticeably looser.) I have not had good results with Crosman Pointed in .22 either, which is why I was surprised they shot well in the WF600.

Yeah, my tin of Pointed pellets definitely had some forming issues, the raised seam for one. No other pellet I have has that. Yes, I've read plenty on the internet where these Crosman pellets are guys' most accurate, their goto pellet. So I'm not surprised that that they work in your WF600.

I'm mostly done in this thread. I'm going to start another one about pellets. You've been around for a while, do you think I should post in General Chat or Airgun Target?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:28 pm 

Daryl wrote:
even the firmness of your cheek against the stock's comb and
how firmly you grip the pistol grip matters and can change the POI.
There is quite a learning curve in shooting springers, even more-so with the "magnum" springers.

Yeah, I'm thinking of all those things when I'm pulling the trigger, I'll be more accurate when I learn those actions well enough to be more natural.

Yes, and why I may pass over magnum springers and go straight to single shot rimfire. I'd like .177 air first tho

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:35 pm 

killercrow wrote:

Hey killercrow

Greetings. Yes, it makes sense. I have a pal who's an archer. We've talked, I've seen his bow. Can hardly wait to have him shoot blades through my Chrony. Yeah, repetition. That's the way.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:09 pm 

eSteve wrote:
I'm going to start another one about pellets. You've been around for a while, do you think I should post in General Chat or Airgun Target?

Can I ask a mod to answer this one? Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:30 pm 

ricksplace wrote:
Can I ask a mod to answer this one? Thanks!

Of course, yes. Sorry, still green

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:14 am 

I think a discussion on pellets in the general chat should be fine~

Waiting to read the thread ~ I started with Crosman pellets too... However in the later time, I found the higher priced pellets do have better quality than Crosman and I don't shoot very much and not really need to cut the costs in buying pellets, I turned to mainly use JSBs...

But sometimes you could find the good deal of pellets then I would buy a little bit more to stock up... Like last year something, Amazon got the Daisy flathead on sale very cheap (5.34 for 500ct/tin and just checked it's 12.17/tin currently), and after tried it's really good pellets which actually surprised me... I grabbed a lot until all was gone...

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:34 am 

YepYep wrote:
I think a discussion on pellets in the general chat should be fine~ Waiting to read the thread

sometimes you could find the good deal of pellets then I would buy a little bit more to stock up...

Yep, good morning. Yes, I messaged Moderator J, he suggested General Chat too.

Yes, I find myself doubling up on tins of accurate pellets that are a good price

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:32 pm 

ricksplace wrote:
I use one piece mounts with a stop pin. They don't move, ever.
The one piece mount has almost 4x the gripping surface on the dovetail, and four screws on each cap.

Hey Rick

I just ordered the low power spring for my Optimus. To get free shipping, I ordered a one-piece scope mount. Yeah!

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:03 am 

Disappointed you are ending this thread without some conclusions and sound pretty good when written , but are far from a resolution in practice. I have never seen a post with a basic initial goal (improve a firearm's groupings) go down so many rabbit holes and come up with essentially no useful learning.

I'm assuming, of course, that your Phantom is still shooting like crap: If no, congrats; please show us how you improved your groups with this rifle (Pix would be really helpful).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:32 am 

I was working on the Phantom, put it back together. Set the scope straight in the mounts, didn’t touch the turrets. Had a Chrony session. Here is what it looked like.

First shot centre of page, 4 in first target, five each after.

And I do have one more story for this thread.

Attachments:
IMG_0360 copy.JPG
IMG_0360 copy.JPG [ 145.36 KiB | Viewed 397 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next